OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tell my colleague Jens you need some upside down jellyfish(Cassiopea), this is what you get two months later. Pay attention to the high tech LEDs from IKEA :D
IMG_6088.JPG
IMG_6090.JPG

The spectrum on these IKEA LEDs are actually really good, we tested the light when we had an expert here with a LiCor(or some fancy machine for spectrum measuring). :)

I'm thinking of starting a new thread. Since I can't stick to writing about just the 10000L reef tank, the title of this thread is a bit misleading. So the new thread will kind of the same, but be called something more fitting. Just have to figure out a good title :rolleyes: And I need to get some more energy. Lots of meetings this week.. And writing in English here at R2R I can't be too tired(otherwise nobody but Lasse will understand my Swenglish).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tell my colleague Jens you need some upside down jellyfish(Cassiopea), this is what you get two months later. Pay attention to the high tech LEDs from IKEA :D
IMG_6088.JPG
IMG_6090.JPG

The spectrum on these IKEA LEDs are actually really good, we tested the light when we had an expert here with a LiCor(or some fancy machine for spectrum measuring). :)

I'm thinking of starting a new thread. Since I can't stick to writing about just the 10000L reef tank, the title of this thread is a bit misleading. So the new thread will kind of the same, but be called something more fitting. Just have to figure out a good title :rolleyes: And I need to get some more energy. Lots of meetings this week.. And writing in English here at R2R I can't be too tired(otherwise nobody but Lasse will understand my Swenglish).
That is amazing!

I have a title for you to use....

"My job is so much better than yours, and here are all the reasons why" :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6088.JPG
IMG_6090.JPG

Tag me please, I'm lazy and miss stuff! ;)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6088.JPG
IMG_6090.JPG

Thinking outside the box(IKEA lighting), @Lasse would be proud of Jens.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View from the short side window in the 2000 litre reef tank.
Oh, and I managed to get room for another Hydra 52 over the middle of this tank :) Turned out to be hard to replace one 400W MH(with a good reflector) with small LEDs. Two Hydra couldn't get the same coverage. So now there's three Hydra 52 where the old MH was(these corals like a lot of light, or at least they are use to it). :D
Snapseed.jpeg

Still haven't figured out the title for the new thread. I'm not sure I dare to use @Brew12 'a idea :rolleyes:
Maybe "Behind the scenes at a public aquarium" is a more accurate title?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I managed to get room for another Hydra 52 over the middle of this tank :) Turned out to be hard to replace one 400W MH(with a good reflector) with small LEDs. Two Hydra couldn't get the same coverage. So now there's three Hydra 52 where the old MH was(these corals like a lot of light, or at least they are use to it). :D
Snapseed.jpeg

Still haven't figured out the title for the new thread. I'm not sure I dare to use @Brew12 'a idea :rolleyes:

Gorgeous, Sallstrom. Just amazing. Someone is farmer of the sea. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In more than two years time, I don't think I've managed to get one good photo of these Orange Spotted Filefish. On this one, at least both of them are in the same picture
IMG_6071.JPG

And here are some Filefish food! :)

Snapseed.jpeg

The Filefish are doing well. Still haven't seen them interested in any of the food the other fish eats. But they do like some tasty Acropora and Seriatopora polyps! I think they have been in this tank at least two years now. Two females.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In more than two years time, I don't think I've managed to get one good photo of these Orange Spotted Filefish. On this one, at least both of them are in the same picture
IMG_6071.JPG

And here are some Filefish food! :)

Snapseed.jpeg

The Filefish are doing well. Still haven't seen them interested in any of the food the other fish eats. But they do like some tasty Acropora and Seriatopora polyps! I think they have been in this tank at least two years now. Two females.

WOW

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snapseed.jpeg

Need title more dramatic like "One night behind the scenes at a public aquarium". Yes/no?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need title more dramatic like "One night behind the scenes at a public aquarium". Yes/no?
How about this for a title.
Insight to a museum with the other type of Swedish fish
upload_2018-8-23_19-29-7.png

Thank you! Never though of Swedish fish, that's so good. :D
Also "behind the scenes" is great. Maybe I'll mix those two ideas together ;Happy

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Never though of Swedish fish, that's so good. :D
Also "behind the scenes" is great. Maybe I'll mix those two ideas together ;Happy
One more, "behind the scenes with Mr. Swedish fish. " perfect. I see royalty fees $$$$

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many great ideas to name a new thread! Kind of promised this weekend to my girlfriend, so I might start it next week :rolleyes:
So this post will be short :D

I see a lot of subjects coming up in new threads here over and over again and I feel a bit misplaced to go in and speak my mind in threads with newcomers for example. I'm around aquariums a lot and I'm in my own bubble with other conditions than what many home reefers got. So I think I stick more and more to my threads and some friends threads. I don't like to force my ideas onto someone else:)
I do envy @Lasse and @Brew12 for examples for the time they spend on explaining their thoughts to newcomers. That's is great work and I wish I had that patience!

