00W's AIO Smorgasbord

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just means I give out way to many unsolicited opinions! If those opinions were given verbally I would be a big mouth.
As you ALWAYS say to me, take the compliment as it’s well-deserved!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of tacos, decent enough advice most of the time, and some mediocre experience! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Again, take the compliment! You go out of your way to go find examples and links to our questions and you have a really diverse set of experience (almost said skills like Liam Neesom - lol)

Now the mixing of classic foods… we still need to work on!

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to reduce PO4 and Nitrate...and to convert the inorganic molecules of PO4 and Nitrate to organic molecules so corals can use it. Also so that the skimmer can pull them out of water column. Once Nopox is done doing vodka/vinegar mix...also long chain carbon monocellular source like vodka/vinegar is for growing beneficial bacteria. Algae,cyno,dino etc all like short chain carbon so they can not break down the long chain carbon,
oh thanks for the explanation, I had understood that nopox reduced nitrate and phosphate but it focused more on nitrates

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to reduce PO4 and Nitrate...and to convert the inorganic molecules of PO4 and Nitrate to organic molecules so corals can use it. Also so that the skimmer can pull them out of water column. Once Nopox is done doing vodka/vinegar mix...also long chain carbon monocellular source like vodka/vinegar is for growing beneficial bacteria. Algae,cyno,dino etc all like short chain carbon so they can not break down the long chain carbon,
Thank you for explaining so I kinda understood. The short-chain, long-chain made sense.

By my dosing ARF and live phyto daily, is that part of long-chain or something completely different?

Trying to educate myself more as my tank matures

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh thanks for the explanation, I had understood that nopox reduced nitrate and phosphate but it focused more on nitrates
in a way your right w nopox. The diy mix will be the same but helps with PO4 too.

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your tank Luis? Wow - Kev has some real photo competition and everything looks great.

Love the fish photobomb too!
yes, that's my tank, actually that photo was when I was practicing taking photos of the royal gramma last night and after many that came out lol, I couldn't compete with Kevin, besides how do I beat someone who works for Natgeo ;)

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for explaining so I kinda understood. The short-chain, long-chain made sense.

By my dosing ARF and live phyto daily, is that part of long-chain or something completely different?

Trying to educate myself more as my tank matures
live phyto is bacterial not a carbon dose item... ALF is calcium and ALK...not carbon dosing...If you like Tropic Marin products then Tropic Marin Elimi NP to drop Nitrate and PO4, NP Bacto Balance to maintain once you get numbers where you want and Plus NP if numbers get too low...

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a way your right w nopox. The diy mix will be the same but helps with PO4 too.
If you can explain to me later about the vodka/vinegar or give me something to read I would appreciate it

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can explain to me later about the vodka/vinegar or give me something to read I would appreciate it
ok...you can do a search on here for DIY carbon dose, or DIY NOPOX...or just carbon dose vodka, vinegar alone or a mix...that should keep you reading for a while

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Carbon dosing is more or less adding a form of Nitrifying Bacteria or a good source for them to increase their numbers. The specific bacteria being produced are the type that off has nitrogen and phosphorus. Vinegar and vodka are the more stable forms of DIY carbon dosing, sugar is the least stable and can crash your tank easier from my understanding from the little bit of research I did previously. Vodka is great because it doesn't use much but that also makes it easier to overdose the tank and crash your nutrients in smaller tanks. In my experience, vinegar was easy. I was dosing 10 ml daily spread out through the day instead of all at once. I didn't see any bacterial blooms and my nitrates came down effectively. However, I lost a lot of Acros and suspected AEFW. I stopped dosing vinegar because my nitrates were where I wanted them and I saw an immediate turn around on my surviving Acros. I also added activated charcoal at the same time I stopped dosing the vinegar so it could have been coral warfare causing it and not the vinegar. Either way, for me the corals all looked healthier in my tank at 100 nitrate than at 50 so I'll probably not try that again.

BUT it works. Nitrates came down, LPS were fluffier and hungrier, and I can't guarantee that the Acro decline was due to carbon dosing especially since all my other SPS started showing significant growth.

Another thing to consider, vinegar dosing (and potentially vodka dosing) lowers alkalinity somewhat so be prepared to increase alkalinity dosing as necessary.

luis angel

Tailspots and Tacos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing is more or less adding a form of Nitrifying Bacteria or a good source for them to increase their numbers. The specific bacteria being produced are the type that off has nitrogen and phosphorus. Vinegar and vodka are the more stable forms of DIY carbon dosing, sugar is the least stable and can crash your tank easier from my understanding from the little bit of research I did previously. Vodka is great because it doesn't use much but that also makes it easier to overdose the tank and crash your nutrients in smaller tanks. In my experience, vinegar was easy. I was dosing 10 ml daily spread out through the day instead of all at once. I didn't see any bacterial blooms and my nitrates came down effectively. However, I lost a lot of Acros and suspected AEFW. I stopped dosing vinegar because my nitrates were where I wanted them and I saw an immediate turn around on my surviving Acros. I also added activated charcoal at the same time I stopped dosing the vinegar so it could have been coral warfare causing it and not the vinegar. Either way, for me the corals all looked healthier in my tank at 100 nitrate than at 50 so I'll probably not try that again.

BUT it works. Nitrates came down, LPS were fluffier and hungrier, and I can't guarantee that the Acro decline was due to carbon dosing especially since all my other SPS started showing significant growth.

Another thing to consider, vinegar dosing (and potentially vodka dosing) lowers alkalinity somewhat so be prepared to increase alkalinity dosing as necessary.
Thank you Tim!

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
Little Boy Reaction GIF by Children's Miracle Network Hospitals

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live phyto is bacterial not a carbon dose item... ALF is calcium and ALK...not carbon dosing...If you like Tropic Marin products then Tropic Marin Elimi NP to drop Nitrate and PO4, NP Bacto Balance to maintain once you get numbers where you want and Plus NP if numbers get too low...
Ok, I thought I wasn’t doing any form of carbon dosing, but wanted to make sure. My numbers are within a comfortable range so wont change anything.

I am going to start Kalkwasser in the next month or two; especially since I’m adding corals and for the first time a few SPS!

I’m sticking with the WWC and TSA farm’s way - very minimal, very simple. It matches my brain cells - lol.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I know some of us have been wanting some Hanna checkers, but we’re waiting on a sale. Just got an email with discount code and free shipping! It’s strictly through the Hanna website, not retailers.

Don't miss out on this limited time deal going on now! Save on testing and enjoy 15% off + free shipping on your next aquarium order!

Starting NOW - Offer ends 5/31/2024 at 4 p.m.*

Use Code: FINSUP

Back