20230926_180324.jpg

00W's AIO Smorgasbord

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
Mixed Reef
Total Water Volume
115
When did you start this tank?
Jun 16, 2015
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
24
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
Drain Style (durso, herbie, etc)
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
20
Aquarium Stand
Wood
Aquarium Controller
NO
Protein Skimmer
NO
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Lifereef vs3-24
Aquarium Reactors
  1. None
Return Pump
Eheim compaction 3000
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
  2. Wavemaker
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Jebao OW 20 x2, OW10, Jebao 1300, 2 sicce small WaveMaker.
Aquarium Lighting
  1. T5 Fluorescent
  2. Natural Sunlight
Lighting Equipment List
Odyssea T5 HO fixture
Lighting PAR and Goals
Low
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
NO
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
77
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
Eheim 300w with ink bird controller

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.3
Specific Gravity
1.027
Nitrate or NO3
19
Phosphate or PO4
1.12
Calcium
440
Alkalinity
7
Magnesium
1300
Salt Brand
Red sea blue bucket
Trace Element Dosing
Kent essential elements

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Bare Bottom (BB)
Substrate Level
No Substrate
Live Rock
75
Live Rock Type
Unknown
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Filter Sock
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
10% every Monday

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Angelfish
  2. Clownfish
  3. Surgeonfish Tang
  4. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Zoanthids
  2. Soft Coral
  3. Mushroom Coral
  4. Other
Total Corals
6
Invert List
  1. Anemone
  2. Snails
  3. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Have a trigger which is not listed.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
Multiple Daily Feedings
Coral Feeding Frequency
Do Not Feed Coral Directly
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Flake
  2. Pellet
  3. Frozen
  4. Algae Strips
  5. Other
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Patience
Wow these are some impressive creatures! Well that settles it. I'm throwing the book at them
Don't throw the book at Berghia... They'll get squished!
 
With the BTA it is very difficult to know what is happening because they tend to move around everywhere, you do not have a way to rent a PAR meter or have someone go to your house and measure it? Here in my LFS they do the measurement for $50, my dad has 2 BTA and they are fine for weeks and then they move, when he returns her to her place they can be there for weeks or months but they always move again.
Sadly I don’t. But I did see that at least one led is out.

All the way blue then all the way white.
IMG_1005.jpeg
IMG_1007.jpeg
 
You like the t5s better and you're the one buying them AND looking at them. That is the reason to get them, brother! I think your tank looks amazing and the t5s give your beautiful fish a chance to shine.
Where does one buy T5s
 
I'm not positive you're wrong, it's just a big argument at this point mainly because there's no scientific studies proving one side or another.

The biggest point towards blue light is that typically white light is filtered out by the water by the time it reaches the typical corals we have in our tanks.

Also, white causes algae growth so the less white you have the better chance of having a lower amount of algae.
Agreed.
Wish I understood it better than I do to be honest.
I believe @ISpeakForTheSeas had a post with a great chart on which algae uses which light but I'm not positive.
 
Nah. I've been over 100 with next to no algae in my old 135.
Agree again Tim.
My old old 100 was well over 100 and all I had was green algae, which is what I'd like to have now.
 
Should I order these? These would be my first ever zoa. I have a $50 dollar giftcard to the vendor that sells these.
Screenshot_20250210_171738_Chrome.jpg
 
I'd love to hear the Smorgasbord strategy for aiptasia. What do you all do, or have done?
Note: There is no aiptasia in the second shot. I just thought it was an awesome picture lol!
Screenshot_20250210_113145_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20250210_113325_Gallery.jpg
I have a Klein butterfly and a majano wand. I have a white spotted hermit in the sump and it eats all it can reach. Usually after a while my kids/nephews will use the majano wand on the ones that the crab can't reach.
 
Last edited:
Agreed.
Wish I understood it better than I do to be honest.
I believe @ISpeakForTheSeas had a post with a great chart on which algae uses which light but I'm not positive.
I thought red and green grew algae too?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new