1 watt leds

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i have some opinions on the 1 watt chinese leds? and what lights would be good and affordable for a 30 gallon breeder and 90 gallon

harley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, they mostly suck. Get a reefbreeders.com value fixture X2 for the 90 and done, and 1 for the 30, or 2 par 38 bulbs

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very inefficient and produce a lot of heat. If you go with a 5 watt XT-E you will get about the same PAR for dollar spent on the LED. In other words the the Cree XT-E is about three times more but produces well over 4x the light.

harley is right "they mostly suck"...

Bill

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your just going with a Fish Only tank, those lighs are fine. It will not sustain corals though. Fish technically don't need any light from us.

OP
OP
B

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But im looking for leds. Are those also leds?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
B

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And where can i find all these lights ?

OP
OP
B

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so 2 of the reefbreeders 120 watt bridgelux value LED fixtures for the 90g and one for the 30g. And what is the 5-watt XT-E?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that maybe they aren't the best light out there and you could even say that they suck if you want or aren't efficient but to say they won't sustain coral is completely false. 1 watt LEDs sustain coral and quite well. Even high light sps.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that maybe they aren't the best light out there and you could even say that they suck if you want or aren't efficient but to say they won't sustain coral is completely false. 1 watt LEDs sustain coral and quite well. Even high light sps.
Nope. I just removed a set from my tank, so experience talking here, using 80 and 60 degree lenses with blue and white 50/50. for a total of 120w of 1w LEDs, had to pull em off after 2 weeks, my easy to care for Toadstool and Devils hand were dying. Put the Halides back on and BAM, they come back in 2 days.

OP
OP
B

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I just removed a set from my tank, so experience talking here, using 80 and 60 degree lenses with blue and white 50/50. for a total of 120w of 1w LEDs, had to pull em off after 2 weeks, my easy to care for Toadstool and Devils hand were dying. Put the Halides back on and BAM, they come back in 2 days.
ohh i see so then the reef breeders would be just fine, btw what is a "degree optic" if you dont mind explaining to somewhat of a noob. And if you can tell me how far off the water it should be placed and what intensity. please and thank you

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them on my tank for the last 2 years. Grows sps just fine even at the bottom. People have been telling me the entire time that 1 watt LEDs won't grow coral much less sps.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just darn near killed easy to care for Leathers, so ya got me. They didn't work on my tank, and I had the leathers darn near at the mid upper ish to try and get them more light, but after 2 weeks, I wasn't gonna risk it any longer.

asmashling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm. i absolutly disagree with the previous posts.
a good (!) 1w LED puts a energy factor of exactly 1 to the floor, where a 3w led brings only a factor from 2.3-2.6 down. the more powered the led is, the less efficient it will be. 3 times a 1w led offers more par, lux, lumen what ever then 1 3w. significantly..

it is true that you need a good cooling but if you have it, the LEDs will last much longer then the more powered leds because of the frequency.
for the wavelength of the frequency where the 1w led is pulsing - is it much more suitable for deeper tanks to bring mor par down if needed..

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 105 tall tank which is deep and do not use optics. Currently growing great sps and zoas on a bare bottom tank. Zoas are growing great on the bottom.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to use tje eBay leds atleast get the 3w. I am running them and so are quite a few people I know. Including a local reefer with a 520 gallon dt, and let me tell you he has been having great success. I know some of his leds have been upgraded but he is still running them on a few of his other systems including large Frag tanks.

I love mine on my 55.

OP
OP
B

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i dont know if to place these 1 watts or some led fixtures with 120 degree optics from reef breeders.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Rapidled, they have a section that will tell you alot, I went with the Cree 3w led's, they're more powerfull compared to the bridglux and are made by the top company in LED innovations... Degree len's 45,60,80 are for how large your tank is, if you have a large tank and need the light more spread out, youd pick and 80, smaller tank 45. Also depends on how high you want to hang the led's. Personally I felt I would be better off taking the punch for a little more and go with cree 3w opposed to 1w leds, I'v heard some horror storys(I'm sure there are success stories) but I'm not 100% convinced about 1w's yet.

OP
OP
B

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Rapidled, they have a section that will tell you alot, I went with the Cree 3w led's, they're more powerfull compared to the bridglux and are made by the top company in LED innovations... Degree len's 45,60,80 are for how large your tank is, if you have a large tank and need the light more spread out, youd pick and 80, smaller tank 45. Also depends on how high you want to hang the led's. Personally I felt I would be better off taking the punch for a little more and go with cree 3w opposed to 1w leds, I'v heard some horror storys(I'm sure there are success stories) but I'm not 100% convinced about 1w's yet.

well i ordered one reef breeder, it is also 3 watt and has 120 degree optics, i have a 90 gallon so i would assume those are just fine. i just want to know the proper way to acclimating coral to those leds, and how high to place those leds off the water. but ill still give a look at those rapidled and if anything get one for my 30 g frag tank

OP
OP
B

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was looking at the rapidleds and they look great technically building your own light i believe but its out of my budget lol. any other ideas?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 83 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back