OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't agree more :) Good thing you found a way working for you.

We have tried some different setting with red (660 nm) and we have some different observations.

In this 10000L tank, the red is on 100% on our Heliospectra LX 600W. I tested just that LED with only red for PAR but don't remember the numbers, but it's a lot. In this tank that seems to work fine. But remember that the light in this tank get mixed with a couple of metal halides

In a LED only tank we did have some unhappy corals when we had 3 Heliospectra LX 600W on 100%, even if the corals is deeper/further away from the LED. We did a change and lowered the red. Now the spectrum(tested with Li-core) alomst looks like Radion G1 :)
But I can't say the corals look great, but at least better. But this isn't a great SPS tank, this is our "shark tank". So it's hard to compare between tanks.

So I saw a theory that the corals needed some % blue to be able to handle a little more red light.
So we did a test in our frag tank connected to the 10000L tank. One with 50/50 Red and Blue(660 and 420nm) and one with only red(660nm). We meassured PAR 80 under both lamps. In this test after 55 days all corals (30 pcs, 5 species) where alive in red/blue, some where not alive in only red. We meassured weight for 3 species, and the red/blue had grown well and clearly better than only red. The ones under only red depended on species, S. hystrix for example had 100% survival after 55 days, Echinophora had very bad survival. But the ones that where alive had grown, but not as good as those under red/blue.
We havn't had the time to to all the statistics yet. And the experiment is still going. Soon five month. This is our problem, we have a lot of data from different experiments but don't take the time/don't have the time to write it together :D
Anyway, this is probably not the best test for a regular reef tank. But I think there is something in the blue/red ratio that matters.

And if the water and flow is great I think the corals can handle red better. Same old.. :)

I don't know if @Lasse has any news from his home tank and those red spots he put up?

/ David
I wrote this at work after a lot of coffee :) So it was a really quick explanation of that experiment. I hope we will have time to write a short aquarium article about it soon. We did it most for fun but it's still done in a proper way(so I think the results would be okey to use).
One thing I wanted to see was if a coral could survive and grow under just red light(660nm). I had a look today and it looks like the Seriatopora caliendrium and hystrix are still alive after 5 month. The have lost most of their colour though.
I don't want to touch anything right now, I want to do weight measurements before we end the experiment and we haven't had time to do that yet. The corals are places in a frag tank but with walls to cover up, so there's no light coming in from the room. And there's no window in the tank. So it's hard to check their status without messing with the experiment.

/ David

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my red in my Pacific Sun metis hyperion at full capacity - but i only run the whole fixture at 70% intensity. My fixture has no phosphorus coated LED - hence no other red sources than the red and orange LED.

I also add around 50 W of far red (745 nm) to my set up - have not seen any important changes of corals.

When I have run fixtures with a combination of phosphorus coated white LED and red (630 and 660) - my impression has been that´s is not very good to run the "white" at 100 %. With one fixture - I was down to less than 40 % intensity of the "white" LED.

I run a briarum GSP in a combination with blue and red - it works well - however in only red - it does not work

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my red in my Pacific Sun metis hyperion at full capacity - but i only run the whole fixture at 70% intensity. My fixture has no phosphorus coated LED - hence no other red sources than the red and orange LED.

I also add around 50 W of far red (745 nm) to my set up - have not seen any important changes of corals.

When I have run fixtures with a combination of phosphorus coated white LED and red (630 and 660) - my impression has been that´s is not very good to run the "white" at 100 %. With one fixture - I was down to less than 40 % intensity of the "white" LED.

I run a briarum GSP in a combination with blue and red - it works well - however in only red - it does not work

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you Lasse, I have been running heavy whites and heavy reds. Sounds like it isn't a good thing!

Hope you gentlemen don't mind my hijacking the thread with this!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Lasse, I have been running heavy whites and heavy reds. Sounds like it isn't a good thing!

IMO - the white LED is more to blame :) The reason why I´m not like the phosphorus coated white LED is the fact that they produce a lot of radiation between 500 and 600 nm. In this wavelength range, your eyes are most susceptible to light - therefore too much light in this area dazzle the weak light sources from the coral fluorescence. Instead I love to trick my eyes with a combination of white light done with help of RGB (sometimes RGBA) (Red,Green,Blue and Amber) and all of the blue wavelengths. In spite of the fact that you see a white shimmer (instead of dull blue) you can see a lot of the fluorescence.

