140 Gallon 60x18x30 Stocking

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on getting my first saltwater aqarium, however I have 3 freshwater aquariums already (Up To 135 Gallons) so I'm not a complete beginner, and I would really appreciate some help with peaceful Stocking in my 60x18x30 140 Gallon tank. I definitely want a Snowflake Eel and a Yellow Tang. (As Long As They Will Be Happy In My Tank) Feel free to recommend any fish that will work with my options, and coral as I want some nice coral as well. Also if you can, please tell me what your recommended fish eat. Thank You.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t limit yourself to only yellow tang when picking this type there are a lot of beautiful species, no idea about eel keeping but I’d imagine you won’t be getting any ornamental inverts with that beast.

anthias are awesome looking, wrasse are just overall the coolest. Gotta get a pair of clowns it’s almost a rule. Maybe since u already have eel and no inverts could do a puffer like a Valentini

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I was definitely thinking of a pair of clownfish, and are wrasse schooling for or not. Also, could you maybe tell me about saltwater angelfish. (I Have Freshwater Angles In My 135, So Are They Similar To Them) Are the peaceful and would they go well with other fish. The reason I choose a Yellow Tang, is because where I live, the only fish stores with in an hour of me are Petro and Petsmart and the only tangs they get, that I've seen, are Blue Hippo, Yellow, Tomini, and Sailfin. If I can, could I also get a Tomini with the Yellow? I know Sailfin's need 8 foot tanks (Their Kind Of Like A Sailfin Pleco But Need Even Bigger Tanks) and I heard that tangs over 8 inches need a 6' tank, so I though a Blue Hippo or something similar sized would be to big, am I right or not?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I was definitely thinking of a pair of clownfish, and are wrasse schooling for or not. Also, could you maybe tell me about saltwater angelfish. (I Have Freshwater Angles In My 135, So Are They Similar To Them) Are the peaceful and would they go well with other fish. The reason I choose a Yellow Tang, is because where I live, the only fish stores with in an hour of me are Petro and Petsmart and the only tangs they get, that I've seen, are Blue Hippo, Yellow, Tomini, and Sailfin. If I can, could I also get a Tomini with the Yellow? I know Sailfin's need 8 foot tanks (Their Kind Of Like A Sailfin Pleco But Need Even Bigger Tanks) and I heard that tangs over 8 inches need a 6' tank, so I though a Blue Hippo or something similar sized would be to big, am I right or not?
A bristletooth tang (tomini is one) will do fine with the yellow. It's good that you're taking the appropriate tank size into account... I believe that a 5 foot tank is too small for a blue or sailfin. Some decide to buy small ones and then sell them when they get too big, but personally I have a hard time rehoming my pets ;)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only angels you'll be able to keep in a smaller tank are the dwarf varieties... Coral beauty, flame, lemon peel, etc. The larger varieties need a LOT of room.
The dwarf angels can nip/eat coral, so it might be a good idea to only buy one from another reefer who can vouch that it's reef safe (unless you're not planning on keeping coral).

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was looking into flame angles, would they be compatible with a Snowflake Eel. Also, are there any smaller, but not tiny, schooling fish. Also, any types of Wrasse or Cardinalfish that will work.

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bristletooth tang (tomini is one) will do fine with the yellow. It's good that you're taking the appropriate tank size into account... I believe that a 5 foot tank is too small for a blue or sailfin. Some decide to buy small ones and then sell them when they get too big, but personally I have a hard time rehoming my pets ;)
I definitely look at appropriate tank size, as I keep freshwater tanks and I bought a Common Pleco for our 75 Gallon tank. However, I knew this would be too small eventually so I finished cycling my 135 gallon 6' long tank 2 weeks ago and moved the 8.5 inch Pleco over. She's a lot happier now. Thanks for all the help I have one question which interests me and I know that a 75 gallon tank will keep a 14 inch Oscar happy, but a 12 inch Blue Hippo needs a 125 gallon to be happy. Could you explain why that is, if theirs a reason?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was looking into flame angles, would they be compatible with a Snowflake Eel. Also, are there any smaller, but not tiny, schooling fish. Also, any types of Wrasse or Cardinalfish that will work.
I've never had an eel so I can't comment on what fish they are compatible with. As far as schooling fish, cardinals will sometimes school but are nocturnal so won't be too active during the day. Anthias may school, and chromis usually do, but can become aggressive.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely look at appropriate tank size, as I keep freshwater tanks and I bought a Common Pleco for our 75 Gallon tank. However, I knew this would be too small eventually so I finished cycling my 135 gallon 6' long tank 2 weeks ago and moved the 8.5 inch Pleco over. She's a lot happier now. Thanks for all the help I have one question which interests me and I know that a 75 gallon tank will keep a 14 inch Oscar happy, but a 12 inch Blue Hippo needs a 125 gallon to be happy. Could you explain why that is, if theirs a reason?
Oscars sit still and tangs swim a lot... That's the simple answer ;)

