100 gallon Rubbermaid curing tub Parameters

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FA95E0A2-15E1-45B1-BF76-36A75B91BE3E.jpeg
I I am curing around 200 pounds of rock and It’s been curing for 48 days. One powerhead, two pumps for circulation, and two heaters. Sixty pounds came from a well established 20 year old tank. Every four days I add the dirty filer floss from my Bio Cube 32 to feed the bacteria. I added two bottles of Turbo Start 900 in the beginning. Parameters today are in the pic.
8677C9B2-CF16-4654-9995-D3F3462A4FA1.jpeg

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are good to go....if that's what your asking.

To speed up cycle (according to Dr. Tim)....for someone just starting a cycle:
-Lower SG to 1.015 (after cycled, slowly raise over 3-4 days)
-Temp. 85F
-Keep dark
-Keep nitrites less than 5 ppm (Water change when above).

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are good to go....if that's what your asking.

To speed up cycle (according to Dr. Tim)....for someone just starting a cycle:
-Lower SG to 1.015 (after cycled, slowly raise over 3-4 days)
-Temp. 85F
-Keep dark
-Keep nitrites less than 5 ppm (Water change when above).
Thank you!

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not worried about speeding up the cycle. I was just curious if those numbers are good to go and how often I should do a water change or if I should do them at all or just top it off with RODI water.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will go in the big display tank but none of the water will go with them.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly after you mentioned having added the established rock I wouldn't have added anything after that point. There's nothing to cycle at that point. Just wait for the bacteria to colonize the dead rock. Based on your readings you're over feeding on my opinion. IMO doing nothing but exporting ammonia via water changes you should have been cycled in 21 days or so. That you have .5 ammonia after 48 days is a bit odd. If you put in established live rock adding bottle bac was really a waste of $$. Just my 2¢....

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly after you mentioned having added the established rock I wouldn't have added anything after that point. There's nothing to cycle at that point. Just wait for the bacteria to colonize the dead rock. Based on your readings you're over feeding on my opinion. IMO doing nothing but exporting ammonia via water changes you should have been cycled in 21 days or so. That you have .5 ammonia after 48 days is a bit odd. If you put in established live rock adding bottle bac was really a waste of $$. Just my 2¢....
I forgot to add that in order to feed the bacteria I also put about 30 gallons of dirty water from my other tanks into the tub so that is where the ammonia is coming from.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank (set of rocks in tub :) ) was fully cycled long ago. All of it is fully completely cycled, totally, not lacking completion in every param. The reasons your params don’t line up:

you don’t have to supplement, buy, dose, feed, inoculate, you are the most done I’ve seen for a cycling example in ten years. Dont buy bottled bac, it’s triple inoculated plus triple submersion time

when you tested ammonia using a kit other than seneye, we get the false stuck .5 which cannot occur in reefing in the condition you’ve made for curing, it’s a misread on paper and thousands of tanks are affected by misread, and bottle bac is sold redundantly due to them, transferring out our cash into seller’s pockets.

nitrite doesn’t factor at all here. This is the most done cycle on this forum and on any other one currently discussing stuck cycles. Nice job on thorough, thorough proper prep.

if you stopped feeding for ten years, but kept topped off, it will still pass oxidation testing as a cycle cannot be starved in an open-topped setup, natural feeds get in. Organics already there are permanent feed stores

if you changed all water for new, and never dosed anything again, and waited ten years topping off the tank, it would still pass oxidation testing, as the hallmark rule of a completed cycle is it can NOT be starved out and it can’t be undone by any degree of full water changes.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with Rob

merely adding live rock to dry rock, feeding nothing, waiting 48 days is just as cycled now as it is from adding six forms of bac input. Rob’s right, twenty days in by association cycling its complete. We have threads that track association cycle times, then test the new rocks separately, and they’re done by day twenty which coincides nicely with every cycling chart we have as a reference.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank (set of rocks in tub :) ) was fully cycled long ago. All of it is fully completely cycled, totally, not lacking completion in every param. The reasons your params don’t line up:

you don’t have to supplement, buy, dose, feed, inoculate, you are the most done I’ve seen for a cycling example in ten years. Dont buy bottled bac, it’s triple inoculated plus triple submersion time

when you tested ammonia using a kit other than seneye, we get the false stuck .5 which cannot occur in reefing in the condition you’ve made for curing, it’s a misread on paper and thousands of tanks are affected by misread, and bottle bac is sold redundantly due to them, transferring out our cash into seller’s pockets.

nitrite doesn’t factor at all here. This is the most done cycle on this forum and on any other one currently discussing stuck cycles. Nice job on thorough, thorough proper prep.

if you stopped feeding for ten years, but kept topped off, it will still pass oxidation testing as a cycle cannot be starved in an open-topped setup, natural feeds get in. Organics already there are permanent feed stores

if you changed all water for new, and never dosed anything again, and waited ten years topping off the tank, it would still pass oxidation testing, as the hallmark rule of a completed cycle is it can NOT be starved out and it can’t be undone by any degree of full water changes.
Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back