Status
Not open for further replies.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’v got issues! And so does your overflow. Coincidence?

Never saw or heard of you before. Now you’re arguing with me on another thread.
Coincidence ?

Would have to agree with reef synergy on this one, that it must be installer /plumbing related error. Because it not like playing horseshoes. It doesn’t almost work. If you are within gph it is intended for, and it is installed and plumbed correctly, it works.

OMG. You never quit. It’s not installation error. It doesn’t work as intended .

I actually went looking for your build thread - seebif I could glean where I made the mistake in installation. Maybe use your plumbing as a starting point sincevyou have 1100 gph/ 3.5” drop and it’s silent. Maybe I could learn something.

But guess what- you don’t have a build thread. All I found was posts of bad QT advice and other BS. One of those was only 10 hours old, so I figured I could weigh in with REAL advice that wouldn’t lead to a dead tank.

I felt compelled when you suggested he be ok to run prazipro to kill ich and velvet (potentially) on a wrasse...

I’ll do my best to counter crappy advice whenever I see it. Probably not a coincidence it was you, since you seem to be full of crappy advice and bs

I won’t be blocking you- because I want to know when you talk crap so I can help fix it. But I won’t be answering to any more of your belligerent, confrontational posts

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a dog in this fight but as a person that fabricated custom aquariums for more than 25 years I can tell you you can't please everyone. We all do the best we can but in the end we are all flawed humans. To those who have never designed, packaged, and sold a product nationally or internationally you have no idea how an end user can change the rules of the game and blame you for all sorts of evil. Try to show a little compassion for someone who tried to develop something they thought would solve some problems for many consumers but could not satisfy everyone. They tried to save the customer money...an often fatal mistake.

It is very difficult to test for all user possibilites, purchase the tooling, and lock yourself into a very expensive mold injection design to have someone attack you as evil or a liar. In this case I believe none of that applies. Again to the vocal critics we get it you are not satisfied but is it necessary to try to paint someone with a broad brush that may have not intended anything but the best good in the first place. The desire to mold inject is to provide a lower cost part for more people to afford in the long run. This may run at cross purposes with someone who wants to run an item at the upper end of its design parameters. We often encounter problems when we depend on engineers that have little understanding of the end user. This is very easy to see when working up a design for mold injection. Until you have explored the process you have no idea of the limitations and communication difficulties.

Just saying I understand the product did not work for you but it seems to have worked for many. I could destroy a brand new Porsche within minutes if I ran it to the upper end of its design parameters. That does not mean the designer was evil because I ran to close to the bleeding edge.

In the spirit of the season how about a little compassion and understanding?

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’v got issues! And so does your overflow. Coincidence?

Never saw or heard of you before. Now you’re arguing with me on another thread.
Coincidence ?

Would have to agree with reef synergy on this one, that it must be installer /plumbing related error. Because it not like playing horseshoes. It doesn’t almost work. If you are within gph it is intended for, and it is installed and plumbed correctly, it works.

OMG. You never quit. It’s not installation error. It doesn’t work as intended .

I felt compelled when you suggested someone be ok to run prazipro to kill ich and velvet (potentially) on a wrasse...

I’ll do my best to counter crappy advice whenever I see it. Probably not a coincidence it was you, since you seem to be full of crappy advice and crap

We have let a bit go in this thread but we will not tolerate personal attacks or an argument such as this. Any further issues like these will result in thread bans.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@theMeat still waiting on this video bud. Feel free to PM me and I’ll give you my email address.
Will do when I find the time. Not on my list of priorities for today. Thanks for your offer of assistance. Might take you up on that

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a dog in this fight but as a person that fabricated custom aquariums for more than 25 years I can tell you you can't please everyone. We all do the best we can but in the end we are all flawed humans.

I don’t expect Reef Synergy or @mixer911 to be perfect. But I, or many others, can’t always be the blame for their product not working as advertised. It seems in this case it’s the customer that’s expected to be perfect.

