10000L Coral reef at The Maritime Museum & Aquarium Sweden

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sallstrom, with all the planning going on, are you covered in case you lose h2o from new/old system , like a safety sensor, sense water
loss by sensing water level going down from new main tank, when up and running. Or maybe piping is designed, if there's power interruptions to loose alittle water, but not all water? Curious

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I so need to take my camera to the whole aquarium before it pauses! ;)
Absolutely! I tell @Lasse at the time to bring his camera since I only managed to learn my old iPhone camera, but he hasn't brought it yet. We need more photo documentation before we starts to cut the corals in pieces!
Actually I've been wanting to do a coral tank symposium/meeting, talks held in English and so on. To get more people meet and discuss reef tank. We've had about ten meetings so far but most talks have been in Swedish. I'm a bit jealous of MACNA and those kind of meetings. I miss those things in Europe. So maybe we'll have to start it up :)

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sallstrom, really cool build. I’m curious how you handle fish disease and qt? Are the fish strictly qt’d? I don’t know how you would let a tank of that size sit fallow if a disease broke out.
Also do you run uv?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sallstrom, with all the planning going on, are you covered in case you lose h2o from new/old system , like a safety sensor, sense water
loss by sensing water level going down from new main tank, when up and running. Or maybe piping is designed, if there's power interruptions to loose alittle water, but not all water? Curious
The new systems are not yet decided, but will be in September I think. We have a lot of ideas, now we try to get the professionals/engineers/architects to understand what we mean :)
We have had help to estimate how much water the sumps will need to swallow in case of a power cut. And water speed through sumps and pipes and all that. But since we want to have many tanks connected to one large sump(four large systems/temps) we need to figure out a way to control if water is leaking somewhere in the system. Could be done with level sensors and salinity probes, but not sure how it will end up yet.

Now we have level sensors with alarm in some tanks, other tanks the salinity or temp probe acts as a low level alarm(salinity goes down a lot when the probe is in the air for example). Not bullet proof:D
Me and another colleague gets a text message if the alarm goes off.
Now we loose about 500 litres if the power goes out. Not perfect at all.. But we always have pretty much RO water and mixed saltwater ready.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sallstrom, really cool build. I’m curious how you handle fish disease and qt? Are the fish strictly qt’d? I don’t know how you would let a tank of that size sit fallow if a disease broke out.
Also do you run uv?

Thanks!
Last years we have not kept any new fish in quarantine(except seahorses), sometimes we've had them a while in one of the coral frag tanks before we moved them to the displays.
Mostly they've gone directly from the wholesalers to us and into a display tank. For the two large tanks we have now, 10 and 26 m3 that has worked very well. Lots of water, lots of space, not much stress. Less stress, less diseases. And lots of water per fish.
It's harder to add new fish to our 1500 and 2500 litre reefs, where the old fish has their territory from ten years back..

Right now we don't have any UV running(except for water to phytoplankton cultures). We sometimes use ozone, but low doses.

The possibility to do quarantine "the American way" is not possible in Sweden. Our veterinary doesn't want to, and I agree most of the times, threat anything without knowing that the fish has say worms etc. Then he can prescribe drugs for that parasite.
And Broad spectrum medicines are not allowed here either I think.
But sure we could keep fish in quarantine without medications. We have tried, but the survival has been poor compared to when we've put them in a large tank directly.
IMO most fish carry diseases but can handle them if they are not stressed to much and get proper food.

We will have better facilities for quarantine in the new Aquarium. So we will work out some kind of quarantine protocol together with our vet. But are still in the planning stage for that. Same as for UVs. We will probably not use UVs in the 400000 litre tank for example, but in smaller tanks were the density of fish is higher.

I know we don't always do it "the proper " way, but we do have good survival rate and are working hard to improve all things connected to animal health, like acclimating protocols etc. So we are not skipping quarantine because we're lazy :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Last years we have not kept any new fish in quarantine(except seahorses), sometimes we've had them a while in one of the coral frag tanks before we moved them to the displays.
Mostly they've gone directly from the wholesalers to us and into a display tank. For the two large tanks we have now, 10 and 26 m3 that has worked very well. Lots of water, lots of space, not much stress. Less stress, less diseases. And lots of water per fish.
It's harder to add new fish to our 1500 and 2500 litre reefs, where the old fish has their territory from ten years back..

