$10 Acros... Do they still exist?

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, having brought in as well as sold hundreds if not thousands of aquacultured frags that would more often than not qualify as “fresh cut,” usually cut within one to two weeks of shipping, the mortality rate (or lack thereof) contradicts everyone you have expressed. I know I’m not alone here.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why myself and many others won’t touch mariculture.

In the end, it’s about business practices and the economy within the coral business.

If someone prefers to purchase Mari/wild or frags of these specimens, that is their choice, and if success can be found this way then that is great. There is clearly a market for this, which is why it’s pretty common. (More so the selling of mariculture colonies as opposed to frags)

Likewise can be said for those that chose to pay more for aquacultured specimens, specifically those on the more rare side. There are markets for both.

I completely agree. But during this conversation, you've made several value judgements on why chop-and-sell mariculture/wild colony sales are "bad." If you truly believe that there should be a market for both, then you should not claim that either one is evil or bad for the hobby. If you don't want to take the risk or you're looking for something specific, then by all means, buy higher-end aquacultured frags. But people should at least have a choice.

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few Ebay listings where you get some random frags for cheap. This one costs $230 for 9 SPS frags, or $25 a piece. This pack actually used to cost $99 for 9, which was a literal steal. I bought it back at those price and the corals all looked really good, and the seller was really responsive. The corals all started growing pretty well too, until my water quality stunted their growth. When I get my water quality under control, I will definitely buy this pack again, even at the $230 price tag.

This is a lot more expensive than it used to be, but at $25 a piece with free shipping it's not bad overall.

Also keep in mind eBay is charging the store/vendor 10% of sales (including shipping).... if you can find them off eBay you can often get better prices ;)

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree. But during this conversation, you've made several value judgements on why chop-and-sell mariculture/wild colony sales are "bad." If you truly believe that there should be a market for both, then you should not claim that either one is evil or bad for the hobby. If you don't want to take the risk or you're looking for something specific, then by all means, buy higher-end aquacultured frags. But people should at least have a choice.

I was more or less comparing the value of the two, and in my experience, Mari is rather inferior, chop shop Mari vastly inferior. Which should make since given the difference in pricing between categories.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do this. So does Adam at BC. There are probably a few others.

True, but to my earlier point, customers must pay for that quality. Adam's corals, while spectacular, are some of the priciest in the business. With due respect to your selection, it's also very nice, but it's nowhere near the prices we used to see in the hobby 10+ years ago when I first got in. SPS in the $20 price range used to be a category, not a "rare find" or "limited time sale."

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind eBay is charging the store/vendor 10% of sales (including shipping).... if you can find them off eBay you can often get better prices ;)

On or off, know someone who sells here or somewhere else, a brick and mortor that ships or else... I just was curious what people are using now days for this and if they had any links.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but to my earlier point, customers must pay for that quality. Adam's corals, while spectacular, are some of the priciest in the business. With due respect to your selection, it's also very nice, but it's nowhere near the prices we used to see in the hobby 10+ years ago when I first got in. SPS in the $20 price range used to be a category, not a "rare find" or "limited time sale."

+1

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was more or less comparing the value of the two, and in my experience, Mari is rather inferior, chop shop Mari vastly inferior. Which should make since given the difference in pricing between categories.

Value is subjective. If you don't think they're worth it, then you shouldn't buy them. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be available.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the chop shop setup has single handedly created the negative view on “fresh cuts.”

Many of these setups bring in mariculture or wild specimens, frag them up immediately, then list to sell. The corals do not have time to acclimate to captivity and often not even given a chance to heal. There is nothing healthy about this.
Not to mention that planning for 50% mortality is wasting wild corals for no reason.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquasd still has some fairly cheap acros in their frag section..not 10 bucks, but still worth it Imo. If you have any eye for corals you will see much of what they are selling is the mari or colored down versions of the high-end stuff. I got a few frags from them back in January. They have all colored up amazingly, and if I took a guess I would say some are the same as the big named expensive frags for a fraction of the price.

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Value is subjective. If you don't think they're worth it, then you shouldn't buy them. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be available.

Value is subjective as an individual judgement, true, but objective in terms of the success of a business. I do not buy them as stated, what I have not stated is that I don't think it should not be a practice, I think it's acceptable even though I choose to not partake.

