14g biocube reef build!

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos coming soon... here's some of my inspiration :)
Up2no6oods-Coralife-Biocube-29-Gallon.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how this is coming along. I am a new saltwater tanker and I have just recently purchased a 14 biocube and in the cycling process. Finally added my live rocks today. How long until you added corals, and have you added your fish yet? If so, how are they doing?

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how this is coming along. I am a new saltwater tanker and I have just recently purchased a 14 biocube and in the cycling process. Finally added my live rocks today. How long until you added corals, and have you added your fish yet? If so, how are they doing?

First off, Welcome to the hobby! :) and currently i am 15 days in and my levels are reading Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0.25 Nitrate 10. My cycle is just about done, i recommend adding corals around the 2 month mark, patience is key and you want your water parameters stable and you dKH and calc to be just right. Tomorrow I am adding my cleanup crew, for algae, excess nutrients etc. I will surely keep you posted, if u have any further questions im here all day! :)

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for tip! I just bought test strips yesterday so I will be testing around Sunday once my live rock and conditioner has had time to settle and cycle. I am only a week into this and have really had to learn patience. So I noticed that you have a shrimp, when did you add it and why?

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for tip! I just bought test strips yesterday so I will be testing around Sunday once my live rock and conditioner has had time to settle and cycle. I am only a week into this and have really had to learn patience. So I noticed that you have a shrimp, when did you add it and why?

Well, I decided to go the old fashion way because it was the simplest lol! I added it in my tank on day 1, with my rock, let it sit for 3 days (i have been testing everyday) take it out, and let the cycle do its thing. (i have live sand so thats how my cycle started). Test strips are not very accurate unfortunately :( so i use the API test kit, but you can buy them in single bottles

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS guy (known as the fish guy of my town) has walked me through it so he suggested I got my water to 1.026 until I added rock. I used black Hawaiian live sand with sea pure and some of his ro water to get the specific gravity he suggested, then I added some live rock he had with algae growth on it and a live rock with no growth. So hope that I am going in the right direction. I know the water hasn't settled yet, but this is sort of what I got going on, I think I'm going to add a Belize branch in right corner.

IMG_3086.JPG

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS guy (known as the fish guy of my town) has walked me through it so he suggested I got my water to 1.026 until I added rock. I used black Hawaiian live sand with sea pure and some of his ro water to get the specific gravity he suggested, then I added some live rock he had with algae growth on it and a live rock with no growth. So hope that I am going in the right direction. I know the water hasn't settled yet, but this is sort of what I got going on, I think I'm going to add a Belize branch in right corner.

IMG_3086.JPG

It looks good! One tip that is a must during cycling is: Don't mess around with water parameters! meaning don't add kalkwasser or ph additives, just do your tests and let it be :)

kasik64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will keep that in mind, what about bio spira? I am thinking about adding it to my tank, just not sure if I can add the whole bottle or not.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back