Right now we don't have any UV running(except for water to phytoplankton cultures). We sometimes use ozone, but low doses.

The possibility to do quarantine "the American way" is not possible in Sweden. Our veterinary doesn't want to, and I agree most of the times, threat anything without knowing that the fish has say worms etc. Then he can prescribe drugs for that parasite.
But sure we could keep fish in quarantine without medications. We have tried, but the survival has been poor compared to when we've put them in a large tank directly.
IMO most fish carry diseases but can handle them if they are not stressed to much and get proper food.

We will have better facilities for quarantine in the new Aquarium. So we will work out some kind of quarantine protocol together with our vet. But are still in the planning stage for that. Same as for UVs. We will probably not use UVs in the 400000 litre tank for example, but in smaller tanks were the density of fish is higher.

I know we don't always do it "the proper " way, but we do have good survival rate and are working hard to improve all things connected to animal health, like acclimating protocols etc. So we are not skipping quarantine because we're lazy :)
I am one of those guys that copper bombs every fish that goes in my tank. It works very well for me.

I saw recently that the Seattle Aquarium has stopped with preventative treatments and so far seems to be having great success. I really feel the more natural aspects of the tanks that some people keep makes preventative treatment unnecessary. I guess that is one of the reasons why I don't see one as right and the other as wrong. I'm getting to the point of being able to look at a persons tank and tell if they need to treat proactively or not.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

That’s really interesting. I can understand fully quarantining and treating a small tank of fish, but not a tank that big. If you follow, the “proper” protocol, if one speck of ich gets in, your tank is toast and all fish need to be removed. I wouldn’t think that would be feasible with public aquarium tanks.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another FTS :)
IMG_5935.JPG

This is with the three 1000W metal halides turn off because of the heat this week. We let them run for about 3 hour a day this week.
For everyone that doesn't know, Sweden has a unusually hot summer this year, fun if you are on vacation, not so fun if you work :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another FTS :)
IMG_5935.JPG

This is with the three 1000W metal halides turn off because of the heat this week. We let them run for about 3 hour a day this week.
For everyone that doesn't know, Sweden has a unusually hot summer this year, fun if you are on vacation, not so fun if you work :)
Seeing as you get to play with reef tanks all day, is this work or a vacation for you? o_O :D

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as you get to play with reef tanks all day, is this work or a vacation for you? o_O :D
Haha, it's work. But really fun work :) But it's a bit dangerous to work with your hobby.. Specially when there's fun forums to hang out on when I'm not working :D

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a tank at home as well?
No, not anymore. I had a small reef tank before but it became neglected when I started working with aquariums. So I took the corals I had to the Aquarium and sold the tank. The first coral I got, in 2001 I think, is still alive and is now living in our shark tank :) It's a Hydnopora sp.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, it's work. But really fun work :) But it's a bit dangerous to work with your hobby.. Specially when there's fun forums to hang out on when I'm not working :D
You should hang out on here while at work and call it research and outreach! ;)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should hang out on here while at work and call it research and outreach! ;)
I do, but don't tell anyone;)
Jokes aside, we do a lot of research on forums about husbandry and new animals we plan on getting. So being on forums and even Facebook is fine even if we're at work :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this at work, though it was kinda fun(even if the forgot the Aquarium) Probably from the 70's or 80's. Just need to find a jacket or bag to put it on :)
Translation- Sjöfartsmuseet = The Maritime museum - Göteborg = Gothenburg
IMG_5962.JPG

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a 850lt mixed reef, the last 3,5 years, and always fed live brine shrimp hatchlings, daily. Never quarantine any fish, but never had any deaths ,disease connected . Last 5 months I couldn't find shrimps cyst's, and neglected to search, since fishes ,at first,were doing ok. But 2,5 months ago, I lost first the butterfly I had for 2,5 years, then some anthias, near 3 years old
, Then my mandarins started to fight after 3 years of peacefully coexistence, and now I even can see my 5 year old occelaris, stop eating! I am sure all the above has got as primary cause, the live food missing from my fish dietary, cause diseases in hybernation, to threaten my fish immune system without proper food and also increased aggression, between difficult to feed fish. So IMHO proper food and environment, is way more important than quarantine.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the video

Two from the 25 000 litre aquarium

And from the 10 000 litre system

I´m sorry but the videos is rather dark because the illumination is been taken down a bit. This because of the heatwave in Sweden for the moment

Sincerely Lasse

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back