The OP originally made a comparison of the chop shop pieces of Mr Coral (which I believe is now defunct and interestingly I recall also located in the Baltimore, MD area?) with that of frags now cosing $75-$100+.

I am merely making the point there is a notable differently between the product at each price point. In the end, more often than not, you get what you pay for. That is all.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my experience as well. They are cheap chop shop deals but if even half survived the deal was more than worth it.

Around here we have 1 LFS... Thats it.. At least that I would buy from. They dont get much in the way of cheap frags or variety though.

If you are located in Arkansas, a good place to get sticks would be TL reefs in Mountain Home. Worlds Under Water is also a good place. I do see TL reefs doing stick packages every now and then with very good size frags and prices. The Fish Tank also brings in sticks and other assortments from TL Reefs from time to time. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find a lot of stuff from any of the LFS, especially acros, under 10.00 unless your buying a 1/4 inch stub.

I like sticks and can grow them pretty easily but I love anemones, soft corals and LPS a lot more. Much more lively. I think some of the local reefers are pretty big stick guys. I'm not a part of the local club but I have met them over years at various frag swaps.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention that planning for 50% mortality is wasting wild corals for no reason.

If 50% of a single Maricultured coral dies and 50% of it lives, that is still a 50% chance of one making it, living in an aquarium, becoming acustomed to the levels we keep in our tank and thriving to eventually produce more of that coral for sale, trade or donation. I know 50% is a small percentage for some but others flip coins all the time... I dont see how you can claim it is a waste or for no reason.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are located in Arkansas, a good place to get sticks would be TL reefs in Mountain Home. Worlds Under Water is also a good place. I do see TL reefs doing stick packages every now and then with very good size frags and prices. The Fish Tank also brings in sticks and other assortments from TL Reefs from time to time. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find a lot of stuff from any of the LFS, especially acros, under 10.00 unless your buying a 1/4 inch stub.

I like sticks and can grow them pretty easily but I love anemones, soft corals and LPS a lot more. Much more lively. I think some of the local reefers are pretty big stick guys. I'm not a part of the local club but I have met them over years at various frag swaps.

I dont venture much from LR but I know the Fish Tank people very well.... I dont mind paying $30 or even $40 for a frag from them because I know where they come from. I still cant do more than that. I mean, my budget would allow for much larger purchases but my gut and my logical side says no... about $60 for anything is my top dollar.

I have never been to Worlds Under Water even though I have made the trip to Memphis some, this is the first I am hearing of TL reefs. As far as the local club, I used to be a member but it seems most everyone I knew is no longer members. I have asked on their forums about some before to no avail. I dont know where the stick guys went around here. 6 years ago we were everywhere.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ha
I actually do this. So does Adam at BC. There are probably a few others.

Here is an example of a frag of one I've had for a year now and just recently started offering.
Boom-2227.jpg

Yep guilty as charged lol, this is essentially how 90% of my entire collection was built.

I'll regularly have pieces for over 2 years or more before they are "sellable" as aquacultured sps. It's a long drawn out process with an extremely slow return on initial investment, but it's the way I've done things since the beginning. I delve into that process a little bit in this thread

You guys really want 10.00 semi/wild cuts, like Mr coral used to sling, hit me up lol, I can do that crap all day long if you really want, heck id even go 5.00 a frag. And all of my fresher colonies have been through extremely rigorous QT. Just please remember to keep your expectations on the low side.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys really want 10.00 semi/wild cuts, like Mr coral used to sling, hit me up lol, I can do that crap all day long if you really want, heck id even go 5.00 a frag. And all of my fresher colonies have been through extremely rigorous QT. Just please remember to keep your expectations on the low side.

The expections for these purchases were never high. As I stated I did it for fun, when I had $100 to blow and roll the dice to see what come of it. People will still buy the named corals, the frag of the month if you will all day long, there are just some of us that at times we like to take a gamble and see what "sticks"

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha

Yep guilty as charged lol, this is essentially how 90% of my entire collection was built.

I'll regularly have pieces for over 2 years or more before they are "sellable" as aquacultured sps. It's a long drawn out process with an extremely slow return on initial investment, but it's the way I've done things since the beginning. I delve into that process a little bit in this thread

I'll be right over.

:D

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
$10 is probably becoming a myth for SPS nowadays but I think Adam @Battlecorals can give you some pack on average $20-30 a piece.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back