Cycling a new tank is something I don't really get why that's such a big deal. But on the other hand every new tank I've started the last 10 years, we've used some water from an existing tank. And often some old rocks as well. And after that the tank is kind of good to go :) Not a crazy big load of animals right from the start, but otherwise.

And starting to argue about something like water changes can be a bit wrong when I think of a tank like 2000L and the one I argue with thinks of a 50L tank :rolleyes:

Oh, and all the zero nutrients threads. In which manual(because many seems to be looking for a manual) does is say "aim for 0 ppm nitrate and phosphate" in 2018? I so like that "manual" to be rewritten.. In Sweden there's actually people starting tanks following "The Lasse Method ". I hope he will translate that one soon :)

I might sound arrogant talking about some stuff, in that case I'm sorry. Just a bit frustrated why some things changes so slow. And I might start up a bunch of "help my corals are dying"-threads when we start up the temporary tanks during the rebuilding;Nailbiting

Okey. One day away from "my" aquariums and I need to write this much. Maybe I need to find another hobby to get some distraction on my spare time.. :confused:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about

Göta Reef

It is a play on the Swedish river with a little English tossed in. (like “gotta reef” or “got a reef”).

You know - Gothenburg in Swedish is Göteborg. Göteborg is the only Swedish town that have an English name different from the Swedish name. this because there was many Englishmen coming in here 200 years ago. The Swedish nickname for Gothenburg is "lilla London" (little London).

Are you sure that you do not have any genes from Gothenburg? These is our way of playing with words. Often - our nicknames on buildings and so has at least 3 or 4 different angels :). difficult to explain but I try with an example. Hedendomen in Swedish means heathenism. Heden is a place in Gothenburg. Domen is a Swedish word for a cathedral (large Catholic church) . We are protestants. The small Catholic church of Gothenburg is placed just beside the place named Heden. It is totally clear that in Gothenburg - the small Catholic church near Heden have the name Hedendomen. It means The Cathedral of Heden - but it is also an joke with the Catholics in many levels :) We are known for joking in at least 3 levels :) Another - we have a famous statue (at least in Sweden) of a Swedish King sitting on his warhorse (a stallion - you can clearly se that) The statue is made of bronze - an expansive metal at that time. The poor inhabitants of Gothenburg was not impressed of the Kings statue - they named the statue to "Kopparmärra" Koppar is copper - not so expensive as bronze at that time - märra is dialectal for a mare. They did not bother that it was a King on the top. Today - everyone in Gothenburg know what "Kopparmärra" is - no one knows the name of the King :)

Sincerely Lasse

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know - Gothenburg in Swedish is Göteborg. Göteborg is the only Swedish town that have an English name different from the Swedish name. this because there was many Englishmen coming in here 200 years ago. The Swedish nickname for Gothenburg is "lilla London" (little London).

Are you sure that you do not have any genes from Gothenburg? These is our way of playing with words. Often - our nicknames on buildings and so has at least 3 or 4 different angels :). difficult to explain but I try with an example. Hedendomen in Swedish means heathenism. Heden is a place in Gothenburg. Domen is a Swedish word for a cathedral (large Catholic church) . We are protestants. The small Catholic church of Gothenburg is placed just beside the place named Heden. It is totally clear that in Gothenburg - the small Catholic church near Heden have the name Hedendomen. It means The Cathedral of Heden - but it is also an joke with the Catholics in many levels :) We are known for joking in at least 3 levels :) Another - we have a famous statue (at least in Sweden) of a Swedish King sitting on his warhorse (a stallion - you can clearly se that) The statue is made of bronze - an expansive metal at that time. The poor inhabitants of Gothenburg was not impressed of the Kings statue - they named the statue to "Kopparmärra" Koppar is copper - not so expensive as bronze at that time - märra is dialectal for a mare. They did not bother that it was a King on the top. Today - everyone in Gothenburg know what "Kopparmärra" is - no one knows the name of the King :)

