10 Gal Nano got newbie

moviepastor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scored a deal on a 10gal tank rig on a petco scale (please dont laugh) and used it for a QT for a while. I've cleaned it up and now decided to build some nano reef tanks in my spare bedroom im turining into a man cave (dont laugh - all my kids moved out and its better than a nekked room).

I am cycling now with a HoB filter, heater, live rock, sand bed from another tank (wish I hadn't done that) and I got a coralife nano skimmer the other day i picked up cheap. what else do I need?

Oh, the kit has white LED light built into the lid (which I hate the color) and so I'll probably need some more lights/different lighting. Also the lid will have to be modified to close because of the skimmer.

Tank.Bro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHOAW.... ur setup Is sorta bad..........
first. MY the tank all on its own....
second. a ten gallon doesn't need a sump...
third. fill up with lr and sand
fourth. wait about 3 months then add livestock
5th. start doesing ect.

JUST START OVER!!!!!

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've never done a marine tank 10G is kinda small.

It sounds like you did some research so...
Ive havent used my 10G tank yet but Ive been assured by many people here that a QT tank can be used to house corals if its cleaned out thoroughly.
If its the coralife skimmer with the airstone, get yourself another skimmer.
That light is good if you plan to just house fish, but since you stated a reef you will need a better light. For a tank that small consider a gooseneck with a PAR 38 bulb.

Other than that I dont see anything wrong. Just remember a ten Gallon will be harder to maintain stable than a larger tank.

OP
OP
moviepastor

moviepastor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have a 60gal FOWLR that im transitioning to a mixed reef and i've done several 55 FOWLR tanks before. Been in the hobby since 1978 off and on. The tech has changed a TON since 78. back then you had limited options and a 55 was about as small as you could do.

I did clean it very thoroughly. That skimmer is crap I agree. Seems to be working ok though. Any recommendations for a better skimmer? I've seen sumps on smaller nano's online. I dont necessarily want a sump. I just want to make sure I have something that will sustain a nice reef. I am hoping to build several nano's for fun eventually. Im thinking about a 5 next.

Thanks all!

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go a couple routes.

For skimmers there is the Tunze line, Aquaticlife 115, Innovative Marine Aqua Gadget, Comline and the Hydor slim. With a 10 Gallon you are going to loose a lot of space to these skimmers. unless you use an HOB skimmer

Ive even seen people use a Aquaclear 110 with a tunze skimmer inside. I would go that route and get one of these.
skimmer.jpg

I used to have one of these attached to the intake hose of a Fluval in my Discus tank. It works pretty well for surface skimming. Not 100% sure if it will fit the aquaclear though.

OR

You can just forget about skimmers and junk all together. Ive seen pico tanks with bare minimums just something for water movement like a reg HOB filter. Just stay religious with water changes.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back