10 year old clown fish is very ill. Please help ASAP. May die...

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I'm trying my hardest to save the fish. Its been in the hospital tank for 3 days now and wont eat swims head first down nearly all day besides at night when I see the fish swimming sideways sometimes. I think something might have spread to the bladder because of some bounces issues also the gills I noticed were inflamed around the same time and shes breathing heavy for the past 3 days. It looks like the entire fishes is being affected. The only things ok are the eyes, nose and head are perfectly clear. I've been treating with paraguard on day 3 no improvement it said in their forums to treat "a wide range of bacterial infections." Now I can see the fish up close there are zero not one white bumps or spots on the fish. Brooks/velvet all of them are out. I'm thinking about switching to API Furan 2. I read online if one bactericidal medication doesn't work after 3 days switch to another. Any thoughts? Far as buying a microscope and scrapping the fish I don't exactly want to do that that could kill the fish. Any thoughts?
Scraping doesn’t kill the fish anymore than scraping your cheek for a dna test would kill a human.

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scraping doesn’t kill the fish anymore than scraping your cheek for a dna test would kill a human.

It might if the DNA test swab broke the skin and full of dangerous bakt

It might and probably would if the swab was coated with dangerous bacteria and or the person has a weak immune system.

I myself over the years have learned when I brush against those rocks and get a cut on my finger tips because their sharp I often run a low grade fever within hours. At first I thought it was in my mind.... Then I realized it wasn't I read warning online not to handle live rocks with your bare hands for that same reason.

Thats why I don't handle them anymore and if I do I'm very careful with usually thick gloves on.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good luck with the fish - I think you might be underrating duration-wise. no matter what medication you are using You're afraid that the fish is getting too many madications - and you're afraid about the infection - but - the biggest risk I think is the infection

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might if the DNA test swab broke the skin and full of dangerous bakt

It might and probably would if the swab was coated with dangerous bacteria and or the person has a weak immune system.

I myself over the years have learned when I brush against those rocks and get a cut on my finger tips because their sharp I often run a low grade fever within hours. At first I thought it was in my mind.... Then I realized it wasn't I read warning online not to handle live rocks with your bare hands for that same reason.

Thats why I don't handle them anymore and if I do I'm very careful with usually thick gloves on.
That’s is a bit far fetched and the swabs are sterile. Been in the business of swabbing many a creature human and animal alike for nearly 30 years and never seen it happen. We would be treating a lot of people with too many antibiotics if we didn’t find the cause and source first. But I get your apprehension. Good luck sounds like you have some sound advice so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s is a bit far fetched and the swans are sterile. Been in the business of swabbing many a creature human and animal alike for nearly 30 years and never seen it happen. We would be treating a lot of people with too many antibiotics if we didn’t find the cause and source first. But I get your apprehension. Good luck sounds like you have some sound advice so far.

I'm not sure what your point is to comparing swabbing sterile cotton with brushing against sharp live rock from the ocean covered in millions individual bacteria are bodies are not accustomed to. Here is a link to a user who had a bad experience with exactly what I was talking about right here on reef2reef http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2323499

"I sustained the scratch on Saturday afternoon and did not think anything of it. I have nicked my hands probably a hundred times in this hobby and never had any negative consequences. On Sunday morning, at about 7 am, I woke up in severe pain. My forearm was EXTREMELY swollen and I clearly had a fever/ chills. Now, I don't normally go to the doctor unless I am about to die, but in this instance I immediately asked my wife to take me to the ER."

You can read along further if you like... Either way, this is the emergency section. I don't want to take up space here.

So far my clown is doing great just have to keep an eye on a few things I've noticed.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think he was talking about sharp rocks. Mainly, a swab (sterile or not) shouldn't break the skin. That's what I meant when I jokingly said you were doing it too hard if it did. ;Happy The bacteria you would want to be looking at would be in the mucous. Honestly, just picking up the fish in your hand would likely transfer enough to see what was going on microscopically. Thats why i suggested a gloved hand so it wouldn't mix with your own cells and skin flora. But it's not a big deal if you don't feel comfortable with it.

I am assuming the fishy is still alive? Is he enjoying his anemone?

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat for brook. I had this in my tank once. Looks just like it except everything died in like 48 hours

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat for brook. I had this in my tank once. Looks just like it except everything died in like 48 hours
@Bleigh

Thanks for all the help guys. This has been going on for weeks it's not brooks. Odd not everything is brooks. It's been years since I added a fish brooks must have become a real problem in the trade bad as ick was back in the day. It's a type of bacterial infection and could morphed into multiple but definitely hemorrhagic septicemia was/is mixed in here. When it was at it's worse I could see it now I know what it is and believe the support at seachem mentioned it once.

Well most of the medications instructions was to treat for less time than I actually did. I kind of felt and what I've read is the antibiotics help but it's the immune system that cures the fish. Especially since this isn't parasitic like Seachem also noted.

I don't know if the fish will ever fully recover will see now it's back in clean water... I just couldn't let the fish go on living off antibiotics forever in goup of medication. Not the way I want the fish to go out especially if it is age.

Kanaplex for one is reported to be hard on the kidneys and liver and I basically dossed twice the length of time.