Sincerely Lasse

That is very interesting. Thanks. I believe my ancestry to be German and Irish. I do know the German language will “combine” words in a similar way. I am just fascinated by words in general.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I stick more and more to my threads and some friends threads. I don't like to force my ideas onto someone else:)
I do envy @Lasse and @Brew12 for examples for the time they spend on explaining their thoughts to newcomers. That's is great work and I wish I had that patience!
I appreciate the kind words. I also know exactly how you are feeling. When someone has a disease issue like ich in their tank but they don't want to medicate, I try to give them advice on how to reduce stress and increase nutrition. That upsets the "fallow is the only way" crowd. On the flip side, I often give advice on how to QT and treat fish which upsets a different group of people.

I upset people in nutrient and algae threads all of the time. It may be effective, but not too man people want to pull all the sand and rock out of their system to scrub it. The "I don't add anything if I don't know what is in it" group. The feed heavy group. The dose food grade chemical group. And of course the "It may have worked for them but I tried it and my tank got worse" people. There was a particular case where a guy with a very clean system had a cyano issue and I recommended dosing nitrates up to around 5ppm. They did, and the cyano cleared right up. A guy with lots of algae issues who also had cyano saw that and started dosing nitrates. His tank got worse. That member spent almost 2 weeks following me from thread to thread telling people not to listen to anything I said until they were finally banned.

I wish more people took the time to understand how their tanks actually work as complete systems. I wish more people accepted that there are many ways to be successful in this hobby and that their way is not the only way. I wish people asking for advice were always open minded to that advice and not just looking to have their beliefs reinforced.

And finally, I wish we could do more to pass on actual knowledge. On R2R we have a wealth of experience that we fail to take advantage of. Not long ago I saw a member tell Hans Warner he didn't understand trace element dosing. Atoll and Paul B have had tanks longer than most members here have been alive yet are routinely ignored because they don't communicate the way people expect. And yet someone like me, who started my first aquarium less than 2 years ago, have people that accept everything I say. If only they realized that almost all I do is pass on what I have learned from people like Lasse, Paul, Hans, Randy and Humblefish.

Kind of promised this weekend to my girlfriend, so I might start it next week :rolleyes:

Hmm... I probably shouldn't have turned a beautiful museum thread into a rant about the human condition. Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your girlfriend. You two should hit up a museum or something! ;):p

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the kind words. I also know exactly how you are feeling. When someone has a disease issue like ich in their tank but they don't want to medicate, I try to give them advice on how to reduce stress and increase nutrition. That upsets the "fallow is the only way" crowd. On the flip side, I often give advice on how to QT and treat fish which upsets a different group of people.

I upset people in nutrient and algae threads all of the time. It may be effective, but not too man people want to pull all the sand and rock out of their system to scrub it. The "I don't add anything if I don't know what is in it" group. The feed heavy group. The dose food grade chemical group. And of course the "It may have worked for them but I tried it and my tank got worse" people. There was a particular case where a guy with a very clean system had a cyano issue and I recommended dosing nitrates up to around 5ppm. They did, and the cyano cleared right up. A guy with lots of algae issues who also had cyano saw that and started dosing nitrates. His tank got worse. That member spent almost 2 weeks following me from thread to thread telling people not to listen to anything I said until they were finally banned.

I wish more people took the time to understand how their tanks actually work as complete systems. I wish more people accepted that there are many ways to be successful in this hobby and that their way is not the only way. I wish people asking for advice were always open minded to that advice and not just looking to have their beliefs reinforced.

And finally, I wish we could do more to pass on actual knowledge. On R2R we have a wealth of experience that we fail to take advantage of. Not long ago I saw a member tell Hans Warner he didn't understand trace element dosing. Atoll and Paul B have had tanks longer than most members here have been alive yet are routinely ignored because they don't communicate the way people expect. And yet someone like me, who started my first aquarium less than 2 years ago, have people that accept everything I say. If only they realized that almost all I do is pass on what I have learned from people like Lasse, Paul, Hans, Randy and Humblefish.

Hmm... I probably shouldn't have turned a beautiful museum thread into a rant about the human condition. Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your girlfriend. You two should hit up a museum or something! ;):p

We know I don't conform much, that is actually a great post to respond to, thanks @Brew12 .
I did a whole different filtration upgrade today, stuff using more power! ;)

DSC08131 by sshipuk, on Flickr

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back