120G Rimless shallow peninsula tank

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it was the lack of trace elements? I would imagine it was probably the food being the biggest issue.

Hopefully nothing too serious. When I travel now I find I worry much more, but upon returning everything is much better without me. The tank when it was younger used to build up algae on the glass to the point of not being able to see the inside! It was like unwrapping a present, and hoping for something good, every time I came back home.

Were you using the eheim? I've heard lots of people mention they've switched to smaller pellets due to clogging.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it was the lack of trace elements? I would imagine it was probably the food being the biggest issue.

Hopefully nothing too serious. When I travel now I find I worry much more, but upon returning everything is much better without me. The tank when it was younger used to build up algae on the glass to the point of not being able to see the inside! It was like unwrapping a present, and hoping for something good, every time I came back home.

Were you using the eheim? I've heard lots of people mention they've switched to smaller pellets due to clogging.
I use a Grasslin feeder and the problem was that the plug was not well seated in the power supply. I must have touched it while doing some last changes before I left.
I dose nitrates so these went depleted as well over the last days.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I did the necessary water changes and looked in my aquarium stuff what else was there that could be dosed.
I found some more KZ products that I hooked up to the dosing pumps and hope this will be sufficient till they last.

Daily dosing as from now:
- 6ml of KZ K-balance
- 6ml of KZ coral booster
- 1ml of NO3
On 3 days interval:
- 3ml of KZ B-blance

As for the lighting, I removed the 2 GHL Lightbars and replaced them by 2 T5 bulbs of 54W each. There were some ATI Coral + left from the previous T5 fixture so for now these are giving extra support to the radions.
The T5 fixture is bought is the iAquatics from the lovely UK. Simple design, simpler installation.. until you find out how long the cables are to connect to the power supply... :mad:

The idea is to add another 2 54W bulbs with ATI Blue+ colour. I just have to find out how to add these as the space in the hanging canopy is limited.

Oh yes, I removed 2 colonies yesterday due to STN. :(

Sorry, no pictures yet as they are still on the camera and I had no time to tweak them for proper viewing.
Tonight I will get some more as I need the monthly FTS done.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci,

I feel your pain, and I hope you can minimize Damage, and get some recovery going.
Don't throw Corals out you think are dead, since sometimes they recover when tank is back to normal.
If you have a place to put them in a corner that might be good for a while. Actually best to leave them where they are (even it not great to look at).

If corals glow florescence in blue actinic light, they are alive and might recover.

Bring things up slowly (everything). Especially any increase in lighting if Nutrients are low. Better to actually decrease lighting when corals are sensitive. They can handle cloudy days.

Water Change are the best medicine for a Ailing Tank, especially for trace elements....Since they are balanced in Salt. (Only downside is they will drop Nutrients, and things like Nitrates).
Feeding your hunry fish extra will help with Nutrients and Nitrates.

Coral Foods, like Polyp Lab Booster, along with Poly Lab Reef Roids. (at night when the corals are feeding and lights are off)

The B-Balance is just KZ's Magic potion of Trace elements (it may help). No sure what Coral Booster is for.

Have you measured your Potassium (K), ....Shouldn't be raised to quickly, so use K-Balance carefully.

Keep us posted, and get some photo's out, since I am worring things are worse then maybe they are.

Last edited:

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just caught up. I am sorry to hear about the damage done to your reef, and hopefully it will recover soon.

Some times moving your tank is not a bad thing, yes it is a lot work, however it will give you a fresh start and opportunity to improve few things. And I know how you feel regrading being an expat like me as you most probably know.
Also I am working on a long term move from Saudi to Jordan, and sent the first batch of frags to my 50 gallons back home. We are not going to live here in the gulf forever and eventually we will need to go back sooner or latter. and it looks like sooner for me.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @GoVols @WallyB @RichtheReefer21 @fabutahoun for checking in.

The past weeks have been too busy with work and mmmm... life actually.
The tank seems to be ok and I am not so concerned about it for the moment. I have done the necessary water changes and cleaning after finding it back in less condition after those short holidays.
The additional T5 did not hurt too much, except for 2 acros that got spooked from the extra PAR. I dialed down the Radions a bit and all got in an impasse. The next days acclimation will continue slowly.

Water samples were sent out for ICP testing.
Rodi looks good.
Tank water still has high Ba, Zn, Cu and N. But compared with the ICP test of 1.5 month ago, the values are decreasing.
This means the water changes are slowly helping the overall condition.

I am having some trouble with the CaRX reactor as in the CO2 mixing tube foam is created all the time.
I am not sure where this comes from and how it is affecting the performance. For now, ALK is stable around 7.5dKH. (now that I wrote this, probably tonight when I come home it will be at 10... ;Woot)

20181109_165826.jpg

I hope to have more time this weekend to finalize the photos from the last weeks.

Oh... and while my wife was in London last week, she brought me this:
Now only to mix it in rodi and set up the dosers.

20181113_193809.jpg

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @GoVols @WallyB @RichtheReefer21 @fabutahoun for checking in.

The past weeks have been too busy with work and mmmm... life actually.
The tank seems to be ok and I am not so concerned about it for the moment. I have done the necessary water changes and cleaning after finding it back in less condition after those short holidays.
The additional T5 did not hurt too much, except for 2 acros that got spooked from the extra PAR. I dialed down the Radions a bit and all got in an impasse. The next days acclimation will continue slowly.

Water samples were sent out for ICP testing.
Rodi looks good.
Tank water still has high Ba, Zn, Cu and N. But compared with the ICP test of 1.5 month ago, the values are decreasing.
This means the water changes are slowly helping the overall condition.

I am having some trouble with the CaRX reactor as in the CO2 mixing tube foam is created all the time.
I am not sure where this comes from and how it is affecting the performance. For now, ALK is stable around 7.5dKH. (now that I wrote this, probably tonight when I come home it will be at 10... ;Woot)

20181109_165826.jpg

I hope to have more time this weekend to finalize the photos from the last weeks.

Oh... and while my wife was in London last week, she brought me this:
Now only to mix it in rodi and set up the dosers.

20181113_193809.jpg
Is this a DaStaCo2?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how you get on with the coral essentials. :)
Me too, wonder how your corals will react to the Essential Goodies....
I ordered the AMINO and GRO last week...on it's way.
But you got the full spectrum. That will be interesting. .

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, wonder how your corals will react to the Essential Goodies....
I ordered the AMINO and GRO last week...on it's way.
But you got the full spectrum. That will be interesting. .
I did not buy the aminos because I see that the KZ aminos give too much food for cyano.
More updates coming soon.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to update this thread a little after the period of less love over the last weeks.
First things first... the bad news. I lost some acros due to STN during the holidays.
Where STN started, it also finished the coral. Took them out a couple of days ago.

45872349472_5de4313064_k.jpg

45921809311_f8d2fcdf96_k.jpg

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes were done and corals looked happier after that.
In the same time, I replaced the GHL Mitras Lightbars by the iAquatics 2x54W T5 which I brought from UK. There is an option for a second pair of 54W but I will have to check for space in the lightrack.

The fittings came with rather short cables which did not allow me to place the power supply inside the cabinet.
I added them at the back cover that hides the overflow box for now. Due to the special plug, I will have to look out for an extension cable.
30983148087_3fa9a2b9df_k.jpg

45921811911_39feaac1bf_k.jpg

45921814601_09e12ca9b2_k.jpg

45872558952_84b1572c8e_k.jpg

45197805224_ec32f8f4a9_k.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back