120g tank

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the early planning stages for a 40 breeder. A friend gifted an already cycled/stocked tank 8 months ago, so I have saltwater experience but have never set up a tank before. So far, this is the equipment I’m planning to buy:
-Aqueon 40g breeder
-Imagitarium Brooklyn metal stand
-Seachem Tidal 55 filter
-AI Nero 5 powerhead x2
-AI Prime light x2
-Fluval M150 heater
-Caribsea aragonite black sand x40lbs
-Dry rock x40lbs
This is not supposed to be a super complex build. I do not feel like a sump and will definitely be using the sea hem filter. However, I am open to any other suggestions. Also, can I get away with one light/one power head while it’s cycling? And I also would appreciate stocking suggestions. I am definitely getting:
-Banggai cardinalfish (potentially multiple?)
-Sand sifting goby
-Tiger pistol shrimp? Or are there any other shrimp that pair with gobies?
-Chocolate chip starfish
Your help and recommendations are much appreciated. Also, updates may be slow through the planning phase

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work. (Sump better but I run only HOB with soft corals)

I have various soft corals and only 4 fish (clown, bangaii and pajama cardinals, tailspot blenny) in similar setup:
- 40 gallon breeder
- 2x AI Prime HD
- 1x AI Nero 5
- 1x Seachem Tidal 75
- 2x Eheim Jager 100w glass heaters
- maybe 40ish lbs of rock (half live, half was dry)
*I struggle more with low nutrients (mostly phosphates) than high but, as you can see, my fish bio-load is pretty low

Question -- are you planning for corals. I ask because:
(A. Chocolate chip star is NOT reef safe (((had one for about 2 years but had to donate when I got corals)))
(B. Lighting and powerheads you mentioned would be sufficient for corals but probably overkill if no corals planned (((definitely fine but not necessary)))

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with acros/montis so I'll let others comment on lighting but since you're looking at the AI Primes, I think this BRS video is worth watching since they do PAR testing with various tanks including 40B and 2x vs 3x AI Primes on that tank and suggest some mounting height/spacing setups:

AI Prime Tests

For starfish, not sure:
CC star was easy but not reef safe.
Tried a Fromia Indica and it was looking good still at 8 month mark but disappeared when I was on a 2 week vacation -- assumption is it must've taken a turn for the worse and disintegrated which seems fairly common in small and/or not REALLY well-established tanks. (I thought I'd be fine but guess not)
*I have tons of micro brittle stars that reproduce but surely not what you meant

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom mentioned reading something about using Safe/other dechlorinator and tap water for the initial filling of the tank. I have never read anything about this, and ask if this will actually work

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good first fish for a 40 that aren’t clowns/damsels? Can you keep dwarf angels in a 40, even if only for a short time? Will they eat coral? What about flame angels in particular? And could I keep a mandarin goby that already takes frozen in there?

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good first fish for a 40 that aren’t clowns/damsels? Can you keep dwarf angels in a 40, even if only for a short time? Will they eat coral? What about flame angels in particular? And could I keep a mandarin goby that already takes frozen in there?

Yes and yes to both fish, although Flames really shine in longer tanks. 36x18 is a decent footprint tho, while it’s smaller. Long term I prefer to give most small angels at least 4ft. The flame will likely not be safe with coral, though. I had one eat a Hammer. I think it depends on the fish but I wouldn’t risk it in a reef.

Goby will be fine.

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of the following fish should I add first (please reply with the name of only ONE fish on the list):
YWG/tiger pistol pair
Royal Gramma
Six-line Wrasse
Banggai Cardinalfish
Flame Angel
Mandarin Goby (that already eats prepared food)
Firefish Goby

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright… change of plan… likely doing a 55 long tank instead. Equipment/stocking will remain fairly the same, except for these three things:
1. +50 watts to the heater (200 watts total)
2. Going from Tidal 55 to Tidal 75 filter
3. Adding a Tomini tang to the stocking list
Edit: once I start growing LPS/SPS, I’ll also add:
-a third light
-a Red Sea gyre

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An updated supply list:
Aqueon 55 long tank
Custom wooden stand
Dry rock x55lbs
Caribsea aragonite pink sand x80lbs
Seachem Tidal 75 filter
Eheim Jager 200w heater
Red Sea RL50 light x3
Red Sea RL bracket x3
AI Nero 5 powerhead x2
Red Sea gyre (still looking at sizing
options)

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you already buy the tank?
Personally, I like the dimensions of the Aqueon 60 gallon breeder better than the 55 long so just curious.

For heaters, 2x smaller heaters might be better than 1x larger -- note that the Eheim glass heaters are pretty long.
I run 2x 100w Eheim Jager heaters mounted vertically in a 40 breeder and they're just about as tall as I could mount vertically.

*aside -- I typo'ed earlier on the Seachem Tidal,,, I actually use a Tidal 110 just because I like the larger chamber in case I ever want to do anything differently inside it, like mini refugium or something, but haven't yet. (Not necessary but just thinking aloud)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back