16" Shadow overflow: Lid salt creep

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine all plumbed up, and have fresh water running through it for a test, so far so good. I cut the main drain pipe inside the box at 2 1/2", secondary at 3 1/2", and emergency pipe at 6". I am running about 700-800 gph through it, and it is silent. I did use the U tubes that came with it. The ball valve that I installed on the main drain pipe going into my sump is very useful to adjust the flow, and get it running properly. My bulkheads are less than half way submerged. The holes on top of the U tubes are important, I was told, to get a proper siphon. Your main drain should be almost a complete siphon, and the secondary should just be a "trickle". This is what I was told by a local reef store where I purchased it..and the overflow is working as intended. I cannot speak to the salt creep, as I have not had it running long enough . Hope this helps

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine all plumbed up, and have fresh water running through it for a test, so far so good. I cut the main drain pipe inside the box at 2 1/2", secondary at 3 1/2", and emergency pipe at 6". I am running about 700-800 gph through it, and it is silent. I did use the U tubes that came with it. The ball valve that I installed on the main drain pipe going into my sump is very useful to adjust the flow, and get it running properly. My bulkheads are less than half way submerged. The holes on top of the U tubes are important, I was told, to get a proper siphon. Your main drain should be almost a complete siphon, and the secondary should just be a "trickle". This is what I was told by a local reef store where I purchased it..and the overflow is working as intended. I cannot speak to the salt creep, as I have not had it running long enough . Hope this helps

this is about right . if you run 5 to 8 hounded gallons thru this box you should be fine .Mine says 3,000 gph rating on the box. It also says two weir and there is only one with a black marker used to try to hide the writing. I have had to put a rubber maid container on the floor under my external box to catch the dripping salt creep so it does not ruin the floor . If i lower the water flow down to less then 1/3rd of there claim I to could have NO SALT CREEP And a silent box.. This box should Have a 500 gph rating in my Honest opinion... Super popular online retailer Told me this is THE Box to use on my new Tank and its recommended up to 3k per hour.
Its a Salt CREEP FACTORY ..... But as everyone else i am told its MY Fault and the box has No Flaws because they have years of Experience and EXPERTISE Went into its design

Conclusion . For your tank and water volume this Box should work fine for you. Just make sure to keep the water level VERY High in the box and NEVER Run it with the lid off . The plastic is so thin it will warp without the top on it..

Good Luck

Scooter.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be hoping for the best once I have it mounted and running.
It is sickening to read these threads, luckily it's only from the very same few.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just wondering how many of you expected this overflow to not have salt creep, and why.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just wondering how many of you expected this overflow to not have salt creep, and why.

I did. But that’s because I didn’t expect the outer box to be too thin not to bow with the weight of the water in it, resulting in a poorly fitting lid.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s not something I considered since my standard tank Mounted overflow box didn’t create salt creep. Nor did my c2c beananimal, not my herbie... nor my beginner glassholes overflow.

But it surprised me that anyone expected this over flow to have that much salt creep... and then buy it.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the sake of keeping the debate a live, my new overflow has been running since mid November and I have yet to see any salt creep. Meaning more stability... but I’m also the idiot that can’t plumb an overflow so take this stability non sense with a grain of salt.... no pun intended.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problems are not widespread, but a decent company would have suggested some sort of fix of workaround rather than calling the users ‘too stupid to figure it out’ and ‘don’t understand plumbing’.

As for the fan boys-I’m done wasting breath on you, particularly when your experience of running a BA system led you to building this monstrosity. It even has a ball valve!!! And you criticize other people when you don’t understand the principles of the overflow system you claim to have mastered
I dont know who you are talking about, but mine works just fine.....with a ball valve. I got mine working fine, and you didn't....so you probably should stop trying to criticize me and my abilities. This overflow isn't quite rocket science. :)

Move along with your life. Sell the overflow to somebody that can use it properly. Move forward and seek happiness. Quit being a crybaby that seeks out threads to crash.

