10000L Coral reef at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium Sweden

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a bunch of summer staff/substitutes(not sure of the right term) working now, all of them love to dive. So I can drink a cup of coffee and just point out where it needs to be cleaned:)
Sounds like the right term is "welcomed assistance"!

I wish I would have had a chance to volunteer at a facility like yours in my youth. Likely would have gotten me into scuba diving earlier.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the right term is "welcomed assistance"!

I wish I would have had a chance to volunteer at a facility like yours in my youth. Likely would have gotten me into scuba diving earlier.

Absolutely! :)

I wish we could use volunteers, but that's not allowed in Sweden. They are all marine biologist covering for me and colleagues when we have vacation. They are well educated and more up to date with biology than me. So I try to get them to do coral DNA tests and count cells in aquariums and cultures. All the stuff I didn't learn or have forgotten :D

Yes, if volunteers were used in Sweden I also would have been one when I was young. Always dragged my parents to aquariums and fish stores :)

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refugium is an old display tank which still has a window to the exhibition. So that window is covered by a map right now. But after we close 17th of September we can take away that map and look into the refugium:)
It's not very advanced. Just a large tank, some rocks at the bottom, macro algae in baskets hanging at the surface and air bubbles as circulation. It's more than 1 meter deep, so it's hard to see what grow on the rocks.
But it will interesting to see how it looks!

The flow display->refugium is 1500 l/h. Can't speed it up because of the overflow.
I look forward to what's under that map. Please post pics.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update on the Scleronephthya experiment/frag tank fed with phytoplankton.
The Scleronephthyas look fine still. Not growing fast, not shrinking fast. There are out filtering parts of the day, don't know what they do during the night(we still not working night shifts :)).
I found some small polyps today, and with the help from @Jomama I found three small colonies. Not sure they are Scleronephthya but they sit just under a large colony so it might be. Here's a great iPhone picture.. ;)
IMG_5966.JPG

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Scleronephthyas look fine still. Not growing fast, not shrinking fast. There are out filtering parts of the day, don't know what they do during the night(we still not working night shifts :)).
I found some small polyps today, and with the help from @Jomama I found three small colonies. Not sure they are Scleronephthya but they sit just under a large colony so it might be. Here's a great iPhone picture.. ;)
IMG_5966.JPG
You working on Saturday, sounds like overtime to me.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5966.JPG
Once and awhile or when you remember , I'd blast them gently with a cloud of cynobacteria. Or mailed them to me. Their pretty small for an envelope. I'll find them a good home.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds very interesting Sallstrom. Any photos?
Here's a couple of photos from the top of the "refugium" connected to the 1500 litre (or 3000L as Lasse wrote :)) reef tank. #nofilter ;)
IMG_5980.JPG
IMG_5981.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that doser dosing anything magical into the fuge? :cool:

That's a "magic machine"! It's a KH director from GHL. But it's not that perfect yet, we can't even get a graph because we don't have the newest Profilux computers :D And we still meassure manually at least 3-4 times a week(no I don't trust any first editions of new aquarium toys :)). So we just test it because we run Profilux computers on our tanks(all other things from them works fine, specially when we have @Lasse who's probably much better than their own support staff).

But we dose some iron and manganese manually every day.

tangyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how the KH director works out for you.
I always thought the KH director didn’t need a computer because the standalone Doser does it all. You can just connect to the web interface by wifi. I could be wrong though because i don’t have one.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the KH director didn’t need a computer because the standalone Doser does it all. You can just connect to the web interface by wifi. I could be wrong though because i don’t have one.

IMO the KH director is still just some extra help. We let it run two tests a day and it can be stable a week or two, but every now and then there's an outlier, a measurment thats far from the "right" value. Sometimes it goes back to normal again or we have to adjust someting(airbubble in a hose etc). Since I wanted to see how well it worked we've also meassured manually a lot to see if the KH director is on the right track. So my conclusion after a couple of months is that I don't trust it yet, and that you need to calibrate and control the mashine a lot to make sure it works properly(one dosing pump broke last week for example). I would not let this machine adjust any dosing pumps to say Core7 or a calcium reactor. Maybe with a lot of programming and alarms so the Profilux alarm would go if the dosings changed too much etc, but that would mean even more work. So since we are a public aquarium and have staff in every day, the manual test is still easier and more reliable.

But I'm also aware that this is a new mashine and that it probably will be better in the future, if they do a "generation 2" machine. Locking forward to see what happens in the future! :)

We bought a unit that needs a Profilux computer. I think there's a stand alone unit as well. And about the connection to WiFi etc I will let @Lasse answer those questions, he's our GHL guru and I will probably just give you the wrong answer ;)

tangyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I think I will give the auto-dosing a miss for now but in the future when the prices come down a little I will look at measuring only to keep an eye on the KH. I hope @Lasse won’t mind in the future if I need to pick his brains about GHL stuff in future. I really can feel the passion you guys have about the marine life you keep. I really wish all the public aquariums were run with the same vigour. If I am ever your way I would definitely like to pop in and see your new aquarium once it’s up and running.
The salt creep you get is is astonishing, I can see it creeping towards the new GHL...I think I should look after it for you in case it gets damaged :p.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I think I will give the auto-dosing a miss for now but in the future when the prices come down a little I will look at measuring only to keep an eye on the KH. I hope @Lasse won’t mind in the future if I need to pick his brains about GHL stuff in future. I really can feel the passion you guys have about the marine life you keep. I really wish all the public aquariums were run with the same vigour. If I am ever your way I would definitely like to pop in and see your new aquarium once it’s up and running.
The salt creep you get is is astonishing, I can see it creeping towards the new GHL...I think I should look after it for you in case it gets damaged :p.
Thanks you so much! And you are welcome to visit anytime for a coffee behind the scenes. :)

Don't worry. I put that acrylic sheet/wall between the KH director and the water. So it's safe ;)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your not wrong - Doser 2.1 standalone have its own WiFI. The problem with the graphs is not about the P 3.1T but about that we of some or another reason can´t connect with myGHL. We are behind the firewalls of the town of Gothenburg and of some reasons the MyGHL can´t communicate through them. When we have solved that problem - the graph will work (probably).

Is no salt creep below the KH director - it is styrofoam in order to get the KH director up a bit
:)
. But you are right - it is a tough environment. But to this day - the ProfiLux system have been working well in this environment and I have one system working at place which is worse than this :)

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behind the scenes :rolleyes:...That would be awesome, for me that is so much more interesting.
Agreed! So much to be learned that way!

My wife and I are planning to visit in 2022 (which seems too far away :(). We talked about trying to make it for the grand opening in 2021 but figured that wasn't a good idea. Our son turns 21 that year and we are going to take him and a guest on a Caribbean cruise. This also gives us an extra year just in case the opening is delayed. She has always wanted to go to Sweden since that is where her great grandparents were from. This gives me a reason to want to go!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! So much to be learned that way!

My wife and I are planning to visit in 2022 (which seems too far away :(). We talked about trying to make it for the grand opening in 2021 but figured that wasn't a good idea. Our son turns 21 that year and we are going to take him and a guest on a Caribbean cruise. This also gives us an extra year just in case the opening is delayed. She has always wanted to go to Sweden since that is where her great grandparents were from. This gives me a reason to want to go!
It also gives the new aquariums one more years to develop! :) It would be really cool if you came!
I will probably not be happy with the new tanks until 2025.. But at that time our goal is to exhibit the best large reef tank in the world ;Nailbiting

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back