10000L Coral reef at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium Sweden

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs cultures their own phyto, I add it randomly, my guess also is that a lot gets skimmed out, I add it it to the fuge so it has to go through the fuge, return chamber, 2 displays and the drains before it hits the skimmer! ;)
Also there's creatures in our tanks that consume the phytoplankton. I have to continuously add with or without corals that like it.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food for thought, human urine great for phytoplankton as long as urine is 24hrs or less fresh to handle. After 24hrs amonia kicks in.
That's what @Lasse always says(and has done with his cultures :D )

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have skipped my skimmer cup - the skimate goes directly back to the aquaria - dosing cyanobacteria of the strain David have mentioned. See if David find any at the university - they have to do an analys on my water too.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes skimming as much as possible - if you mean aeration in the skimmer but I have a tap in my skimmer cup. Open that up - the skimate goes back to the return pump and back to the aquaria ! I only use the skimmer as a gas exchanger!

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes skimming as much as possible - if you mean aeration in the skimmer but I have a tap in my skimmer cup. Open that up - the skimate goes back to the return pump and back to the aquaria ! I only use the skimmer as a gas exchanger!

Sincerely Lasse
I run no skimmer, I have air pumps outside to aerate refugium. I have very heavy DOM. I recently started some water changes. See what happens

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish we had that here, we need to buy a product called phyto-feast. It has aglae and that cynobacteria. You guys have it all there
Actually what I think is the best product we've tested for both cold water and tropical filter feeders is EasyBooster. It comes in a bag/box, and works like a bag-in-box(for wine). And they have an adapter so you can connect it to a dosing pump. No need to keep it in a refrigerator. The algae are concentrated phytoplankton (for species).

Check if you can find EasyBooster. Comes from Spain I think. Easyreef is the company.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually what I think is the best product we've tested for both cold water and tropical filter feeders are EasyBooster. It comes in a bag/box, and works like a bag-in-box(for wine). And they have an adapter so you can connect it to a dosing pump. No need to keep it in a refrigerator. The algae are concentrated phytoplankton (for species).

Check if you can find EasyBooster. Comes from Spain I think. Easyreef is the company.
I researched it, I'm going to try when my stash is gone/finish. Thx

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's growing, like gang busters

I'll try better pictures soon

20180618_143258.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back