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oscars sit still and tangs swim a lot... That's the simple answer ;)
That what I thought, I love big freshwater fish, tangs and eels, that why I was wondering. Is that also why a 24 inch Snowflake eel could live in a 75, but a blue hippo Tang that is 12 inches couldn't?

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I have a Tomini, Yellow Tang, Snowflake Eel, Flame Anglefish (Single Or Pair, I Know Freshwater Angles Pair, Do Saltwater Angles Pair As Well) would a group of 6 Flame Cardinals work, and how about a type of wrasse?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the Genicanthus angels will do well in that tank. Here's my Watanabe

20210807_203252.jpg

Bkatz1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 60" long tank. (60x25x24) I have 2 dwarf angels (lemon peel and flame), one regal angel (not reef safe), 4 tangs (Purple, PBT, Tomini, and Hippo), 5 blue chromis, 1 midas blenny, 1 clownfish, and 1 Melanarus Wrasse. Everyone gets along fine, I do feed 2-3 times a day and there is almost always Nori in the tank. When you come up with your stocking list, take time to put the fish in the correct order. That will make a big difference on stress levels.
DSC02000.JPG

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yello eye Cole tank or Ctenochaetus strigosus is an awesome addition and it's is the best algea eater I know off.

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I do a pair of Anglefish or just one, will a pair of clownfish work and a wrasse or a flame cardinal work as well?

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 60" long tank. (60x25x24) I have 2 dwarf angels (lemon peel and flame), one regal angel (not reef safe), 4 tangs (Purple, PBT, Tomini, and Hippo), 5 blue chromis, 1 midas blenny, 1 clownfish, and 1 Melanarus Wrasse. Everyone gets along fine, I do feed 2-3 times a day and there is almost always Nori in the tank. When you come up with your stocking list, take time to put the fish in the correct order. That will make a big difference on stress levels.
DSC02000.JPG
So adding the fish in a certain order will help? Should I add the Tang first, Eel, or angelfish?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So adding the fish in a certain order will help? Should I add the Tang first, Eel, or angelfish?
Don’t add tangs first. This is due to aggression from them, if there’s one thing that’s similar between Cichlids and Tangs it’s the aggression that comes with them, however Tangs are aggressive to other fish as well as other tangs.

As for your question of the wrasses, eels usually grab narrow bodied fish first, whilst wrasses are a rather fast fish they may still be at risk of being picked off as the eel grows. With the wrasses if you don’t plan on coral you can always go for something from one of the genus Scarus (These are Parrotfish however they’re part of the same family). These will gnaw on coral to eat the Algae and other microorganisms living on or in the coral skeleton. I’d recommend Scarus quoyi as these are the most common and I believe the smallest of this genus.

With the angels, don’t go for a regular old Dwarf unless you really want one. I agree with the above, Go for one from the genus Genicanthus! This is the most reefsafe genus of angels that is much less likely to eat coral. I need a more recent photo of my Genicanthus melanospilos, however here’s an older photo :)
41E3DA59-2C7A-4504-920D-40FD1432BA10.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add tangs first. This is due to aggression from them, if there’s one thing that’s similar between Cichlids and Tangs it’s the aggression that comes with them, however Tangs are aggressive to other fish as well as other tangs.

As for your question of the wrasses, eels usually grab narrow bodied fish first, whilst wrasses are a rather fast fish they may still be at risk of being picked off as the eel grows. With the wrasses if you don’t plan on coral you can always go for something from one of the genus Scarus (These are Parrotfish however they’re part of the same family). These will gnaw on coral to eat the Algae and other microorganisms living on or in the coral skeleton. I’d recommend Scarus quoyi as these are the most common and I believe the smallest of this genus.

With the angels, don’t go for a regular old Dwarf unless you really want one. I agree with the above, Go for one from the genus Genicanthus! This is the most reefsafe genus of angels that is much less likely to eat coral. I need a more recent photo of my Genicanthus melanospilos, however here’s an older photo :)
41E3DA59-2C7A-4504-920D-40FD1432BA10.jpeg
That's a nice fish, how big do they get, and you said they go good with tangs and eels right?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back