1 watt leds

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Taotronic led fixtures, 2 of them over my 70gal. Growing all kinds of lps, a few sps, have an anemone, and they're still doing awesome. Only had them for about 4 months

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them on my tank for the last 2 years. Grows sps just fine even at the bottom. People have been telling me the entire time that 1 watt LEDs won't grow coral much less sps.
I agree 100%, i ran 1w LEDs for a few years myself, and had no problems. Sps grew on the sand bed. Always be carefull to not burn corals when first switching!

OP
OP
B

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright now for any leds how should i start it off once they are set up? i heard you should start off with 30% and each week raise by 10% till you reach 70-80%. does this seem just about right?

OP
OP
B

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as of right now i own a 1 watt led and a reef breeder 3 watt led fixture. what do you guys recommend i do with them ?

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok

LEDs are now the standard for Reef Lighting...Finally :)

Watts do not matter...Type Does

The type of LED, its drive current and optics do matter...

briann % start???? LED Fixtures vary by over 300% PAR

A PAR or LUX Meter should be used when changing lights on an established reef.

As far as the Reef Breeder Imports, they are better or at least on PAR (Excuse the Pun) with T5s so use them.

That 1 watt...Use it till it fails which is about 1 month after the warranty...Personal experience with those who used similar...

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

briann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok

LEDs are now the standard for Reef Lighting...Finally :)

Watts do not matter...Type Does

The type of LED, its drive current and optics do matter...

briann % start???? LED Fixtures vary by over 300% PAR

A PAR or LUX Meter should be used when changing lights on an established reef.

As far as the Reef Breeder Imports, they are better or at least on PAR (Excuse the Pun) with T5s so use them.

That 1 watt...Use it till it fails which is about 1 month after the warranty...Personal experience with those who used similar...

Bill

okay so as for the reef breeders, how should i start off if you say they don't have a percentage? i ordered 120 degree optics and thats gonna hold me off till i can afford vegas.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
briann

The Intensity and PAR of fixtures with similar wattages can vary greatly. Optics will also add to the confusion and to make things worse old T5s are much dimmer than newer ones.

I have not personally tested the Reef Breeders so I cannot tell you their PAR reading.

I did find a digital camera rather useful in dialing down LEDs when replacing T5s. Note the exposure of the T5s then with the new LEDs dial them back till you have the same exposure.

This is unscientific and only a very rough way of measuring comparative output but with the absence of a PAR Meter this is better than arbitrarily choosing a setting.

Then every week up the output by 10%.

Hope this helps

Bill

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back