120g tank

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 breeder is shorter but deeper, front-to-back.
I think the length is basically the same.
*just gives more room (front to back) to fit stuff, if you don't need the height for any plan you have for your rock work. (Just personal preference though)

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't bought the 55 yet I'd highly suggest you reconsider. It's far too narrow front to back IME. They're perfect for freshwater. 60 breeder or a 4ft 75g would be much better for anything with corals. Might be a little more expensive but you'll save money because in 6 months you'll want to upgrade from the 55 anyway just for more depth in your aquascape.

In fact if you live anywhere near Richmond VA I've got a 75 with the stand that I will literally give you for free.

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking more at the sixty gallon breeder, all the reviews say that aqueon tanks are very prone to leaking. What is your personal experience with these tanks? Should I trust them or should I get a better brand?

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking more at the sixty gallon breeder, all the reviews say that aqueon tanks are very prone to leaking. What is your personal experience with these tanks? Should I trust them or should I get a better brand?
Aqueon are fine in my experience. I've always used them for sumps. And I did once have a 55 gallon tall aqueon that never had any issues, and it also sat in my unfinished non-climate controlled basement for 2 years and still held water. If there's a selection of them available, pay attention to the silicone because in my sump and on my QT tank they did a TERRIBLE job of cleaning it up and it's hideous, but you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be so undecided, but I returned the 55g… and now I might be getting a 120. I contacted a structual engineer to see if my first floor with a basement underneath could support that much weight. I’m expecting him to reply back tomorrow.

Drewe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be so undecided, but I returned the 55g… and now I might be getting a 120. I contacted a structual engineer to see if my first floor with a basement underneath could support that much weight. I’m expecting him to reply back tomorrow.
Awesome decision! Looking forward to that update!

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear a lot of Red Sea horror stories, but also have seen a fair share of people that have never had a problem with them. Do you think it’s worth the risk of getting a Red Sea Reefer AIO?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always tell everyone to get the biggest that they can manage

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always say go bigger if you can afford it!
That’s the thing, I’m not sure if I can afford it, but I really want to keep larger tangs (blonde naso, blue hippo, sailfin, and foxface, though not all at once), and have heard they need at least 5 feet of space. The 525 is 5 feet long where the 425 is only 4.

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the thing, I’m not sure if I can afford it, but I really want to keep larger tangs (blonde naso, blue hippo, sailfin, and foxface, though not all at once), and have heard they need at least 5 feet of space. The 525 is 5 feet long where the 425 is only 4.
There is something about this hobby that just drives us to want more and more! Love how this started as a 40 breeder thread and has moved into possibly a 110 gallon build!

If money is a concern and you are down to those two tanks and those tangs I would say save the $500 ish and go with the 425. The hippo, sailfin, and foxface will do fine in a 90 gallon for quite some time and even then I've seen some full grown specimens in a tank that size (granted they were thin for other fish with it). Not necessarily promoting it, but it will work. Only one I'd say is a no go would be the Naso, but then again the 525 will be too small as well considering how fast they grow.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mutiple AQUEON Tanks from 40 breeders to My current 75 gallons x 2 and two 125 gallon tanks. ALL have been great tanks well made clean silicone Black and clear and hold up well. I would NOT currently trust red sea with all the horror stories. Overrated IMO.

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the G2+, which I heard only released this year, appears to be much stronger, with thicker glass, seam guards, and a redesigned stand. And I’ve heard a fair share of Aqueon horror stories as well. When I returned the 55g Aqueon, the woman at petco was genuinely shocked that it wasn’t broken.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back