2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the video

Two from the 25 000 litre aquarium

And from the 10 000 litre system

I´m sorry but the videos is rather dark because the illumination is been taken down a bit. This because of the heatwave in Sweden for the moment

Sincerely Lasse

Nice @Lasse !! Great with some proper photos and videos of the tanks. Thanks!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My is the 3000L. How much do you feed that tank a day?
We feed about a table spoon of frozen mysis and one with frozen artemia in the morning and another round in the afternoon.
There's not that much fish in there . Some fish has been in the tank for over ten years, so they harass every new fish we try to put in. They mostly end up in the sump and has to be taken out to recover behind the scenes.
The display tank is about 1500 litres with a 1500 litre sump/refugium/cryptic zone. We had to connect the large sump to get some stability and to get room for calcium reactor and other stuff. The previous sump is on the short side of the tank, still there(build inside the tank), is really small and only have room for a skimmer and some returpumps.

This is my special tank. It's been my challenge for ten years :) Most of the stony corals in our other tanks comes from this tank.

As you can see, I need to cut down a lot of corals. Keeps growing up to the surface taking all the light from the bottom half of the tank :D

Oh, and the butterflyfish was to test to see if it ate brown clove polyps. It didn't. It preferred Galaxea and Stylopora. That's why they look kind of sad. Will remove it(but don't know how yet.. :D).

Edit. We dose some EasyBooster as well. Don't remember the dose, it's on a dosing pump. The nutrients are pretty low in this tank so I like to put some extra coral food in.

tangyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If price is important for re-circ pumps you should try the aquamedic eco-drifts. They are a good price, give powerful output and are long lasting. I had mine for nearly 3 years and they still come up like new after cleaning. I changed 2 of them for 4x MP40s which still can’t provide as good circulation as the eco drifts. The only reason I changed is I don’t like to see wires or pumps. The eco-drifts are large and no where to hide them.

Boops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the video

Two from the 25 000 litre aquarium

And from the 10 000 litre system

I´m sorry but the videos is rather dark because the illumination is been taken down a bit. This because of the heatwave in Sweden for the moment

Sincerely Lasse

Especially the 25000 litre tank looks so authentic. I remember that from my visit in April. Isn't that your frag tank?

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We feed about a table spoon of frozen mysis and one with frozen artemia in the morning and another round in the afternoon.
There's not that much fish in there . Some fish has been in the tank for over ten years, so they harass every new fish we try to put in. They mostly end up in the sump and has to be taken out to recover behind the scenes.
The display tank is about 1500 litres with a 1500 litre sump/refugium/cryptic zone. We had to connect the large sump to get some stability and to get room for calcium reactor and other stuff. The previous sump is on the short side of the tank, still there(build inside the tank), is really small and only have room for a skimmer and some returpumps.

This is my special tank. It's been my challenge for ten years :) Most of the stony corals in our other tanks comes from this tank.

As you can see, I need to cut down a lot of corals. Keeps growing up to the surface taking all the light from the bottom half of the tank :D

Oh, and the butterflyfish was to test to see if it ate brown clove polyps. It didn't. It preferred Galaxea and Stylopora. That's why they look kind of sad. Will remove it(but don't know how yet.. :D).

Edit. We dose some EasyBooster as well. Don't remember the dose, it's on a dosing pump. The nutrients are pretty low in this tank so I like to put some extra coral food in.
I'm surprised so much life survives on so little food. Are all the coral here photosynthetic?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised so much life survives on so little food. Are all the coral here photosynthetic?

A great example that most of us overfeed. I had a reef in the 90s I fed once a week and everything thrived (under Metal Halide).

EDIT: fish, anemones, basic corals, sponges, and inverts.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially the 25000 litre tank looks so authentic. I remember that from my visit in April. Isn't that your frag tank?
Thanks!
Yes, you could call it a frag tank. For large frags:)
Earlier this tank was a cold water aquarium with fish like cods and large flounders, but 2,5 years ago our heat exchanger broke(we were kind of prepared, it was from the 80's). Since we are rebuilding the whole Aquarium soon we didn't want to spent half our yearly budget on a new machine only for two years use, so we decided to restart this tank as a tropical coral tank instead.
So we're using it as a place to put corals that has outgrown our propagation tanks and other displays. Took some time to get the corals to start growing, but now they seems to do fine.
There's a couple of posts in this thread about this tank and how we constructed the stand under the rocks if you like to get more info. Not sure on what page, this thread is getting long :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think so. I put in a small Chili coral in a cave in the 3000 litre tank about five years ago. But now the cave has been overgrown by other corals, so I can't see if the chili coral is still alive.
There's lots of sponges in this tank as well. And a large refugium that's above the display tank, so the display probably gets some small crustaceans now and then.
So I think there's a lot of nutrient flux inside the tank.
Oh, and we haven't cleaned the refugium since we started it in 2014. So there's probably some nutrients leaking from the sediment there. :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great example that most of us overfeed. I had a reef in the 90s I fed once a week and everything thrived (under Metal Halide).

EDIT: fish, anemones, basic corals, sponges, and inverts.

Sometimes yes. Depends a lot on the tank and how it's designed and the size and density of animals.

For our two larger tanks, I think the tangs for example would do okey only by grazing algae. When we started those tanks and had lots of diatom algae we didn't need to feed at all. But now we have clowns, wrasses, and other fish, so we feed artemia and mysis regularly. But I'm not afraid to miss a feeding or two :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will come back and take more pictures and videos when the heat wave in Sweden has calm down and when it is possible to run the tanks with max illumination. And when the glass of the 25 000 litres is clean :)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a large refugium that's above the display tank, so the display probably gets some small crustaceans now and then.
So I think there's a lot of nutrient flux inside the tank.
Oh, and we haven't cleaned the refugium since we started it in 2014. So there's probably some nutrients leaking from the sediment there. :)
Sounds very interesting Sallstrom. Any photos?

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so. I put in a small Chili coral in a cave in the 3000 litre tank about five years ago. But now the cave has been overgrown by other corals, so I can't see if the chili coral is still alive.
Are those other corals non-photosynthetic & in the cave; or corals outside the cave that have grown?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds very interesting Sallstrom. Any photos?

The refugium is an old display tank which still has a window to the exhibition. So that window is covered by a map right now. But after we close 17th of September we can take away that map and look into the refugium:)
It's not very advanced. Just a large tank, some rocks at the bottom, macro algae in baskets hanging at the surface and air bubbles as circulation. It's more than 1 meter deep, so it's hard to see what grow on the rocks.
But it will interesting to see how it looks!

The flow display->refugium is 1500 l/h. Can't speed it up because of the overflow.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those other corals non-photosynthetic & in the cave; or corals outside the cave that have grown?
That's photosynthetic corals that has grown over the entrance to the cave.
My guess is that the chili coral hasn't survived.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your scuba suit on @Sallstrom!
:)
There's a bunch of summer staff/substitutes(not sure of the right term) working now, all of them love to dive. So I can drink a cup of coffee and just point out where it needs to be cleaned:)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back