10X Turnover ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Triton Users: What is your Turnover?

• Total voters

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be little logic to running anything more than say double of what your skimmer can handle through the sump / refugium. Agitation to suspend detritus can be more cheaply achieved with a couple of powerheads. In my 500G, I'd have to push through 5000G/hr !! seriously !!? where do they dream this up from ?

James Johnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my understanding that 10x turn over was more of a minimum most that run acro tank do much more than that. Triton method aside flow is largely overlooked in the hobby

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my understanding that 10x turn over was more of a minimum most that run acro tank do much more than that. Triton method aside flow is largely overlooked in the hobby
Hi JJ,

In the 'old days' we used to have a rule of thumb for sps tanks, 10x - 20x display tank volume flow per hour within the display tank. The sump was where you kept the accessories (skimmer, heaters, probes, etc.) and refugium. Flow through the sump was often recommended in the range 2x - 4x display tank volume per hour which makes sense as you don't need high flow for the equipment and refugium. Notwithstanding, as the display increases in size so the size of the plumbing becomes limited by the inlet/outlet ports of the return pump, the weir outlet capacity, as well as the available water supply pipe diameters.

With any stretch of the imagination, it is simply ludicrous to recommend +10x flow through the sump. ;-)

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is are you actually measuring turnover via a flow monitor or relying on pump curves and head? I run a 300DD and the pump curves based on head said I would be at 12x turnover. However, when I put in a flow meter and calibrated it I was actually only getting 1.5X turnover. I changed the plumbing out and only got to 2X. Now I have a new pump and I am at 5X. That is going to have to do for now.

Joe Heavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not certain dwell time for algae is the same as skimmers... would be interesting if there were some hard data.

FWIW JMetaxas, I do use the full Triton method and figuring out how to achieve the necessary flow was one of the more difficult tasks to overcome with a 120DT, 125g sump in the basement and 23' of head between the two.

It was incredibly expensive upfront, but if you do the math and compare energy savings vs the cost of operating a reeflo and likely having to replace it at least once (if not twice) over the same period; an Abyzz is the route to go.

Now as the old adage goes: "just because you own a snowblower doesn't mean you should use it in July." I had designed a system that could handle a system turnover of 10x... all of 2,200 GPH... at 23' of head. It was way, way to much!!

What I hadn't considered was the impact of putting the larger sump in on total flow. With the Abyzz's ability to be controlled by an Apex, the system has been running for a while now at a much more sedate 1,300 GPH (or roughly a 120g tank +10% x 10).

I am also using an external skimmer that draws after the refugium and returns at the head end of the sump, adding another 2x to 3x turnover just in the basement alone.

A whole lotta flow, but seems to be working.

I'll probably jinx it for saying this, and remember you are "reading this on the internet," but in 30 some odd years of marine aquarium keeping that Abyzz pump is likely the most impressive piece of equipment (certainly top five) I have owned - and that covers a LOT of cool stuff!!

...yeah, yeah, yeah... I am old enough to not only know why they call 'em power-heads, but I actually can remember going "hi-tech" and replacing air stones in my under gravel filters with them!

M
I agree on the abyzz I am waiting on rocks sand and salt and have been running RODI water in the system for two weeks and my sump is in the basement with about 12 feet head pressure and with the little a100 I have zero flow problems that little guy is quiet and powerful! Also tiny!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back