140 gallon stocking

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 140 gallon being delivered this week or next depending on what my LFS says and I want thoughts on these fish. I will be doing more research on them as the week goes on but these were the ones that my wife and I liked.

Lyretail Anthias (not sure on the stocking on these comments would be helpful)
Diamond Goby
Foxface
Atlantic Blue Tang
Two spot bristletooth
Yellow Eye spotted kole
Blue throat
Powder Blue Tang
Purple Tang

I currently have 2 clowns and a melanarus as well.

That's not to say I want all of these together. Input would be greatly appreciated on compatibility of these fish. (it will be a mixed reef)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot of tangs. There could be some aggression. My kole is mean. Yellow tangs I find are more mild mannered.

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay well i expected some not working well with others. I just like the way these look, if they wouldn't work with the stocking the obviously i would switch them out

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna go over your selections individually:

1. Lyretail Anthias- I’d do a trio and no more. I think that’s their natural social structure. Get 3 smaller females or 1 larger and 2 smaller and hope the larger one turns into a male.

2. Diamond Goby- Some people keep them just fine but many die from starvation once the food in the sand bed runs out. Perhaps a Shrimp and Goby pair instead? (They can be more cryptic)

3. Foxface- I’d say the length and width of your tank makes it borderline but long term I’d be more comfortable with a 5-6’ tank and as the largest fish. That’s me though.

4. Atlantic Blue Tang- They get large, are prone to disease, and don’t always do that well.

5. Two Spot Bristletooth, Kole Tang- I wouldn’t do two Bristletooths in your tank. Pick the one you like more.

6. Blue Throat Trigger- Probably not the best idea for your tank, they’re another fish that IMO really do best long term in a 6-7’ tank.

7. Powder Blue Tang- They’re prone to disease more so than some other Tangs, love to swim, are always found in large shoals in the wild, and can get aggressive. IMO long term they need at least a 6-7’ tank.

8. Purple Tang- My choice would be a Biota Yellow Tang or maybe a Scopas (the yellow ones look nicer) for your tank’s dimensions. If you really want a Purple add one small and I’d probably add it after the others.

I’d be very keen on some dwarf angels for your tank. Actually instead of the Shrimp and Goby pair, I’d probably add two small Flame or Longnose Hawks and hope they make a pair lol. Also some wrasses like the smaller Fairy Wrasses and the smaller Halichoeres and Leopard Wrasses if you’re up for the difficulty. Basslets, Grammas, Marine Betta if you don’t mind a shy fish that you might not see all the time but I wouldn’t have a Betta in a very boisterous tank.

OP
OP
thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, awesome thanks!

So what if i did the anthias 1 male 2 female, a Scopas, kole/bristle (gotta decide), my 2 clown and melly. Id also be down for adding some hawks, i've had a few and they had a ton of personality.

Also was curious about a gem tang, my lfs has been trying to get me to buy one as a centerpiece for my tank. I assume since the other larger ones would be a no with a 4 ft tank that the gem would be like this as well? ( i only ask bc the owner told me i could have it for under $300)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 140 gallon being delivered this week or next depending on what my LFS says and I want thoughts on these fish. I will be doing more research on them as the week goes on but these were the ones that my wife and I liked.

Lyretail Anthias (not sure on the stocking on these comments would be helpful)
Diamond Goby
Foxface
Atlantic Blue Tang
Two spot bristletooth
Yellow Eye spotted kole
Blue throat
Powder Blue Tang
Purple Tang

I currently have 2 clowns and a melanarus as well.

That's not to say I want all of these together. Input would be greatly appreciated on compatibility of these fish. (it will be a mixed reef)
I recommend taking off some of the tangs and going with other wrasse (If you like them that is) they have just as much personality and colour and stay around 6”. One of the two bristletooth tangs, one Acanthurus tang and one Zebrasoma tang should be enough however, the Foxfaces do better jobs than Zebrasoma tangs and yellow and purple tangs are VERY pricey now whereas you could get a fox for like half the price.
Forget the Zebrasoma and Acanthurus tangs if it’s a 4’ tank they won’t fit (A yellow if you pushed it may fit).
I honestly think the two spot bristletooth tangs do a better job than a regular kole (I have the two spot with a Foxface and algae has only shown once, that was before I got those two)

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d probably add two small Flame or Longnose Hawks and hope they make a pair lol. Also some wrasses like the smaller Fairy Wrasses and the smaller Halichoeres and Leopard Wrasses if you’re up for the difficulty.
Actually, almost any of the fairy wrasse, halichoeres wrasses and Leopard wrasse will fit into a 4’ tank, if you do the flame Angel route, either get them already paired or get a male and two females (There’s threads on how to sex them but over all look at how pointy the fins are, if they’re rounded it’s a female but if they’re pointy it’s a male)
Wrasse to avoid at all costs are:
- Scott’s fairy wrasse (I really am against a wrasse I own with no issues arent I-)
- Jade wrasse (Another one I own in a 4’ tank with a slight issue-)
- Thalassoma wrasse

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back