117g custom

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, this setup is already done, figured since I'm new to this forum I'd show you what I got.

Equip: bubble Magnus 180-ex, reefkeeper lite, reef octopus calcium reactor, BRS bio pellet reactor, large Cpr fuge, mag18 return, one korelia 1400 ( to be replaced with mp40 when I find one for a good price. Titanium heater, 2 AI Sol's blue ( going to add 3 magenta exotica strips soon). 5g container with JBJ ATO

I got the custom 117g tank and stand frame from a good friend. I added a 29g sump, stripped, lowered the floor, trimmed, built doors and stained the stand. Cleaned and resealed the tank. It has four returns and two back corner overflows. I had this build done. In a month and a half. Had to have it finished before my son was born.

Here's some pics of the build:
a6890eeb-3d10-944b.jpg

My buddy Encore was a huge help.
a6890eeb-3d32-0e9b.jpg

a6890eeb-3d42-535b.jpg

a6890eeb-3d56-3488.jpg

a6890eeb-3d6b-6ea4.jpg

a6890eeb-3d80-4c06.jpg

a6890eeb-3d93-d3b2.jpg

a6890eeb-3da5-b1b2.jpg

a6890eeb-3db6-9c71.jpg

a6890eeb-3dc7-880f.jpg

a6890eeb-3dd7-8fd6.jpg

a6890eeb-3deb-6523.jpg

The front of the canopy opens, I hid that fact with trim. All the trim over laps so you can't see the gap. And you can still open it.
a6890eeb-3e38-f280.jpg

a6890eeb-3e4a-9203.jpg

Up and running for over a week. I used about 80 gallons of my old water and over 60g new. I've been running microbacter 7 every day and keeping fingers crossed. I've only lost 1 acro colony, all fish are doing great. Light schedule is 1 month for full acclimation and probably won't go over 60%. Tank deminsions 40x26x26. The tank will be sps dominant and going to start a chalice collection.

Also have a 29bio cube with softies, zoas set up for the wife.
a6890eeb-4159-9571.jpg

It's been cleaned and blue tubbs added since this pic. Lol

OP
OP
Bluejawtrigger

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a6890eeb-4403-1d6b.jpg

Next to my 75g. I've moved probably 100 tanks, first time switching in the same spot.
a6890eeb-4437-b109.jpg

48 hour water test.
a6890eeb-4451-e75c.jpg

a6890eeb-4462-d98e.jpg

a6890eeb-4471-6e19.jpg

a6890eeb-447f-9126.jpg

Up and running for just over a week.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great man! Nice work.

OP
OP
Bluejawtrigger

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. I'm only going to stock high end Chalices and Acros from this point. I'm going to add another tang, just not sure what kind yet. I currently have Melanurus wrasse ( fully switched to a male), mature leopard wrasse, Vlamangi Tang, Mandarin, Bangaii, cleaner shrimp, Blue Jaw Trigger. I've got several named corals: Blue Voodoo, Blue tort, tri color, sunset monti, tyree undata, strawberry shortcake ( not doing so well), Bonsai, Micro Landon ( I forget the name, but you guys will know, lol). Birds of paradise, ora blue polyp birdsnest, green birdsnest, a few favias ( ones the size of a softball), fruit loop zoas, Eagle eyes, one other I can't remember, blue tubbs, peach. I've got like 30 more acros that I can remember the names or are no name). Duncan, devils hand, yellow gorgonian, GSP, Derassa Clam. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. O' my first Chalice will be here today . Fist Full of Dollars, it got named by a local friend. ( it's a LE, by tyree). And I'm waiting in anticipation for what ever I won, or my son Jackson won from SexyCorals during the live sale. I look forward to buying more from the vendors here. I've been drooling since I got on this forum Saturday. Truely nothing short of top notch corals by everyone on this forum. Extremely impressed and happy I found and joined this forum.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, but you did an amazing​ job on that stand! With the mouldings you picked and the lion's feet, it's a piece of furniture.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks sweet! And the stand/canopy is phenomenal! Can't wait to see some chalices in there:smile:

OP
OP
Bluejawtrigger

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, but you did an amazing​ job on that stand! With the mouldings you picked and the lion's feet, it's a piece of furniture.

Thank you. I wanted it to be a piece of furniture, not just a stand. I used to do specialized carpentry, it took awhile for it to come back to me.

Thanks KLR. Chalice is in. I still need a few of yours.

a6890cd3-c0a1-52cf.jpg

a6890cd3-c0ae-1936.jpg

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, that stand looks like it cost a fortune! I feel your pain (moving tank into same spot) The room was a mess when I did that just a few days ago. Definitely stock up on those named corals, I find it really hard to sell no namers, and frags are good money.

OP
OP
Bluejawtrigger

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, that stand looks like it cost a fortune! I feel your pain (moving tank into same spot) The room was a mess when I did that just a few days ago. Definitely stock up on those named corals, I find it really hard to sell no namers, and frags are good money.

Thank you so much, I poured my soul into the stand. I just want some really nice pieces, and don't want our natural reefs picked clean. Trying to stay aquacultured. If that makes since. Plus, I've seen some sexy corals on this forum I have to have. I'm looking for pearl berry, a nicer piece of strawberry shortcake and a few others.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearlberry is pretty cool, I picked a frag up myself. Seems like a slower grower, but I have not had it long. Strawberry shortcake is cool too, I will get it one day.

OP
OP
Bluejawtrigger

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearl berry is on my must have list, which is a very long list. I appreciate everyone, I'll post updated pics as the collection grows and tank matures.

OP
OP
Bluejawtrigger

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost forgot, I've got a nice piece of Microlados from Wes at Reefsmart last year. I can't wait to see what it does under LEDs.

I've got a few acros that've turned brown or white with the tank/light switch. But I've learned this means nothing. If the white ones are still white in two months, I'll yank them out. I've seen corals come back from nothing. And I'm not going to blame the LEDs. It's like bio pellets. People add them to their system, something goes wrong over a period of a couple months, and they want to blame them. There's no silver bullet in this hobby. Nothing takes away from good husbandry/maintenance. I have bio pellets, and I act like I never add them. Same goes with LEDs, just because you add them, it doesn't make your water quality pristine. What if you have a bunch of CUC die, a fish, phosphates from a water change ( bad filter on ro unit) etc, etc. I'm just saying for the record. It's easier to blame whatever has just changed, than us getting slack because we added a silver bullet, so to speak.

OP
OP
Bluejawtrigger

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the bio pellet reactor doubters out there. Had my buddy bring his Hannah tester over. Measured 0.05. The tanks been running 2 days shy of 2 weeks. No GFO. Wohoo!!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back