★ DIY [Auto] ★ [ ALKALINITY MONITOR ] ★ 3 Tank [HANNA with Raspberry PI / Ardiuno ] with ADVANCED Features

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXCITING NEWS ( Hanna Coming Out with a Nitrate Checker)

There are no details other than the Email I got. (nothing on google either)

If the Regeant is Liquid
, then might be possible to make another Aquamon for (N).
(This time A Mini single Tank [simplied design] that I've been planning on Paper)

If possible, then it would be perfect for my N&P auto monitoring and ADJUSTMENTS.

I say Adjustments since my Algae Scrubber controls both N&P by Photo Period. GFO lightly used keeps P stable.
If I can measure P, I could loosely regulate N&P (with stable Fish Feeding, GFO and ATS)

2020-06-20_HannaNitrate.jpg

I hope this Ad isn't copyright (will remove if asked). Can't see why spreading the News is a bad thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK VALIDATION ( Hanna vs Salifert ) Fauna Marin Multi-Reference Solution (CHECK)

I always get a slight difference between the AquaMon Using the Hanna, and Manual tests using my Salifert Test Kit.
I needed to know which one if more accurate.

This says it all.....
2020-06-22_AlkReferenceValidationFaunaMarinReferenceSolution.jpg

They both are accurate, consistant (if used properly).

Salifert is a bit subjective on picking up the Color Change, and drop size limitation.

The Hanna stays accurate if the Bottle is kept closed tight to not expose the Regeant to Air/Evaportation/Contamination.

In my AQUAMON Automated Hanna checker, the ALK Result can shift if the Solution evaporates at the tip of the dosing line. (Minor Variations, that won't affect Auto Dosing)

-> (I solved the issue by sacrificing two drops of Regeant to purge the Tip and bring fresh Regeant for test use)
-> (I have considered reversing the Doser to draw the Regeant back into bottle between uses...keeping it like sealed)
-> (I alway test my SPS tank after my FRAG tank and that give the SPS tank a perfect result each time)

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK Monitor (ROCK SOLID, Saved the TANK "SPS Corals")
+ IQ-DOSER (Companion Super Hero)

So all these Months of Development have actually paid off!! I'm impressed and will pat myself on the back, just becuase I actually saved my Tank (and the Alk Monitor/Smart Doser made it Easier for me)

I had an Accident with my OLD Doser just over a week ago. Not the Doser Logic, just a bad setup.
It's all detailed here, including my Quick THinking Reaction and Smart Way I saved the SPS.
Accidental-alk-overdose-part-a-siphon-into-tank-how-to-bring-alk-down-vinegar-citric-acid-other-option-move-corals-to-holding-tank

But the point of this Post is what I Learned....and How this Dual Alk Monitor and Smart Doser will come together for future stability.

I got some great Data Points on how Automatically the Logic will/should work.

Not just for ALk, but the data I'm gathering will help me write the Code, for a Real Useful Report for, PH, CA, MAg, PO4, NO3 and more....

This is what I mean.

Here is how the ALK Spike Happened from the Alk Monitor View.
And how I reacted, adjusted this till I recovered and got ALk Back to Stable at Target Level ALK=8.0.

2020-07-15_AlkSpikeRecovery-Graph.jpg

My overdose took my ALK from 8.0 to over 13dkh in less than an hour if not faster.
Since I only test once a day, it was my APEX PH spike that I caught Real-Time as overdose was happening.

I did all the thing I did (in the thread), as dosing was shut off, till ALK dropped by Consumption.

Then Once I was near Target, I slowed down ALk drop by Enabling Dosing, and then with some close watching got it stable. I'm Still working on fine tuning the Perfect stability (but minor at this point).

Making Dosing changes was a breeze with the New WEb Based Doser.
(Could even do this while away from home!!)
2020-07-15_DoserAdjustmentPanel.jpg

THIS IS THE CURRENT ALK MOnitor Report.
(enhanced to track more than just Alk, but the extra COLUMNS are Manual Input)

2020-07-15_AlkSpikeRecovery-Table.jpg

What I'm learning/seeing is
Pure Data Points are not enough (Calculated STATS Help)

The Deltas (like on Trend/UP/DOWN) show how much Alk was rising or droping. HELPED see what was happening.

So I will develop more Calculated points. LIke % Change, and others.

That will Drive the ALK Monitor statiscally and maybe even my GFO reactor, and Algae Scrubber PHoto Period for N&P.

I'm not close anywhere to finishing a Self Running Auto-Adjusting Doser, but getting closer.
Much closer than watching a stable Tank.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back