Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 hello, I installed my shadow overflow. Overall I’m happy with this but my issue is the water flowing into the teeth and there’s a running water sound in the overflow box. Can you please confirm if the height of the water should be adjusted with the gate valve? If so how much more?

6BE4B964-6643-43FF-A64B-FB1C5E641808.jpeg

Since you haven’t gotten a response from a company rep, I will attempt to help.

From my understanding, the height of the water needs to adjusted using your secondary drain, not using your gate valve. You want the water to rise in the rear box so that both bulkheads are covered. If you close your gate valve more, water will rise but will eventually stop rising because the secondary drain takes over. If you raise the water using your gate valve to the point where the secondary drain is submerged, it will become a full siphon drain, no longer functioning the way it was intended. The only way to raise water, and keep the original intent of the beananimal set up, is make your secondary drain higher. In my experience, when I got the drain high enough to submerge both bulkheads, the U pipe was too high to install the cover on the rear box. Nor was I comfortable with how close the water level was to the top of the rear box.

Anyway, none of this worked for me but it’s my understanding of how to “fix” your noisy over flow problem. Good luck, I truly hope it works out for you. Keep us posted please.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 hello, I installed my shadow overflow. Overall I’m happy with this but my issue is the water flowing into the teeth and there’s a running water sound in the overflow box. Can you please confirm if the height of the water should be adjusted with the gate valve? If so how much more?

Shouldn't one of those pipes be fully submerged?

skihard1234Anth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. This has been fun reading. I was able to fix my salt creep problem using the advice to cut off 2nd siphon and raise the water level in the box. I’m still laughing about the “magic box” comment.

The great news is that I have solved my salt creep issue. Unfortunately I still have a bit of a waterfall sound-it sort of sounds like the dishwasher draining. Any recommendations for addressing this or should I put up an entirely different post? And for now I’m going to dance with who I brung-not buying another overflow yet. :)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. This has been fun reading. I was able to fix my salt creep problem using the advice to cut off 2nd siphon and raise the water level in the box. I’m still laughing about the “magic box” comment.

The great news is that I have solved my salt creep issue. Unfortunately I still have a bit of a waterfall sound-it sort of sounds like the dishwasher draining. Any recommendations for addressing this or should I put up an entirely different post? And for now I’m going to dance with who I brung-not buying another overflow yet. :)

It is definitely an interesting thread, lol. Best of luck getting it to quiet down

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine works fantastic. 850ghp, without a sound. My MP40 and MP10, and fans on my radions are all louder. The overflow is actually the quietest part of my system.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Increase height of your secondary line, such that the water coming into the outside box isn't falling down like that. You want it flowing horizontally, not dropping. Notice in the pic below that the water line (in both inner and outer boxes) is within the confines of the bulkhead holes. You can actually have it higher than the holes if you want, but not below or you will increase the odds of noise. If you're running really high flow, above the holes may be best. I run 850gph and it's set up like below....silently.

Capture2.JPG

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the larger shadow on my 425 gallon. My return pump is flow around 2200gph. I have been able to get the overflow silent, however it has crazy salt creep around the lid.

I’ll try to raise the water level just above the bulk head holes to reduce the splashing in the box.

At my flow rate there is very little room for error before it overflows the outer box!

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I am not using the u-tubes, will these make a difference for salt creep?

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase height of your secondary line, such that the water coming into the outside box isn't falling down like that. You want it flowing horizontally, not dropping. Notice in the pic below that the water line (in both inner and outer boxes) is within the confines of the bulkhead holes. You can actually have it higher than the holes if you want, but not below or you will increase the odds of noise. If you're running really high flow, above the holes may be best. I run 850gph and it's set up like below....silently.

Capture2.JPG

This contradicts what Synergy Reef has recommended since the overflow has been on the market. They have recommended to me, multiple times, to keep the bulkheads completely submerged.

If your water level is at the very top of the U pipes, it will suck air down through the hole at the top of the U pipe.... just saying. Ask me how I know! I myself wasn’t brave enough to raise the water level high enough to submerge the bulkhead and ran it exactly like the picture you posted... not only was it audible through out my entire 5000sq foot home, but deposited a ton of salt creep behind the tank.

