Finally got pics from the devastation

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well last Saturday I left my home in Ohio to come help out down here in Houston, Texas and the day after we left the 80 mph winds from Ike made it up to Ohio and knocked out power for about a week. I showed my mom the basic things she needed to do to maintain the tank before I left but was in no way prepared for a week long power outage. She finally sent me some pics today of the tank since I'm gonna be down here for another couple weeks.

Before:
IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

From Today:
Topleft2.jpg

Topleft.jpg

Bottomright.jpg

Bottomleft-1.jpg

Bottomcenter.jpg

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I am so sorry....... I can't say how painful that was to look at. What a collection. Are the SPS just bleached or are they shot? Again, sorry!!

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
god that would be horrible i hope your able to save what u can and the sps look shot IMO they could pull around but i wouldnt get your hopes up to much i just had 2 pieces end up looking the same way i think if there bleached and alge is growing on them get them out of there but yet again im so sorry to here this

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SPS aren't bleached unfortunately...those are just the skeletons.

It looks like all the acans and the duncan made it, but all the chalices were some of the first to go from what she said. The Armageddons were the main ones I've been worrying about, but after seeing the pics I can say for sure they're goners :(

The rest of the zoas/palys are iffy but some should pull through, it just sucks that it will be 2 weeks minimum before I can get home to salvage what's left.

And it just figures after a week of no power, the Caulerpa is still thriving.....

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well given that you have sacrificed your time to help others, I think we need to return the favor.

Ill frag up a few pieces of my collection when your ready, and you just cover the shipping. Frags will be on me.

Hopefully others will follow suit, and get you back up and running.

let us know if anything survived when you get home.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry bro..........:(

I am with Junior. I will make you an Armageddon frag along with some other palys and zoas and some sps frags as well. Were behind you man!

While your at it you should get rid of all the bad algae and cook your rocks or let them dry out. We will help you get back!

Anybody else?

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might not have much, but I dig it. Ive got a whole lotta frags that need to grow out, but maybe when youre up and running again, I can see whats ready.

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if theres a way i can help i will i have a micro frag i can donat rev just let me know. you are clos to my area correct i remember you at the swap i could let you ship my frags with yours anything else that becomes fragable ill sen one along as well

rebelprettyboy

xMRxCOMPLTEx
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez that hurts my feelings to see. Almost happened to me the weekend of IKE, I went out of town to Dallas lol right by Houston and left my tanks with my grandma. Power went out, but some how she knew to call her friend who has a generator and Hooked up all the powerheds to the tank. I dont know how she knew to take care of it, but she did and she couldnt get ahold of me until i got out of the club. She said tank went without power for about an hour max. Then the power came back on about 9 hours later.

But let me know if you want a few frags. I dont have much now, cuz Ive been selling hardcore, but I can send u a link to what I still have and we ca go from there.

Hate to see that

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in! I have a ton of SPS, by the time you cook the rock, I should be able to hook you up on some SCHWEET ORA pieces... (Just cover the shipping, frags are free!)

-Mike

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bro..........:(

I am with Junior. I will make you an Armageddon frag along with some other palys and zoas and some sps frags as well. Were behind you man!

While your at it you should get rid of all the bad algae and cook your rocks or let them dry out. We will help you get back!

Anybody else?
I'm in...

whenever you're ready...

thanks for helping out... :)

Kris Zmurk

zoo collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John's a member of our local Cincyreef club. His tank was awesome as you could tell. We in the Cincinnati tri-state region got hammered with the winds. Most of our members lost alot of specimens. Myself included, I would be happy to donate, but I lost all of my sps too and don't know if any of the freshly fragged zoos are gonna make it. My wife is gonna kill me...I promised her that the new 90 inwall would be kept in prestine condition and the corals would be "pretty". It's real hard to keep it "pretty" when things are either dead or on their way to it. Oh well, you live and you learn. Maybe it's time to start over.:cry:

Kris

sly fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah man, that sucks...im in hoston, lost a few corals in my 175, i have <had> a 25g competition sps cube, competitio end in 3 months and no coral left alive in it, i do have some nice diatoms tho :)

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You poor thing, that's awful. Down here we're prepared for those kind of things, but there's no way you would have known that storm was going to head your way after you left. Just a word to everyone else, we have battery powered air pumps that automatically switch on if the power goes out, hooked to our tanks. That will give you a couple days at least in case you're away.

If there's anything of mine you'd like to have when you get your tank recycled, I'd be happy to hook you up, I have lots of frags of all kinds of things.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awwwww. so sorry about your losses. that is really terrible. ive been through the same thing last year so i understand. i dont know what you want but i would be happy to send you some things. just pm me when you get ready and i will send some goodies :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back