10 Gallon Sump Ideas

jeep454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little standalone HOB filter isn't cutting it anymore. I have no Skimmer and rather than just add a little HOB Skimmer I will be converting a 10 Gallon I have been using to prep water for water changes into a sump. Frequent water changes are getting annoying and I get frequent algae and bacteria blooms. Can anyone recommend how to set up this 10 Gallon sump? I have found plenty of baffle kits that will give me 3 chambers. What should I do?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All my sumps have been baffle-less. Just an open tank with equipment in it. . . but I see the appeal.

I would keep it simple, 3 chambers 2 or 3 baffles. Chamber one would be filter sock (can buy HOB filter sock holder)(also I recommend reef diapers), second chamber with consistent water level would be fuge and skimmer, third would be for ATO and return pump.

You could design the first baffle to be partially closed on the bottom so that water has to flow through the sock then other media before going under the baffle.

OP
OP
J

jeep454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my sumps have been baffle-less. Just an open tank with equipment in it. . . but I see the appeal.

I would keep it simple, 3 chambers 2 or 3 baffles. Chamber one would be filter sock (can buy HOB filter sock holder)(also I recommend reef diapers), second chamber with consistent water level would be fuge and skimmer, third would be for ATO and return pump.

You could design the first baffle to be partially closed on the bottom so that water has to flow through the sock then other media before going under the baffle.
Sounds perfect for what I need. One question though.. how would I keep the fuge and skimmer in same chamber? Wouldnt the skimmer get continuesly clogged with algae clippings?

OP
OP
J

jeep454

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on many factors, not the least of which is the size of your existing tank, what you plan to go with for a return pump, overflow, etc.
30 Gallon tank
Would I need an overflow or could I just go with the generic intake and return hoses/pipes? I know the rule of thumb is a return pump with flow equaling 5x-10x the tank capacity. Any recommendations?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds perfect for what I need. One question though.. how would I keep the fuge and skimmer in same chamber? Wouldnt the skimmer get continuesly clogged with algae clippings?
I mean I guess it could, but has not been an issue for me (though I don't grow chaeto very fast anymore as my nutrients are pretty low). A few things you could do. . . make a solid or mesh barrier, this can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it (coarse sponge on skimmer intake probably work, or put the skimmer in an open container, like a bucket, that is not as tall as the water level).

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
30 Gallon tank
Would I need an overflow or could I just go with the generic intake and return hoses/pipes? I know the rule of thumb is a return pump with flow equaling 5x-10x the tank capacity. Any recommendations?
I have never used an overflow, just 2 bulkheads/bulkhead strainer. . . this method can be loud though. . . I use a return jet that goes over the rim of the tank for my return.

I like aquatop pumps, have been very reliable for me. Not the quietest, but very affordable.

Think this is the one I use on my 29 gallon tank:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back