I did raise the water level in the rear box once... it did quiet down but I was unable to put the cover on because the secondary drain U pipe prevented the cover to mount properly.

....my experience.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This contradicts what Synergy Reef has recommended since the overflow has been on the market. They have recommended to me, multiple times, to keep the bulkheads completely submerged.

If your water level is at the very top of the U pipes, it will suck air down through the hole at the top of the U pipe.... just saying. Ask me how I know! I myself wasn’t brave enough to raise the water level high enough to submerge the bulkhead and ran it exactly like the picture you posted... not only was it audible through out my entire 5000sq foot home, but deposited a ton of salt creep behind the tank.

I did raise the water level in the rear box once... it did quiet down but I was unable to put the cover on because the secondary drain U pipe prevented the cover to mount properly.

....my experience.
You have argued with everything they have said also. I was trying to help somebody else that had asked a question. I was actually not trying to give you advice as you made it very clear that you were not interested in help.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have argued with everything they have said also. I was trying to help somebody else that had asked a question. I was actually not trying to give you advice as you made it very clear that you were not interested in help.

On the contrary, I’ve asked and entertained their help and your help. I’ve asked for photos of your set up so I could mimic what you’re doing and apply it to my set up. I expressed my genuine interest to find out what your flow was, before you had a FMK, so I could narrow down the issue. I even admit that I’m not ruling out user error. I urge you to go ahead and reread the thread you started on this very topic

I stopped looking for help once I started asking the general forum for advice and was berated and labeled as a newb who didn’t know what he was doing by the business that sold me the over flow.

Anyway, it doesn’t change the fact that your post and picture directly contradicts what Reef synergy has recommended. And your emotional response makes me wonder what dog you have in this race. Hmmmmm.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like every post you make is combative in one way or the other. Why can you not just ask questions and leave out the insults implications? It really doesn't matter at all to me what advice you were given by synergy. I'm not here to argue what they told you and whether or not it is right. I'm in no way responsible for what they say to do, nor do I decide what advice they give people, so why do you continue to act as if I'm wrong if I say something that they didn't, yet at the same time you argue that their advice is bad. You upset over and over you think that their advice is incorrect, yet you say I contradict their advice and want to argue that I am wrong for it. You make no sense at all and I'm tired of beating a dead horse with you. Please, just stop. I want nothing to do with your drama.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like every post you make is combative in one way or the other. Why can you not just ask questions and leave out the insults implications? It really doesn't matter at all to me what advice you were given by synergy. I'm not here to argue what they told you and whether or not it is right. I'm in no way responsible for what they say to do, nor do I decide what advice they give people, so why do you continue to act as if I'm wrong if I say something that they didn't, yet at the same time you argue that their advice is bad. You upset over and over you think that their advice is incorrect, yet you say I contradict their advice and want to argue that I am wrong for it. You make no sense at all and I'm tired of beating a dead horse with you. Please, just stop. I want nothing to do with your drama.

... I had a whole thing but I decided to brush you off instead. See ya buddy

Scooter.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my mixed reef tank in a house fire back in October 2018.
(Moving back in after reconstruction to be completed in mid March.)

I'm due to receive the larger overflow box in a few weeks along with
a custom built sump.
With reading all of this thread, it's making me 2nd guess my selection of
their overflow box.I read and heard good things of their box. I'm hoping for
the best. I'm excited to have this overflow box and sump. So far, Rick and
Vanessa have been very professional and in great communications with me.

I'll have to list my rebuild soon as well.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my mixed reef tank in a house fire back in October 2018.
(Moving back in after reconstruction to be completed in mid March.)

I'm due to receive the larger overflow box in a few weeks along with
a custom built sump.
With reading all of this thread, it's making me 2nd guess my selection of
their overflow box.I read and heard good things of their box. I'm hoping for
the best. I'm excited to have this overflow box and sump. So far, Rick and
Vanessa have been very professional and in great communications with me.

I'll have to list my rebuild soon as well.

I've noticed there are a couple people let's sing to follow this for on, constantly complaining about the overflow box. It looks as if they are unable to figure out how to set there's up properly, and are unwilling to accept or listen to any help. They appear more concerned with bashing a product that they simply cannot figure out. Problems with this are not widespread. They just make it look that way by incessantly posting.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the mess above. Voice to text did it and I cant edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back