OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this was my Little Reef Rockpool I think I would aiming for at least 5 nitrates, most people know I don't really test but I do read a lot and sort of understand how stuff works.
The coral will be using the nitrates to an extent as well, not a fan of ln systems but I don't have to run your tanks! ;)

But I did write that it depends on the tank ;)
This big tank is pretty stable and the nutrients change slowly( and I like to test a lot :D). So for this tank aiming for 1-2 ppm is quite safe actually.

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the colour on this! :)

IMG_5632.JPG

I made a rack so some of the Scleronephtya colonies could hang a bit. The largest one is still on the bottom.

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! So why the desire to go with some NPS? Thinking of a new exhibit of just NPS? OR just cause you can/something fun to do?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! So why the desire to go with some NPS? Thinking of a new exhibit of just NPS? OR just cause you can/something fun to do?

Yes, I would like to do a "cave tank" with these kind of corals in the new Aquarium. We have a couple of projects like this, one for example is keeping Swedish kelp. Since we're aiming for live habitats(as much as possible) in the new aquarium, we need to develop our husbandry.
It's also bacause it quite easy because already have the tank and equipment etc. But it's also because it's fun :)

An important thing we've learned over the years is that a new project also depend on your colleagues. You need to write down the rutines and they need to be as short and simple as possible. For example in this experiment with Scleronephtya, we refill two different types of live algae every morning. Thats it. The rest is by auto dosing. So too time cosuming projects we try to avoid. Specially because we're only one person working in the Aquarium during the weekends :)

/ David

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which salt brand did you use for the main tank.
All was in the green for triton so I want to replicate it

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which salt brand did you use for the main tank.
All was in the green for triton so I want to replicate it

We've used Red Sea salt (not PRO) for the last three years I think. Reef crystal before that. I'm happy with both.

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think their doing really good. The one thats white. Wow. Somebody has a green thumb. Nice Sallstrom
Thanks! I think they were in good shape when they arrived :) And I'm really impressed by their colours. Having trouble taking good pictures with my old iPhone, the colours are even better IRL.

So next step is to see if they grow or not over time. We're still on a quite low dosing regime. But we are able to spread out the feeding well so I think there's some phytoplankton in the water 24/7.

Good start! :)

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received 3 dendronephthya, 1st is 80%, 2nd 50%, 3rd 25%. In condition. Horrible specimens. When the best one is aclimated,in 1 month if it lives. Will try to make bud by base.
Okey! So you found some Dendronephtya now?

Yes, I've also been thinking about cutting a couple of branches and make frags. But also want to wait a couple of weeks before I do it to avoid more stress now.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back