Status
Not open for further replies.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to stop the salt creep, you had to remove half of the synergy reef overflow and replace it with a third-party external box? That also happens to be taller, and therefore has the extra bonus of being able to be run completely ‘weir drop’ free and silent.

This new external box DOESNT get salt creep? I’m confused [emoji848]I thought they all had ‘issues’ like this?

Is it because the box is eurobraced and doesn’t warp, so the lid actually fits once it’s got water in it?

[emoji52][emoji52][emoji52]

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the original back box the water was 1/2 inch below the lid so when the water came splashing in water as it does would get shot up in the air my tanning bed of lights would then dry out the water and leave the salt behind (one salt creep that was left behind looked like Jesus was going to sell it to recoup some money but it fell apart)

With this new revolutionary back box fix the water line is 1.5 inches away from the top hole of the box
E83F6FAB-1789-4636-A50D-FED7F762E857.jpeg

But since both bulkheads are under water and the front box is the same height as the back box
2358E78B-2E0F-424B-8813-D5324E4B8E42.jpeg

there is way less turblance to splash water up also as an added bonus because the water isn’t falling down the bulkheads and then dropping down the primary drain the unbearable noise no longer exist either

Double bonus and by far the best fix to both of the major problems with this overflow box

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to stop the salt creep, you had to remove half of the synergy reef overflow and replace it with a third-party external box? That also happens to be taller, and therefore has the extra bonus of being able to be run completely ‘weir drop’ free and silent.

This new external box DOESNT get salt creep? I’m confused [emoji848]I thought they all had ‘issues’ like this?

Is it because the box is eurobraced and doesn’t warp, so the lid actually fits once it’s got water in it?

See last post for a picture detailed answer

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me no understand.
In synergy overflows that i’v installed the through the tank bulkheads are not under water. Only about a third under, maybe less.
Suspect your plumbing in outside box is too hi.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me no understand.
In synergy overflows that i’v installed the through the tank bulkheads are not under water. Only about a third under, maybe less.
This has nothing to do with salt creep but I will take a guestamite u have a pump rated for 2000 gallons but after you plumbed it down to 3/4 and with all of your restrictions you are only truly getting around 300 gallons an hour out of your pump which this overflow can handle

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again this thread is about salt creep. Do you have any input on that? If not let’s please get this thread back on topic.
Yes I do, it's included in the overall claims made above. Synergy claims it is a user error, based on their accounts posts on this very site, and it most certainly is not user error if those same users wish to retain the other qualities claimed by Synergy, like redundant drains, etc. The solution is detailed in images above. Replacement of the overflow. Otherwise, one can put some adhesive or something else that's a bad idea on the rim and try to solve the problem. Do you think it is reasonable to give up access to the internals of the overflow outer box to solve salt creep?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has nothing to do with salt creep but I will take a guestamite u have a pump rated for 2000 gallons but after you plumbed it down to 3/4 and with all of your restrictions you are only truly getting around 300 gallons an hour out of your pump which this overflow can handle
Well would say good guess but not even close. Doing around 1100 gph on my 220 as measured
My installed boxes also have no salt creep. Maybe because plumbing inside box, therefore water level is lower/ further away from lid.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me no understand.

Lol - if the bulkhead holes are only 1/3rd under water, you are running your water level WAY UNDER the 0.5” below the top of the outer box that Synergy themselves recommends to keep it silent.

I just measured- water level at 1/3rd of bulkhead holes is a ‘weir drop’ of 5.25”... — coincidently, the exact same as my system right now, that I was criticized for having set up incorrectly above— and I 100% guarantee you that yours isn’t running quiet.

Because I can hear mine from my master bedroom 40 ft away.

Red is water level in rear box, green is the bottom of bulkhead holes
c992928d3e6dfab772d9f638032d2164.jpg

Yellow is the weir drop

7ffd2e9b7d0344f7212889eb11c9fa4e.jpg

If you run your water level 0.5” below the top of the outer box as recommended by synergy— in order to eliminate all noise from weir drop— the bulkhead holes are entirely submerged since they are 1” below the top of the outer box.

This also puts your BA emergency line too close to the top of the box to purge correctly at higher flow rates

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol - if the bulkhead holes are only 1/3rd under water, you are running your water level WAY UNDER the 0.5” below the top of the outer box that Synergy themselves recommends to keep it silent.

I just measured- water level at 1/3rd of bulkhead holes is a ‘weir drop’ of 5.25”... — coincidently, the exact same as my system right now, that I was criticized for having set up incorrectly above— and I 100% guarantee you that yours isn’t running quiet.

Because I can hear mine from my master bedroom 40 ft away.

Red is water level in rear box, green is the bottom of bulkhead holes
c992928d3e6dfab772d9f638032d2164.jpg

Yellow is the weir drop

7ffd2e9b7d0344f7212889eb11c9fa4e.jpg

If you run your water level 0.5” below the top of the outer box as recommended by synergy— in order to eliminate all noise from weir drop— the bulkhead holes are entirely submerged since they are 1” below the top of the outer box.

This also puts your BA emergency line too close to the top of the box to purge correctly at higher flow rates
@kschweer Does this suffice as on topic?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well would say good guess but not even close. Doing around 1100 gph on my 220 as measured
My installed boxes also have no salt creep. Maybe because plumbing inside box, therefore water level is lower/ further away from lid.

That’s great.

But you are lying if you tell us it’s silent in that configuration.

Because I’m running mine at the same water level you described, at 830 gph, and it’s like someone running a faucet.

And frankly, unless you show us video of this totally silent 5.25” weir drop at 1100 gph, I’m going to think you’re obfuscating on purpose

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Show me. I’m not being a smart a.... I just want to see. I had 850gph, per Neptune Apex and the FMM, but I believe @justingraham was told the FMM and flow meters are not even close to being accurate. 850gph pipes in the rear box were raised to submerge the bulk heads, per @mixer911, and still noise! Not only noise but salt creep

Here’s shortly after I took it off the tank and shortly before it went in the trash.
56269597574__A02470C2-6766-4F1F-AAD6-09730CD6E71D.JPG

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me. I’m not being a smart a.... I just want to see. I had 850gph, per Neptune Apex and the FMM, but I believe @justingraham was told the FMM and flow meters are not even close to being accurate. 850gph pipes in the rear box were raised to submerge the bulk heads, per @mixer911, and still noise! Not only noise but salt creep

Here’s shortly after I took it off the tank and shortly before it went in the trash.
56269597574__A02470C2-6766-4F1F-AAD6-09730CD6E71D.JPG

Why’d you crop it bro?!! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back