10 gallon SPS tank?

vikes1414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 10 gallon i am setting up to start cycling tomorrow. I am trying to decide what to stock it with. Is it possible to make an SPS dominant 10 gallon reef? i understand that it will probably be difficult, but if i want to hear some imput!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 10 gallon i am setting up to start cycling tomorrow. I am trying to decide what to stock it with. Is it possible to make an SPS dominant 10 gallon reef? i understand that it will probably be difficult, but if i want to hear some imput!
It is absolutely possible :) as you said itll be a challange, parameter swings are much more of a risk in smaller tanks. But if you stay on top of it, it sounds like a fun adventure:)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! i think I'm gonna try it!
Be sure to document your progress. I've always wanted to try this with my spare 10 gallon. So you may be the kick I need to actually do it :)

OP
OP
V

vikes1414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to document your progress. I've always wanted to try this with my spare 10 gallon. So you may be the kick I need to actually do it :)
Yep! I will be posting about it tomorrow as I build it :) I can't wait to start! Gonna be a lot of fun to maintain everything lol but hopefully I can create something awesome with it!

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think its too tough..i have a 20RL frag tank from jbj..its 20 gallons no sump full of sps, maintenance is simple.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one and it wasn't bad at all. Regular water changes and an ATO goes a long way. 5 gallons of new water every 2 weeks keeps things running smooth. I found temp swings to be my biggest issue, but upgraded to a slightly over-watted heater and that helped.

OP
OP
V

vikes1414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one and it wasn't bad at all. Regular water changes and an ATO goes a long way. 5 gallons of new water every 2 weeks keeps things running smooth. I found temp swings to be my biggest issue, but upgraded to a slightly over-watted heater and that helped.

Nice! Do you have any pics of it?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! I will be posting about it tomorrow as I build it :) I can't wait to start! Gonna be a lot of fun to maintain everything lol but hopefully I can create something awesome with it!
Just make sure to check salinity like 3 times a day and you should be good! Oh man you can do water changes with a pitcher ! Scooooop, Lucky !

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Do you have any pics of it?

Not the best, but it's the last one I could find. Night time pic so a lot of stuff is closed up too... Nothing too fancy. Some caps, setosa, pocilipora, a pc rainbow and a couple stags. It was a great tank. It's all in my 40B now.

img_0263-jpg.553090

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can totally do it. As said temp and sg will be whatxyou need to watch. Set up an ATO AWC system and done. A160, Prime HD or XR15 for lighting and a small power head to provide flow.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest thing with small acro tanks is longevity (ask me how I know). Everything will be a bit less stable and eventually, you will make some stuff mad and it can die back. You need to watch it every day to keep stuff stable. If you do happen to have a nice run of stability, then all of your stuff will outgrow the tank soon in a catch-22 kind of deal... you kinda have to treat them like a bonsai tree for constant pruning. Fortunately, I could never get as fast of growth in a 10g acro tank as I did my 240, so I got to enjoy it longer... stuff did OK, but without the rock-solid stability, nothing thrived to the max, but it did good.

I should say that I mostly did super-hardy stuff like ORA and time tested frags like GARF Bonsai and the like.

Maturity is going to be key, so have some patience.

Set your expectations appropriately. If you are really good at this, then you will be one of the exceptions and not the rule.. most people struggle to do SPS in 10g tanks, but not all.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ten gallon is on its way to becoming an sps reef. The fun thing about smaller tanks is you can light em for cheap! Once or twice a week water changes as export and some carbon is really at that is required matinence wise (until you have to start dosing). Don’t expect crazy growth or anything but I expect coloring them up will be easier with more light plus more nutrients.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very possible, however, as the frags grow they will consume more and more elements from the water making it more and more unstable and thus, a tank crash. If you can get a dosing system, and forsure bright lights.

Jberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toughest part for me was keeping Calcium high enough. Not enough water volume for all the sps. I used two part Calcium for nano tanks and that helped alot.

OP
OP
V

vikes1414

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest thing with small acro tanks is longevity (ask me how I know). Everything will be a bit less stable and eventually, you will make some stuff mad and it can die back. You need to watch it every day to keep stuff stable. If you do happen to have a nice run of stability, then all of your stuff will outgrow the tank soon in a catch-22 kind of deal... you kinda have to treat them like a bonsai tree for constant pruning. Fortunately, I could never get as fast of growth in a 10g acro tank as I did my 240, so I got to enjoy it longer... stuff did OK, but without the rock-solid stability, nothing thrived to the max, but it did good.

I should say that I mostly did super-hardy stuff like ORA and time tested frags like GARF Bonsai and the like.

Maturity is going to be key, so have some patience.

Set your expectations appropriately. If you are really good at this, then you will be one of the exceptions and not the rule.. most people struggle to do SPS in 10g tanks, but not all.

Thank you for this! I really am trying not o be patient!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a 22g sps nano. I know it's not a 10g, but with LR, I figured around 12g - 14g total. Stability is the key. Temp and salinity can jump rapidly, but it doesn't take much to have an alk spike unless you have a really accurate doser (GHL Doser 2), even then, you really need to monitor all parameters constantly. I did weekly 10-15% water changes and dosed 2 part. I ran skimmerless for nearly two years, until a long winter prevented me from opening the windows.
b64aff888afc0874c87a1353940debe1.jpg

7a4b63ada129b7eaf754df4484ca85fa.jpg

Sorry for the blue pics, this was before getting a filter for the phone.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back