Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats going on?

Not sure.

There is nothing I can put my finger on. I have adjusted and maintained appropriate water chemistry.
The head pressure for the stock pumps is just too much, they really need more gph for the depth of the tank distance from bottom of back compartment to outflow. So I just changed out one pump, order another.
Not sure if my Hydra 52 is somehow failing as well, need to get a par meter/barrow one.

Every tank IMO has it's personality, I know the JBJ 45 has worked for others going sps dominate. I think I am just experiencing a perfect storm of issues, skimmer broke, ATO malfunctions, light might be going bad. So I fix one thing at a time and watch for improvements.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure.

There is nothing I can put my finger on. I have adjusted and maintained appropriate water chemistry.
The head pressure for the stock pumps is just too much, they really need more gph for the depth of the tank distance from bottom of back compartment to outflow. So I just changed out one pump, order another.
Not sure if my Hydra 52 is somehow failing as well, need to get a par meter/barrow one.

Every tank IMO has it's personality, I know the JBJ 45 has worked for others going sps dominate. I think I am just experiencing a perfect storm of issues, skimmer broke, ATO malfunctions, light might be going bad. So I fix one thing at a time and watch for improvements.
Are your corals not responding well?

On jbj 45 I noticed some folks putting there powerheads on each side of the back wall to compensate for the lack of flow you're describing. Not sure it would accommodate the type of flow you are look for though. Sorry about the other issues :(. Unfortunately everything has the ability to fail. Not to push a product but I'm using the Hydor smart ato with an Avast peristaltic pump. Some people cringe at sensor based ATO's but mine hasn't been cleaned in over a year and is working perfectly with daily on/off operation. Has a built in alarm too.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals not responding well?

On jbj 45 I noticed some folks putting there powerheads on each side of the back wall to compensate for the lack of flow you're describing. Not sure it would accommodate the type of flow you are look for though. Sorry about the other issues :(. Unfortunately everything has the ability to fail. Not to push a product but I'm using the Hydor smart ato with an Avast peristaltic pump. Some people cringe at sensor based ATO's but mine hasn't been cleaned in over a year and is working perfectly with daily on/off operation. Has a built in alarm too.

Oh most definitely appreciate the suggestion. Going to order a new brand this week.

I have an mp10 quiet drive on one side and a Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6040 which is 1,190 gph on highest setting, so I have the flow. I just do not think the turn over from the sump/compartments is strong enough, each stock pump is 265 gph.

I am actually going to go back to MH 250 watts of Phoenix bulb. I love LED's but my first love has always been MH, you really see a different kind of growth and coloration with MH. Got the fixture, just now in acclimation mod.

Going to get a new brand for ATO, and forgo a skimmer for awhile.

:D

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh most definitely appreciate the suggestion. Going to order a new brand this week.

I have an mp10 quiet drive on one side and a Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6040 which is 1,190 gph on highest setting, so I have the flow. I just do not think the turn over from the sump/compartments is strong enough, each stock pump is 265 gph.

I am actually going to go back to MH 250 watts of Phoenix bulb. I love LED's but my first love has always been MH, you really see a different kind of growth and coloration with MH. Got the fixture, just now in acclimation mod.

Going to get a new brand for ATO, and forgo a skimmer for awhile.

:D
Try to keep updates. I'm was curious of the heat impact MH would have on a JBJ, if any? I couldn't hide a chiller with what I have, so I would rather avoid it.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am going to attack the heat issue with fans, ambient room temp and reduced photo-period during the AZ summer, and a LED supplement for those times when I want to a longer photo-period.

It's always a gamble and experiment, keeps it interesting. Will update for sure.:)

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having the same issues with my 3155 ato, constantly over filling triggering the alarm and stopped the pump. I talked to Roger about it and he sent me out a new sensor to wire on in place of the old one and it's been perfect since. This was about a year ago and I've had this ato for 6 years or so

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and you said you wanted to skip the skimmer. I actually just started a refugium in one of the back chambers on my jbj 30 with an inTank media basket and the JBJ nano glo led light. It's working perfectly! I was skeptical at first but i'm trimming chaeto now after two weeks.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh sigh, it's more zoe and palys dominated now, sps have given me a real run for my money literally this past 6 months.

Tank is getting better, but I have not mounted the MH yet because I am building a hood to put it into.

I will though make a dedicated effort to post an update with images.

Thanks everyone for looking though.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get the Smart ATO, LOVE it!!!!!!
Glad you like it. I loved mine too until it malfunctioned sometime in June. Honestly, I still like that ATO. I like the multiple sensors and especially the max or "too much" water sensor that sounds an alarm. I did switch to the AutoAqua smart ato micro. I can't vouch for longevity and I worry the pump that comes with it, may not last. However, they sell replacement pumps for $20.

Anyway, how the tank coming along? Did you start this rendition with dry rock? Have you considered going back to thw 30 or is the 45 working out?

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you like it. I loved mine too until it malfunctioned sometime in June. Honestly, I still like that ATO. I like the multiple sensors and especially the max or "too much" water sensor that sounds an alarm. I did switch to the AutoAqua smart ato micro. I can't vouch for longevity and I worry the pump that comes with it, may not last. However, they sell replacement pumps for $20.

Anyway, how the tank coming along? Did you start this rendition with dry rock? Have you considered going back to thw 30 or is the 45 working out?

Hey reeferfoxx, :)

ATO is still going strong, one failure but the sensor just needed to be cleaned.

Tank is continue to improve, still having some issues with dialing in sps, but I will get there I hope.

I used the same rock I have been moving from tank to tank for 11 years. :oops:

Still have to add the retro T5, I am hoping that will move the sps in the right direction.

In other news I just set up the jbj nanocube 28, it's PC but the tanks sole purpose is to house and hopefully breed Maroon Lighting clowns. My 1st Lightening arrives today to go with my miss mark white strip Maroon( it's been my dream fish ever since the 1st one was collected) I am really excited!!!!!!! Simple corals, corallimorphs, zoanthids, claveria.

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did switch to the AutoAqua smart ato micro. I can't vouch for longevity and I worry the pump that comes with it, may not last. However, they sell replacement pumps for $20.

FWIW I've had the micro as my ATO with kalk in it and the things been holding up for over a year now. I just clean it around every 3 months, if I remember. Just make sure to clean the sensor every now and then as well

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back