15$ torch? Coral ID

TKCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure that is a galaxea coral. I have several different types in my tank and a few of them look exactly like the one you have. It is a fast grower but you will need to watch out for their sweeper tentacles.

TKCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the easiest way to tell what type of coral it is, would be to take a flashlight at night and see if there is any sweepers from that coral. Torches don't have sweepers from my experience at least.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a galaxea. I saw a frag identical to this (literally identical, same price even) at a lfs a couple weeks ago (maybe it’s the same one, in Boise?), and at first glance I thought it was maybe a baby torch, but after looking at it more closely, it was clearly a galaxea. I would make sure to give it some room, those tiny little heads can have up to 2” sweepers that will melt most other corals.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a galaxea. I saw a frag identical to this (literally identical, same price even) at a lfs a couple weeks ago (maybe it’s the same one, in Boise?), and at first glance I thought it was maybe a baby torch, but after looking at it more closely, it was clearly a galaxea. I would make sure to give it some room, those tiny little heads can have up to 2” sweepers that will melt most other corals.
I guarantee it’s the same one

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for pitching in. Looks like it’s a Galaxia. Where the urchin dropped it, it has plenty of room aside from a BTA’s tentacles. Can’t wait for this thing to take off. It’ll be a good addition to the tank

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is an interesting read here. That sucks they sold it as a torch. I couldn't make out the skeleton at the top. If they have plates, not a real torch.
Galaxia are spiny

galaxia.jpg

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for pitching in. Looks like it’s a Galaxia. Where the urchin dropped it, it has plenty of room aside from a BTA’s tentacles. Can’t wait for this thing to take off. It’ll be a good addition to the tank
I have a galaxia colony that I bought for a $40 just $25 more than yours but it has a ton of eyes on it. I would definitely bring this up to your lfs and get a refund or some type of credit. Galaxias are significantly cheaper than torches

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an interesting read here. That sucks they sold it as a torch. I couldn't make out the skeleton at the top. If they have plates, not a real torch.
Galaxia are spiny

galaxia.jpg
It was never advertised as a torch. There wasn’t any labeling on it. That’s just something I assumed.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a galaxia colony that I bought for a $40 just $25 more than yours but it has a ton of eyes on it. I would definitely bring this up to your lfs and get a refund or some type of credit. Galaxias are significantly cheaper than torches
I’m sorry for being misleading, I just kind of assumed it was a torch. I don’t plan on bringing it back or asking for a refund. I actually almost like it more. I got $5 off on it so for $10 I don’t mind at all

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s kinda crazy! Small world, I’m also in Nampa.
Small world indeed!! That’s crazy. I recently moved back to the area. Transporting my tank 8 hours from Oregon was definitely scary but there weren’t any casualties

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Galaxia are spiny

galaxia.jpg
I have some galaxia in my other tank. I’ll have to take a good look and see what kind of skeleton it has but I am almost certain it’s galaxia. Wasn’t labeled at the store

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It most likely is, sadly. I can't see it up close to compare, skeleton growth is strange for any kind of torch. But fits galaxaia.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? So you think at $15 that would have been adequately priced for a torch?

Unique corals ships torches with these micro heads All the time. Purple torch with green tips on their site right now. $189.

No. That price is fine for a galaxia. If there's any complaint it's not on price, it's the fact that they sold it as a torch when it's not.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? So you think at $15 that would have been adequately priced for a torch?

Unique corals ships torches with these micro heads All the time. Purple torch with green tips on their site right now. $189.

No. That price is fine for a galaxia. If there's any complaint it's not on price, it's the fact that they sold it as a torch when it's not.
And I’ve tried to clarify that the lfs definitely did not sell it as a torch. It was not labled at all. Personally I have no problem with it. It looks healthy and for the $10 I ended up paying I’m not complaining at all

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It most likely is, sadly. I can't see it up close to compare, skeleton growth is strange for any kind of torch. But fits galaxaia.
It’s totally okay, I like the coral actually. I’m excited for it because they grow quicker than torches from what I hear.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back