Not finished yet with the scaping .. :rolleyes:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! This is the new version of our mobile cold water touch tank! :D
We will be at a place called Askimsbadet, a beach outside Gothenburg, a day today. At least 6 school classes has booked a lecture and will stop by our tank and listen to us talk about common animals that can be found in Swedish waters.
IMG_5589.JPG
IMG_5591.JPG
IMG_5588.JPG

Very cool. I see a chiller.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those that´s not know it - there is stony corals and living coral reefs in Swedish cold water.There is around 55 species of stony corals but only one that form reefs - Lophelia Pertusa. This specie is non photosynthetic, lives at 50 m depth in north part of Bohuslän, a region at the west coast. and they are protected!

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! This is the new version of our mobile cold water touch tank! :D
We will be at a place called Askimsbadet, a beach outside Gothenburg, a day today. At least 6 school classes has booked a lecture and will stop by our tank and listen to us talk about common animals that can be found in Swedish waters.
This is fantastic! I loved stuff like this when I was a kid!

To those that´s not know it - there is stony corals and living coral reefs in Swedish cold water.
First I find out that Sweden has a bikini team, now I learn they have SPS corals! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm going to start confusing Sweden with Australia! :p

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the temperature just now 25 degree and Sunny :)

Sincerely Lasse
That is my kind of weather! We are supposed to hit 34 degrees here today. ;Blackeye

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those that´s not know it - there is stony corals and living coral reefs in Swedish cold water.There is around 55 species of stony corals but only one that form reefs - Lophelia Pertusa. This specie is non photosynthetic, lives at 50 m depth in north part of Bohuslän, a region at the west coast. and they are protected!

Sincerely Lasse
Keep talking Lasse, keep talking. Another reason to visit Sweden . LOL. Disneyland has nothing on Sweden now. Very cool.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my kind of weather! We are supposed to hit 34 degrees here today. ;Blackeye
And the temperature just now 25 degree and Sunny :)

Sincerely Lasse
It's was 1987-1990, don't remember the year exactly, but newspaper first time mentioned we had some tropical fish visiting Southern California waters. Very odd we all thought at the time.
Sign of things to come .

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m at the same latitude as Tenake Springs - Alaska and you in north part of M0rrocoo :) Thanks to the Golf Stream :)
About the coral - from Wikipedia

Lophelia reefs can grow to 35 m (115 ft) high. The largest recorded Lophelia reef, Røst Reef, measures 3 km × 35 km (1.9 mi × 21.7 mi) and lies at a depth of 300–400 m (980–1,310 ft) off the Lofoten Islands, Norway.[6] When this is seen in terms of a growth rate of around 1 mm per year, the great age of these reefs becomes apparent.
The Golf Stream is strong up there too

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a day! Everything went well. But the visibility wasn't the best in the tank... After two years in 11 degree water the urchin and starfish went mass spawning when the water got up to 14 degrees ;Bored
This is what the skimmer looked like :D
IMG_5598.JPG

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a day! Everything went well. But the visibility wasn't the best in the tank... After two years in 11 degree water the urchin and starfish went mass spawning when the water got up to 14 degrees ;Bored
This is what the skimmer looked like :D
IMG_5598.JPG
Wish something like that happened when I had dendronephthya, to feed them. Might of helped. LOL

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish something like that happened when I had dendronephthya, to feed them. Might of helped. LOL
Hmm, that wouldn't be so hard to do. Just take up the urchin in a bucket and pour in some warmer or cooler water. Then collect the water+gametes and dose with a dosing pump! :D Maybe that would be the "miracle food" for Dendronephty. At least something to try out :)

Breeding some kind of sea urchin is actually on my to do list. Have seen some articles about it and I doesn't look that hard if you have the space and small tank etc. Check out Martin Moe on YouTube, great work with Diadema breeding.

/ David

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, that wouldn't be so hard to do. Just take up the urchin in a bucket and pour in some warmer or cooler water. Then collect the water+gametes and dose with a dosing pump! :D Maybe that would be the "miracle food" for Dendronephty. At least something to try out :)

Breeding some kind of sea urchin is actually on my to do list. Have seen some articles about it and I doesn't look that hard if you have the space and small tank etc. Check out Martin Moe on YouTube, great work with Diadema breeding.

/ David
That's why I keep oysters too. But no sperm I've seen, yet. Anyway that's a million dollar idea, I think. But should help. Dendros do obsorb nutrients too. Any way it's 10am here my chili coral still open, longest it's stayed open(8 hrs normal). I'm rotating it intermittently. Now waiting for my children of the sea (aka dendronephthya ). Soon very soon. Have a good day, my brother from a different mother. LOL

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will feed dendronephthya same.

I just made a batch yesterday, I add everything into 3000ml beaker. Shelf diet,has 6 different algaes apprx 20ml,Nannochloropsis 20ml,fish chum 20ml, paracoccus bacteria 10ml,dry rotifers 10ml,reef roids 10ml, sprint 10ml,smallest eggs brine shrimp 10ml,just got phyto-feast 10ml, top off with Nannochloropsis live culture h2o. Instead of DT h2o.

4am checked corals on carousel 99-100% and happy.

Also I add thru day when I remember 4ml dry utra clam food and mixture paracoccus bacteria 5ml,reef roids 5ml,sprint 5ml, also 4 ml, scoop to dt. Sometimes fill this in smallest jar with dt h2o, feed thru day, when I remember.

I put 3000ml beaker on stirrer dose 3ml-5ml apprx, once each hour

Forgot every 4 days 5ml ea. Strontium & iodine in refugium

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know potassium chloride makes urchins spawn?

I've only tried the method of changing the water temperature. But I remember reading some about using chemicals to induce spawning. I think they do it with giant clams as well. But I'm not updated on their methods, so you better ask Google instead of me in this case :)

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some old pictures and compared with new ones. Doesn't look like the same tank :)
First picture is from September 2014 and the second one is from April 2018.

11168397_10152726582762352_599997780396425892_o.jpg
IMG_5314.JPG

Looks like we bought a ton of corals, but most of them are from our frag tanks and were pretty small when they were moved into this tank. Nice to see what time does to a reef tank :)

Hope you have a great weekend!

/ David

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back