20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
Mine have been together for years and haven’t spawned. I’m thinking of putting on some Barry White, lighting a few nonscented candles and putting a thimble full of red wine into the tank to see if it helps it along. ;)
Give them raw oysters
 
Mine have been together for years and haven’t spawned. I’m thinking of putting on some Barry White, lighting a few nonscented candles and putting a thimble full of red wine into the tank to see if it helps it along. ;)
Might work Kev never know....
Worth a try!
 
So like this?
Amanda I am going to say as obviously not the expert to keep lights to 8 hours a day, lower white a bit to 4 hours from like 10-2 and start there.
 
Mine have been together for years and haven’t spawned. I’m thinking of putting on some Barry White, lighting a few nonscented candles and putting a thimble full of red wine into the tank to see if it helps it along. ;)
You sold me! Man Kevin, your a regular Casanova
 
I think it can be hit or miss. I had three and they did a great job on the Aiptasia, and then on an Acan but they were just stealing the food, then a Gold Hammer that was too near their den, and started on a Green Hammer and Peach Hammer... they went to my LFS and the Peach and Green Hammers are recovering. The Aiptasia have started a slow comeback... Given the choice, I'd use Berghia every time. But I know several others that never had an issue with their Peppermints.
I appreciate your response, definitely something to think about there.
 
I think it can be hit or miss. I had three and they did a great job on the Aiptasia, and then on an Acan but they were just stealing the food, then a Gold Hammer that was too near their den, and started on a Green Hammer and Peach Hammer... they went to my LFS and the Peach and Green Hammers are recovering. The Aiptasia have started a slow comeback... Given the choice, I'd use Berghia every time. But I know several others that never had an issue with their Peppermints.
I still have one in my tank. I see it once every couple of months.
 
Good night my friends
Good morning Remi and John Doe
 

Attachments

  • 20250210_190733.jpg
    20250210_190733.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 22
Kevin, I bought a peppermint shrimp. He's small and usually stays in one place. He is on the side where the Aiptasia is, but hasn't come out much or eaten the Aiptasia yet. Did yours go after it right away? I'm hoping mine will help keep.it at bay, if nothing else. Along with some berghia
Some of those peppermint shrimp are not the right ones!
You need to be extremely careful with peppermint shrimp!!!!
They will eat your LPS!!
I’ve see it a bajilion times !
Even the correct peppermint shrimp will eventually snack on LPS!
I’ve seen it with my own eyes.
 
My go to is peppermint shrimp, quick and second Berghia nudibranchs , takes a couple generations. I’ve used both.
Stocking Nudis in your tank should go off tank size and the amount of aptasia you have.
I had about 30 medium to large aptasia in my 53 gallon Red Sea max.
I added 6 quarter inch berghias and 2 one inchers.
A little over 2 weeks all aptasia were gone and that was 5-6 weeks ago that they were introduced.
Peppermint shrimp will eat LPS and it doesn’t matter what type of peppermint shrimp it’s not a matter of if but when!
I’ve even had them eat Acros!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 46 33.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new