HELP! Cyano won't go away!!!

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have a 120g about 5 months old using ZEOVIT products. I started with dry sand and dry rocks. I do not overfeed and my lights are on a short time schedule. I also have 2xmp40s, and 2xkoralias moving the water around. Bioload is "extreme" with one small naso and a shrimp. With the KZ products I've recently tried Coral Snow (CS) and Cyano Clean (CC). Recommended 10 days, I went about 16 and didn't notice much of a change. I know there are other good products on the market and I'm looking for some feedback on some that work very well. Also asking if anyone else that uses ZEOVIT, what other products worked will with no ill effect. Thanks for the help #reefsquad !
1483138881813.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been fighting red cyano for months and decided to use one of the cyano removers and boy was I happy, and the system is not clean. If you do go that route make sure you run a air store in the DT, the cyano cleaner depletes the oxygen in the system. You skimmer will overflow, just pull the top off the skimmer and let it overflow for 48 hours. Follow the direction on the box closely;)

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been fighting red cyano for months and decided to use one of the cyano removers and boy was I happy, and the system is not clean. If you do go that route make sure you run a air store in the DT, the cyano cleaner depletes the oxygen in the system. You skimmer will overflow, just pull the top off the skimmer and let it overflow for 48 hours. Follow the direction on the box closely;)
What product was it?

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had spirulna and thought it was cyano for a LONG time before I looked at it with a microscope... I increased flow, cut back on feeding, reduced lighting period, dosed vinegar, dosed Vibrant, siphoned it out and it always grew back and laughing at my attempts to stop it.

I dosed Chemiclean. I took the skimmer cup off, added a long airstone, pointed the returns to the surface, added a mj1200 powerhead to the sump, turned up my mp40s for more flow. 48 hourse later my sand bed was clean. 24 hours after that my skimmer was back on line.

Chemiclean worked for me...

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had spirulna and thought it was cyano for a LONG time before I looked at it with a microscope... I increased flow, cut back on feeding, reduced lighting period, dosed vinegar, dosed Vibrant, siphoned it out and it always grew back and laughing at my attempts to stop it.

I dosed Chemiclean. I took the skimmer cup off, added a long airstone, pointed the returns to the surface, added a mj1200 powerhead to the sump, turned up my mp40s for more flow. 48 hourse later my sand bed was clean. 24 hours after that my skimmer was back on line.

I may give that a try. Are you using Zeovit in conjunction with chemiclean?

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not using zeovit but in my research I saw threads about people using that method and it worked. The biggest issue is that u have to add more than normal circulation/flow because chemiclean does suck up O2. You will also need to do at least one large water change after treatment. Your skimmer will go nuts but just take the cup off. Good luck.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a cheap microscope that I would like to use to distinguish cyano from spirulina.

First off, how would I remove a piece of the bacteria/algae from the sand bed without pulling up too much of the sand? Is it ok if some of the sand gets on the slide? Under what power is it best to view?

Second question is what should I look for? How would I know which is which? Do you have a picture or drawing that would help? Do they look totally different from each other or are they very much the same?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm absolutely fascinated by this microscope and would love it put it to good use. Thank you!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing for what you dealing with it's hard to treat.
You have a 50/50 chance, Vibrant will go after your spirulina and Ho2o will treat your cyano.

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a old syringe that came with a test kit to suck up some and placed on the slide. Honestly it took a few tries to get get a cyano mat with little sand on the slide. I then checked Google and confirmed with Twillard on the images.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy test is to get some so called cyano out your tank and put it in a clear cup.
Add 3ml of Ho2o to that and swirl for a few seconds
Let it stand overnight, if color change on the red stuff we talking cyano if not its spirulina.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy test is to get some so called cyano out your tank and put it in a clear cup.
Add 3ml of Ho2o to that and swirl for a few seconds
Let it stand overnight, if color change on the red stuff we talking cyano if not its spirulina.
By h020, do you mean hydrogen peroxide and if so, isn't that h202? I just need clarification.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back