Oh oops I misunderstood him Bleigh. I'm going to take another video eventually. The black widow anemone has doubled in size in the two weeks I've had it everything in my reef grows fast which is a bit of a problem. It was flamming bright red tonight with white webbing all in the middle and the clown just hovers over it and anemone reacted like it wanted to take in food every time he touched a tenticle.

I was reading this is part of assimilation process and eventually the anemone can't tell it's self apart from the fish.

Thanks again guys

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol... no worries. I thought the wires must have gotten cross somewhere along the way. Lol... Let the record reflect: It makes me laugh that people are coming on and still saying it looks like Brook. It may, but the symptomatology isn't consistent at all. I'm sure your diagnosis is accurate. Fingers crossed he pulls through!

Also... how can you not share a picture of this anemone after describing it so beautifully???? Hopefully they bond and both live for many more years!!! Fingers crossed!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol... no worries. I thought the wires must have gotten cross somewhere along the way. Lol... Let the record reflect: It makes me laugh that people are coming on and still saying it looks like Brook. It may, but the symptomatology isn't consistent at all. I'm sure your diagnosis is accurate. Fingers crossed he pulls through!

Also... how can you not share a picture of this anemone after describing it so beautifully???? Hopefully they bond and both live for many more years!!! Fingers crossed!
It might look (it doesnt) like Brook - its not acting like Brook - its probably not Brook. If its a clown everyone says its 'brook'. Lets let Brook alone..

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might look (it doesnt) like Brook - its not acting like Brook - its probably not Brook. If its a clown everyone says its 'brook'. Lets let Brook alone..

But it sounds so fancy to say it... brooklynella.... brooklynella.... like... maybe some expensive desert.... that leaves you as blissed out as an afternoon of sitting next to a babbling brook..... just kidding... ;Hilarious

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you luck with your clown. I have read where clowns can live twice as long as yours. Mine are about 8 or so. Super healthy. Keep trying I don't think she is to old.

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bleigh hi here are some updated photos and a video

Hmm the fish basically wants to eat none stop. It won't host the anenome yet but getting there. Once or twice when he tried to take food from it I think he got zapped. It was like electric hit him for a few seconds. Now he swims near and hovers around it.

My Dad who also knows the fish well but doesn't feed him everyday says his color is coming back if it is it's very little and for the amount of food the my clown is eating it's only put on a little bit of weight... Maybe it will take time. Either way 100% improvement from where I started. Some were saying to do the unthinkable....

The gills still look a little inflamed and but this guys breathing has always seemed to be a little on the heavy side and he just ate a lot.

The skin looks more like a worn piece of leather than anything still wrong.

It's not glass acrlic so not super clear but just temporary and I also bought a nano wave maker but don't exactly want to put in there with the anenome just yet.

My guess a few people thought the fish actually didn't make it.

20190916_175927.jpg 20190916_175854.jpg

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it sounds so fancy to say it... brooklynella.... brooklynella.... like... maybe some expensive desert.... that leaves you as blissed out as an afternoon of sitting next to a babbling brook..... just kidding... ;Hilarious

Bleigh, You made me hungry with that description. I think we would need a fluted glass with Amber liquid in it to complete the scene.

Blueskys I have a mandarin that I received in June. Very very thin. Belly was sunken. He has been eating well and very slowly putting on weight. Still thin but not on the verge of starving anymore. Looking better every week. Just saying it takes time to gain it back once lost.

OP
OP
B

Blueskys001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleigh, You made me hungry with that description. I think we would need a fluted glass with Amber liquid in it to complete the scene.

Blueskys I have a mandarin that I received in June. Very very thin. Belly was sunken. He has been eating well and very slowly putting on weight. Still thin but not on the verge of starving anymore. Looking better every week. Just saying it takes time to gain it back once lost.

Thanks for the heads up.
I mean he's eating like a shark so that part is good.

Yah sounds like Brooks is the boogey man of the reef world now.

If I had treated for Brooks I would have got nowhere besides maybe kill the fish

It was so touch and go

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Bleigh hi here are some updated photos and a video

Hmm the fish basically wants to eat none stop. It won't host the anenome yet but getting there. Once or twice when he tried to take food from it I think he got zapped. It was like electric hit him for a few seconds. Now he swims near and hovers around it.

My Dad who also knows the fish well but doesn't feed him everyday says his color is coming back if it is it's very little and for the amount of food the my clown is eating it's only put on a little bit of weight... Maybe it will take time. Either way 100% improvement from where I started. Some were saying to do the unthinkable....

The gills still look a little inflamed and but this guys breathing has always seemed to be a little on the heavy side and he just ate a lot.

The skin looks more like a worn piece of leather than anything still wrong.

It's not glass acrlic so not super clear but just temporary and I also bought a nano wave maker but don't exactly want to put in there with the anenome just yet.

My guess a few people thought the fish actually didn't make it.

20190916_175927.jpg 20190916_175854.jpg

Great news

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let’s do this!!

Hopefully all the fish keep getting better!

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad he’s looking better. I don’t know why people are so quick to call things brook. Im kind of coming around to the idea of not prophylactically treating and only observing and treating if see a problem. I watch my fish a lot, so if they’re acting funny, I notice right away. If I didn’t have the same amount of time, that may not be as effective though.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back