OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish and the like tend to be a bit jumpy, I have a geometric pygmy hawk with my pistol shrimp and goby and he's a super cool dude. I'd check out a blue neon goby, they are fun and stay small.
I was already planning on getting a lid. neon goby's seem fun, but aren't they a "cleaner" fish will it bother the other fish in the tank trying to "clean" them
Red firefish seem to be less skittish from what I’ve read. Mine would greet me by the glass and acclimated to tank life rather quickly.
Clown is always an option. Coral gobies and neons are fun fish. Neons do like the sandbed though and may get into fights with the shrimp and goby.
I have heard clowns are aggressive and I can't keep other fish with them in a 10 gallon.

I think if space and aggression isn't a issue I will get a red firefish

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was already planning on getting a lid. neon goby's seem fun, but aren't they a "cleaner" fish will it bother the other fish in the tank trying to "clean" them

I have heard clowns are aggressive and I can't keep other fish with them in a 10 gallon.

I think if space and aggression isn't a issue I will get a red firefish
Neons are technically a cleaner, but don’t have to be. Plus it’s instant street cred for friends when you stick your hand in and he comes right over and grooms you. Lol.

clowns can be aggressive, but usually when they are hosting with a mate. It’s kinda when you add stuff. First fish in usually are the boldest.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neons are technically a cleaner, but don’t have to be. Plus it’s instant street cred for friends when you stick your hand in and he comes right over and grooms you. Lol.

clowns can be aggressive, but usually when they are hosting with a mate. It’s kinda when you add stuff. First fish in usually are the boldest.
tail spot blennys and neon goby's look kind of similar will that be a issue?
If I was going to have clowns I would want a pair I'm going to wait until I have a bigger tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon gobies aren’t that aggressive. Mine would try to clean my fish, but none cared for it so they swam away. Scared the crap out of my firefish but otherwise no issues. Should be okay with the blenny. Both occupy different areas of the tank and are very peaceful.
Firefish is good because it is always out and about, so it gives you something to enjoy.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the current list is

tail spot blenny

yellow watchman goby with candy cane pistol shrimp

neon goby

what should be the first fish?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d start with the neon. It will pick a burrow in the sand and you are going to want it to have a territory before the watchman claims the whole tank floor. I would recommend a stoniogobiops goby as they are far less territorial and more likely to share the tank space. Yellow watchman isn’t aggressive, just less tolerant of intruders.
Shrimp goby or blenny order doesn’t really matter, whichever you can get first is fine.

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d start with the neon. It will pick a burrow in the sand and you are going to want it to have a territory before the watchman claims the whole tank floor. I would recommend a stoniogobiops goby as they are far less territorial and more likely to share the tank space. Yellow watchman isn’t aggressive, just less tolerant of intruders.
Shrimp goby or blenny order doesn’t really matter, whichever you can get first is fine.
are stoniogobiops yashas? is there a different type that would be similar, yashas are expensive

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popular stoniogobiops are yasha and high fin red banded. Red banded is pretty cheap and attractive looking.
Dracula is also one but quite expensive.
the high fin red banded is pretty.
I forgot about inverts ;Facepalm(except for pistol shrimp) I will research them later

OP
OP
fishlover1478

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the high fin red banded is pretty.
I forgot about inverts ;Facepalm(except for pistol shrimp) I will research them later
I am back! I have made some progress with the tank I got a aquascape done and I ordered some ammonia and filter socks. I might be going to the lfs to get a lid and a bacteria source(fritz TurboStart, and or something from one of their reefs like ceramic media or rubble)

tail spot blenny,
hi fin red banded goby,
neon goby,
red firefish???

so for the invert stocking
Candy cane pistol shrimp,
another type of shrimp? maybe skunk cleaner or Anemone shrimp(Sexy shrimp I don't like this name)
Rock flower Anemone(s)?
Feather Dusters?

Thanks for the help.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am back! I have made some progress with the tank I got a aquascape done and I ordered some ammonia and filter socks. I might be going to the lfs to get a lid and a bacteria source(fritz TurboStart, and or something from one of their reefs like ceramic media or rubble)

tail spot blenny,
hi fin red banded goby,
neon goby,
red firefish???

so for the invert stocking
Candy cane pistol shrimp,
another type of shrimp? maybe skunk cleaner or Anemone shrimp(Sexy shrimp I don't like this name)
Rock flower Anemone(s)?
Feather Dusters?

Thanks for the help.
You could probably add the firefish with all of them, gobies are very low waste.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back