Make a test - put up your red, green and blue - take down your white LEDs. You will notice a great differences in coral colours. And still have a white light and beautiful colours on your fish.

Keep on hijacking in important issues :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No worries! I see this thread more as a place for me and everybody else to write anything relevant about aquariums :)
And we've done a lot of tests with different wavelengths, but so far mostly oxygen production. It's harder to test for morphology for different spectrum I think. But as Dana and Lasse has written, that kind of work has been done with plants, so I sure it could be done with corals.

I saw your Montipora colonies in the other thread. About their way of growing, I think it might differ some depending on species. We have a lot of different Montiporas and they all seems to grow in different ways, even in the same conditions. So in that case it should be tested one species under different spectrums to see any morphological differences due to light IMO.

About your settings, is it possible to increase blue wavelengths? That might be worth a try, and keeping the Red as it is. White should probably be decreased in that case.

Edit. I was too slow, Lasse beat me to it :)

/ David

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! I see this thread more as a place for me and everybody else to write anything relevant about aquariums :)
And we've done a lot of tests with different wavelengths, but so far mostly oxygen production. It's harder to test for morphology for different spectrum I think. But as Dana and Lasse has written, that kind of work has been done with plants, so I sure it could be done with corals.

I saw your Montipora colonies in the other thread. About their way of growing, I think it might differ some depending on species. We have a lot of different Montiporas and they all seems to grow in different ways, even in the same conditions. So in that case it should be tested one species under different spectrums to see any morphological differences due to light IMO.

About your settings, is it possible to increase blue wavelengths? That might be worth a try, and keeping the Red as it is. White should probably be decreased in that case.

Edit. I was too slow, Lasse beat me to it :)

/ David
My blues are as high as they will go, although I can drive them higher if I reduce my white channels. The Mitras LX7206's are very adjustable.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blues are as high as they will go, although I can drive them higher if I reduce my white channels. The Mitras LX7206's are very adjustable.
I would lower the white and raise the blue than. But I like to take chances and have a lot of corals to test on :) So I can't promise anything. Perhaps Dana has better advices about the blue light making the coral more resistant to red. We should take this in the Red light thread instead, easier to find later on :)

/ David

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finishing work yesterday, went to some lfs. No dendronephthya or Scleronephthya. In 1985
There was a LFS in city called Fountain Valley, Ca. They separated fresh and marine. Very large store. But the difference of this store was, when you viewed the tanks you thought you were in a museum. Never seen that again in any other stores. Just tanks in the walls. Different.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finishing work yesterday, went to some lfs. No dendronephthya or Scleronephthya. In 1985
There was a LFS in city called Fountain Valley, Ca. They separated fresh and marine. Very large store. But the difference of this store was, when you viewed the tanks you thought you were in a museum. Never seen that again in any other stores. Just tanks in the walls. Different.

I'm jealous. I need to go check out some LFS's or other aquariums soon :)

Now there's a lot of writing in this thread. I think it's time for a coral. This is one of the coolest ones we have. A Pachyseris sp I think. :cool:
IMG_5478.JPG

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now there's a lot of writing in this thread. I think it's time for a coral. This is one of the coolest ones we have. A Pachyseris sp I think. :cool:
IMG_5478.JPG

Beautiful specimen!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to an earlier post, I run an 8 tube T5 pacific sun hybrid, one 75 watt led supplement, it runs red during the 12 hour led cycle, too lazy to try extra red like @Lasse ?! ;)

How do you like the PS? I love the light from my but - the software is not very good.

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5478.JPG
What the h@$$ is that. I've never seen anything like it. WOW

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the PS? I love the light from my but - the software is not very good.

Sincerely Lasse
Your the man, Lasse. You remind me of a long lost uncle I haven't seen for years. LOL. And
Sallstrom my long lost brother. Viva Sweden.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mobile aquarium display? Yes? No?
Yes! This is the new version of our mobile cold water touch tank! :D
We will be at a place called Askimsbadet, a beach outside Gothenburg, a day today. At least 6 school classes has booked a lecture and will stop by our tank and listen to us talk about common animals that can be found in Swedish waters.
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5588.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back