10000L Coral reef at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium Sweden

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okey! So you found some Dendronephtya now?

Yes, I've also been thinking about cutting a couple of branches and make frags. But also want to wait a couple of weeks before I do it to avoid more stress now.
The white one, looks white to me. Don't get stingy, make sure you share on the cuttings. Don't forget your friends.LOL

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thougts on the use of medicine or chemicals in a display tank with a live corals etc.

Everyday I see more and more threads about tank problems and suggestions how to solve them fast. Many of these fast solutions involve medicines or chemicals. It could be to get rid of green hair algae, Cyanobacteria, Dinoflagellates, Acropora eating flatworms etc.
We have had all of them and I’m not saying I have the best solution how to get rid of them. But even if they are a pain, I would still not treat a whole tank with a product just to get rid of one thing.

A reef tank is a small ecosystem and our goal is to make it work as well as possible. We need the bacteria for take care of waste from the animals etc, we need algae for nutrients export and food for not only fish but small crustaceans and molluscs etc and polychaetes that takes care of a lot of the food that ends up uneaten on the bottom and so on. That’s a very simplyfied image of some of the organism in our tanks.

This is the ecosystem in which we put in a medicine. Do we know it only affects the organism we want to estinguish? Or does it also affect a lot of the organisms we want in our tanks for them to work?
I don’t have the answer to that, but I would not take the risk. IMO it’s crazy to see people with amazing(and expensive) corals and tanks that take that chance. Do we know the long term effects?
So one of my points are that a medicine might kill some of the beneficial organisms in a tank, which then affects the stabiliy in the tank. And even if you get rid of one problem you might just get another one due to the big change in the biology in the tank.

Another things are the competitions for space. Many of these unwanted algae or cyano take up a part of the ecosystem(and surface area on the substrate). If they are removed in a day the space they took up will be free for other organisms to settle on. Maybe that will be Dinoflagellats, Diatoms or other opportunists? Thats another reason I prefer long term solutions with less radical changes in the ecosystem.

I just needed to write some about that. Now it feels a bit better :)

Hope you have a great weekend. And don’t forget to watch the World Cup today, both Brazil and Germany enters the tournament!

/ David

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the five Scleronephtya in our experiment/frag tank. Looks like they expand more and more :)
Won't change any dosing, gonna let them get used to current feeding.
IMG_5666.JPG

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures from today after cleaning the window. I like those reflections:)
IMG_5688.JPG
IMG_5687.JPG

And a short video for documentation of the NPS corals, the Scleronephtya in one of the frag tanks behind the scenes. As it shows in the background there's also a lot of SPS frags in the same tank. They also like the extra phytoplankton feeding :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I should know the answer to this question, but I can't seem to find an answer. Hoping maybe you can help.

Why won't phytoplankton reproduce readily in our aquariums? Or does it, and it gets filtered out as fast as it grows?

I understand it is carbon limited in the ocean, but I'm not sure that also applies in our reef tanks.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I should know the answer to this question, but I can't seem to find an answer. Hoping maybe you can help.

Why won't phytoplankton reproduce readily in our aquariums? Or does it, and it gets filtered out as fast as it grows?

I understand it is carbon limited in the ocean, but I'm not sure that also applies in our reef tanks.

My guess is that most of the plankton in our tanks ends up in the skimmer cup.
But I haven't had the chance to test how much plankton we actually have in our tanks. That's on my to do list. Just have to find the right researcher at the University with the right machines :)
I've seen a nice article in one of the online reef aquarium magazines with these kinds of tests. I'll try to find that one.

I'm not sure aquariums offers the right criterias for phytoplankton to grow and reproduce. Maybe they need larger mass of water?

/ David

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that most of the plankton in our tanks ends up in the skimmer cup.
This is my best guess as well but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure aquariums offers the right criterias for phytoplankton to grow and reproduce. Maybe they need larger mass of water?
Most set ups I have seen for growing phyto are small and use lower quality lights than our reef tanks.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my best guess as well but I'm not sure.

Most set ups I have seen for growing phyto are small and use lower quality lights than our reef tanks.
But in those algae cultures there are often quite heavy bubbling (probably not the correct English :) ). So I think they need a flow that keeps them suspended in the water. In the ocean it might be a thermocline that keep them in the light zone long enough to start growing in the spring for example.
Not sure the flow or the substrate in a reef tank is the best for phytoplankton.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the five Scleronephtya in our experiment/frag tank. Looks like they expand more and more :)
Won't change any dosing, gonna let them get used to current feeding.
IMG_5666.JPG

Boy who ever mentioned to install Scleronephthya on their side, sure deserves a frag or two, one day, when they thrive. He must be smart. Who ever recommend that. Just saying

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back