100g stocking plans

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’m in the process of planning a 100g upgrade from my 20g nuvo. I really enjoy shoaling fish and is why I chose some species on my list. I’m just curious if this is too much for a 100G tank.

Tank is 4’x2’x19”

2x ocel clowns (some kind of designer)
5x stripped blenny (love these guys)
5x black axial chromis or 5 azure damsels
1x tomini tang
1x cleaner wrasse
1x fire/cleaner shrimp
1x copperband butterfly (will to do the work for the wife)

How does that look? Too much or just fine?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 fish in my 120 and I think it's getting full. I might add 1, maaaaaybe two more smaller fish, but that's it. Looks too crowded to me. I could be wrong, but as far as aesthetics goes, that's what it looks like.
2 clowns
2 lightning chromis
2 cardinals
1 yellow tang (NOT FOR SALE!) lol
1 flasher wrasse

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm old school when it comes to fish. I go with the 1" of fish to 10g of water.

fishfish2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont keep more than one blenny. also copperbands are very difficult to care for, so unless you are willing to put in the dedication i would get rid of it.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont keep more than one blenny. also copperbands are very difficult to care for, so unless you are willing to put in the dedication i would get rid of it.
Stripped blenny are actually a shoaling fish and tend to do better in numbers. Also I’m very dedicated to keeping the copper band happy for my wife.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 fish in my 120 and I think it's getting full. I might add 1, maaaaaybe two more smaller fish, but that's it. Looks too crowded to me. I could be wrong, but as far as aesthetics goes, that's what it looks like.
2 clowns
2 lightning chromis
2 cardinals
1 yellow tang (NOT FOR SALE!) lol
1 flasher wrasse
You can keep a lot more happy fish than that depending on your tanks ability to process waste. At it's peak my 4x2x2 120g had 5 tangs, a copper banded, and 9 other misc small fish that all got along swimmingly.

I did not run a skimmer or any other filtration so I started to get a decent amount of byropsis with all the food required to keep those tangs fed, which eventually caused me to sell a couple of the tangs. All is back to normal now with 3x tangs, 1x copper banded, 1x coral beauty angel, 1x potters wrasse, 1x canary blenny, 1x royal gramma, 1x long nose hawk, 1x marine beta, 1x banggai cardinal, 1x fire fish, 2x clown goby and 1x lawnmower blenny.

If I had the desire to run a skimmer I could only imagine the possibilities in this tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 37

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list is fine - as has been indicated, it's your ability to remove waste that will determine if you have too many fish. I would probably look at a dwarf angel over a tang based on the size of your tank - but that's just me.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around 10 fish, 2 are growing out to go in the tank and when blaxsun says dwarf Angel that could mean anything from Genicanthus to Centropyge angels but I think they mean the centropyge angels haha.
7-8 out of 10 fish in my tank are supposedly relatively active fish yet nobody is stressed. As many have said the water has a big enough volume to manage the waist. Here’s my fish in a 4’x2’x2’ tank:
- Genicanthus melanospilos (Spot breast angelfish),
- Ctenochaetus binotatus (Twin spot bristletooth tang),
- Siganus magnificus (Magnificent Foxface)
- Halichoeres chloropterus (Jade/Green “coris” wrasse)
- Halichoeres iridis (Radiant/multicolour wrasse)
- Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus (Black margin fairy wrasse)
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Indonesian Lubbock’s fairy wrasse)
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Cebu Lubbock’s fairy wrasse)
- Amphiprion Occelaris x Amphiprion percula (Black Photon Clownfish)
- Chelmon rostratum (Cobber banded butterflyfish)

My fish get relatively big but the last three to go in will be wrasses - I would love Acanthurus nigricans but unfortunately my tank is too big for the one my LFS has in (A beautiful 3-4” specimen).

In my max nano (Growing out) are:

- Cirrhilabrus naokoae (Naoko fairy wrasse)
- Macropharyngodon bipartitus (Blue star leopard wrasse)
Also in that tank are:
- Gobiodon astrangulatus (Black Clown Goby)
- Stonogobiops yasha (Yasha goby)
- Escenius lineatus (Dot dash Blenny)
- PseudocheiliNOPS ataenia (Pink streaked wrasse - NOT to be confused with pseudocheiliNUS hexataenia)

So yes, both my tanks could be classed as over stocked however no fish is stressed/showing signs of stress. I will move the naoko when he starts showing signs of stress however for now he just chills in the nano not caring whatsoever about the tank size.

Last edited:
Back