To those who have never designed, packaged, and sold a product nationally or internationally you have no idea how an end user can change the rules of the game and blame you for all sorts of evil. Try to show a little compassion for someone who tried to develop something they thought would solve some problems for many consumers but could not satisfy everyone. They tried to save the customer money...an often fatal mistake.

Here’s the deal. I recently ordered a custom aquarium and the builder screwed up on hole placement. Instead of blaming me for providing them incorrect templates or saying I should have used their overflow, they offered to replace the aquarium, give me a refund or pay for custom worked overflow to fit the mistakenly drilled holes. I’d imagine this mistake happens less frequently than this over flow makes noise. My point is, The tank builder didn’t blame me! I had three options to exercise all of which would have corrected the issue.

It is very difficult to test for all user possibilites, purchase the tooling, and lock yourself into a very expensive mold injection design to have someone attack you as evil or a liar. In this case I believe none of that applies. Again to the vocal critics we get it you are not satisfied but is it necessary to try to paint someone with a broad brush that may have not intended anything but the best good in the first place. The desire to mold inject is to provide a lower cost part for more people to afford in the long run. This may run at cross purposes with someone who wants to run an item at the upper end of its design parameters. We often encounter problems when we depend on engineers that have little understanding of the end user. This is very easy to see when working up a design for mold injection. Until you have explored the process you have no idea of the limitations and communication difficulties.

Evil, no. Liar, not intentionally no. Unprofessional? Absolutely! This thread is, as off topic as it has become, proof of this. Even here, a Reef Synergy rep engages in insults. He has every right to defend his product but should probably provide some instruction and proof how he’s doing it. Instead, the user gets bashed.

Just saying I understand the product did not work for you but it seems to have worked for many. I could destroy a brand new Porsche within minutes if I ran it to the upper end of its design parameters. That does not mean the designer was evil because I ran to close to the bleeding edge.

No you couldn’t [emoji6] but regardless, you’d have a warranty. And a replacement Porsche. The difference here is, you didn’t modify the Porsche so it only fits one particular engine. That’s the problem here. This overflow requires modification that is irreversible and without proper support from the manufacturer it seems like the user is stuck with something audibly unbearable and visually unappealing

In the spirit of the season how about a little compassion and understanding?

I appreciate your sentiment and this will be my last post on this thread. However, due to a lack of a real solution, ie: replacement, refund, proper support or instruction, I find it hard to be sympathetic. See my example at the beginning of this post how a customer oriented company handles mistakes.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do when I find the time. Not on my list of priorities for today. Thanks for your offer of assistance. Might take you up on that

Your passive aggressive reply is noted. Please do take me up on that so we can put this to bed.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your passive aggressive reply is noted. Please do take me up on that so we can put this to bed.
I simply said thank you for offering help. Will not take a turn at responding to another personal attach.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy. I’ll take this to mean you will not be contacting me to support your claim. Okay I’m done here. Ciao!
Not what I said. What I did say was I will try to post a vid, and if I need your help I appreciate your offer.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I had to check the title bar to make sure I was on the correct reef forum website.

I don't disagree with stating a negative opinion or experience, but some of the posters here are coming off as if they have a vendetta. It's overboard. It's one thing to make your point but another to beat it to death on every comment. And I'm not even in disagreement with the assessment of some of the issues of the product.

I started watching this thread because I have the same salt creep issue. Un-watching because it's become way too out of line with the type of discussions we typically have here on R2R and is no longer productive or helpful.

Best wishes and good luck to all having an issue and the manufacturer - hope there is a solution that ultimately can be found.

Last edited:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I had to check the title bar to make sure I was on the correct reef forum website.

I don't disagree with stating a negative opinion or experience, but some of the posters here are coming off as if they have a vendetta. It's overboard. It's one thing to make your point but another to beat it to death on every comment. And I'm not even in disagreement with the assessment some of the issues of the product.

I started watching this thread because I have the same salt creep issue. Un-watching because it's become way too out of line with the type of discussions we typically have here on R2R and is no longer productive or helpful.

Best wishes and good luck to all having an issue and the manufacturer - hope there is a solution that ultimately can be found.