Last edited:

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know who you are talking about, but mine works just fine.....with a ball valve. I got mine working fine, and you didn't....so you probably should stop trying to criticize me and my abilities. This overflow isn't quite rocket science. :)

Move along with your life. Sell the overflow to somebody that can use it properly. Move forward and seek happiness. Quit being a crybaby that seeks out threads to crash.

I don’t recall whining but whatever you say. If, and only if, it makes you happy, I plan on using it in my frag tank. Perhaps you’ll offer some of your overflow expertise as to how I can avoid noise and salt creep. I’m all ears buddy.

Now to your question... I did t expect salt creep... did you? I’m genuinely curious if you purchased it knowing this thing deposits a ton of salt all over peoples floor

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t recall whining but whatever you say. If, and only if, it makes you happy, I plan on using it in my frag tank. Perhaps you’ll offer some of your overflow expertise as to how I can avoid noise and salt creep. I’m all ears buddy.

Now to your question... I did t expect salt creep... did you? I’m genuinely curious if you purchased it knowing this thing deposits a ton of salt all over peoples floor
I dont have a ton of salt creep on my floor. Perhaps you could tell me what I am doing wrong. Maybe it would be better without any lid, like many other overflows?

Btw, these sell pretty well used. Why not sell it? I dont use products I dont like. I find I am happier to get rid of them and buy something else. Money isnt everything. Spend some and be happy.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys should try the apex 2" flowmeter with the crappy BSP threads. Talk about salt creep....i wouldnt recommend putting them anywhere other than above a sump, so they can drip safely until the salt clogs up the leaks

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engloid, I see you are from Tn.

Are you affiliated with synergy reef in any way?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edited

Reason: didn’t think it worthwhile to engage Engloid directly, since I already have a 2.5yo throwing tantrums here at home

Last edited:

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did. But that’s because I didn’t expect the outer box to be too thin not to bow with the weight of the water in it, resulting in a poorly fitting lid.
Although it makes me a bit nervous that it bows some, the lid adds strength by holding it straight. If I were to redesign the box, I would make it thicker.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it makes me a bit nervous that it bows some, the lid adds strength by holding it straight. If I were to redesign the box, I would make it thicker.

I think I just had an aneurysm!!!

Am I reading this right? You would change something about this box you’ve been saying is flawless for the past couple weeks?

Even just not using the cheapest plastic you could find would be a step up.

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a ton of salt creep on my floor. Perhaps you could tell me what I am doing wrong. Maybe it would be better without any lid, like many other overflows?

Btw, these sell pretty well used. Why not sell it? I dont use products I dont like. I find I am happier to get rid of them and buy something else. Money isnt everything. Spend some and be happy.

Who am I to tell you what you’re doing wrong? You’ve redesigned the beananimal, don’t have noise at 8-900gph and have no salt creep. I, sir, am nothing but a mortal plagued with plumbing issues.

Well, I’m keeping it because my sump sits in the basement. I don’t necessarily care how much noise it makes down there. That and only plan on running it at 3-500gph. Don’t need anything fancy...

And you are absolutely right, money isn’t everything.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who am I to tell you what you’re doing wrong? You’ve redesigned the beananimal, don’t have noise at 8-900gph and have no salt creep. I, sir, am nothing but a mortal plagued with plumbing issues.

Well, I’m keeping it because my sump sits in the basement. I don’t necessarily care how much noise it makes down there. That and only plan on running it at 3-500gph. Don’t need anything fancy...

And you are absolutely right, money isn’t everything.

Wait, wait, wait!!!

He *redesigned* the bean animal?

Huh, you mean this travesty of plumbing engineering?

32b4ee1077ea02074a2e0bba1bb0f4db.jpg

That pic right there is why I stopped taking any of his comments regarding my plumbing seriously.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you have to have something to complain about. It would just be nice if you did it in private instead of make others join you in your misery. If I was synergy, I would buy it back just to get you to quit whining.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you have to have something to complain about. It would just be nice if you did it in private instead of make others join you in your misery. If I was synergy, I would buy it back just to get you to quit whining.

If I was synergy, I would have bought it back and apologized for falsely advertising its specs and calling me names in the forums and on email.

But you do you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back