Far as salt creep
Maybe lower the water level in outside box with valve will help. If you lower it too much than water falls further into outside box and that could be a source of noise.
Which leads me to the other thing i’m thinking is make the water in outside box higher, if the water is falling too far and causing splashing

Last edited by a moderator:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dubs83,

I accept that you have had problems with both Synergy and now a custom tank builder. Perhaps your communication style could use an update or you may need to resort to building your own...I did and that is how I learned about being on the other side of a customer service dispute. LOL.

That said I agree with you that I would have refunded your purchase or provided a new tank or overflow. That is how I would want to be treated. I would not follow the company around social media and raise my blood pressure trying to make them suffer. In the end that would only damage and diminish me.

I have owned several Porsche cars and yes in the wrong hands they can get out of sorts in a hurry. The older ones in particular are drivers cars. That is why there are offers of drivers training at some facilities to make sure you understand the limits of your ability and the car.

Wish you well in all your future endeavors!

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dubs83,

I accept that you have had problems with both Synergy and now a custom tank builder. Perhaps your communication style could use an update or you may need to resort to building your own...I did and that is how I learned about being on the other side of a customer service dispute. LOL.

That said I agree with you that I would have refunded your purchase or provided a new tank or overflow. That is how I would want to be treated. I would not follow the company around social media and raise my blood pressure trying to make them suffer. In the end that would only damage and diminish me.

I have owned several Porsche cars and yes in the wrong hands they can get out of sorts in a hurry. The older ones in particular are drivers cars. That is why there are offers of drivers training at some facilities to make sure you understand the limits of your ability and the car.

Wish you well in all your future endeavors!

I don’t look at it as having a problem with both Reef Synergy and a custom tank builder. The tank builder expeditiously corrected a mistake without as much as hinting that it was my fault. In return, they’ve gained a customer for the remainder of my time in the hobby. I do, regularly, praise the tank builder and recommend them to anyone asking for an opinion because of the way they handled a potentially unhappy customer.

I do not seek out these threads... they seem to find me as I’m mentioned quite a bit in them. Believe me, I do not wish to raise my blood pressure either but I don’t see anything wrong in asking to see how this was plumbed or how much water is passing through it. If you follow me build threads, you will see I regularly admit that I’m far from perfect and continue to doubt my opinion because other people have had success. But the only measure I have is the lack of praise outside of a select few.

For what it’s worth, I no longer care about this as I have the means to simply toss it and get something new. I do care that someone who may possibly not be as fortunate as I to save their hard earned money for a tank, then drill it for this overflow and to then be met with a slew of issues and no one to take responsibility for it. That’s what gets me fired up. Having said that, you’re right. I’ll stick to posting about my sick fish [emoji6]

Which Porsche, sir? A good friend of mine races a Martini 935. Awesome car!

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to assist you with your issue and you are basically telling me that I do not know my product or how it works. There is no poor engineering with these overflows, they work perfectly fine when our instructions are followed. FYI there is no perfect overflow out there. There are way too many configurations to say that one is perfect. Send me a link to one and I will personally test it and show you many flaws.
So can you send us all some spline? Never got a response from yall.

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 hello, I installed my shadow overflow. Overall I’m happy with this but my issue is the water flowing into the teeth and there’s a running water sound in the overflow box. Can you please confirm if the height of the water should be adjusted with the gate valve? If so how much more?

6BE4B964-6643-43FF-A64B-FB1C5E641808.jpeg

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 hello, I installed my shadow overflow. Overall I’m happy with this but my issue is the water flowing into the teeth and there’s a running water sound in the overflow box. Can you please confirm if the height of the water should be adjusted with the gate valve? If so how much more?

6BE4B964-6643-43FF-A64B-FB1C5E641808.jpeg
Are those pipes cut to the lengths in the instructions? If so with the water running like that I would expect it to e loud. I keep going back and forth on if I should send mine back.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those pipes cut to the lengths in the instructions? If so with the water running like that I would expect it to e loud. I keep going back and forth on if I should send mine back.

Make sure you don’t run out of time for that return period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back