Not open for further replies.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neilp2006,

As a fellow victim of this company I feel your pain. Countless users experience these same issues with no solutions or help from the manufacturer.

What you will get is blamed for user error, denial of responsibility from the manufacturer and personal attacks when you speak up. I think the humor justingraham saw in that post was in the ridiculous, predictable response from synergy, demonstrating my first two points

The only real solution is to cut your losses and replace the faulty product with one from a quality company. I went with EMS and the overflow worked perfectly right out of the box.

I am truly sorry you have joined the long list synergy reef victims.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neilp2006,

As a fellow victim of this company I feel your pain. Countless users experience these same issues with no solutions or help from the manufacturer.

What you will get is blamed for user error, denial of responsibility from the manufacturer and personal attacks when you speak up. I think the humor justingraham saw in that post was in the ridiculous, predictable response from synergy, demonstrating my first two points

The only real solution is to cut your losses and replace the faulty product with one from a quality company. I went with EMS and the overflow worked perfectly right out of the box.

LOLOLOL

@WWIII I appreciate your feedback. Can you provide any info on your setups to enlighten these guys? Funny how they seemed to ignore any positive feedback as they always do, since they love me so much they follow anything people post about us.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neilp2006,

I want to think me and @Dubs83 were the first to convert

And set a path for other people to realize you don’t have to live with a waterfall in your house and two there are options and it’s not that hard to do

I was lucky and found Mr Pilot to be exceptional to work with

every time I see a help my front weir is making noise post I Pm the OP and let them know about Taylor

I Should switch my name to the Patron Saint of Silence

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOLOLOL

@WWIII I appreciate your feedback. Can you provide any info on your setups to enlighten these guys? Funny how they seemed to ignore any positive feedback as they always do, since they love me so much they follow anything people post about us.
He has a sump in the basement so he running at most 300 gph thru his sump

I can do that

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOLOLOL

How about all the other feedback about how there is a problem with your design
When are you going to appreciate that?
Funny how you seem to ignore all of us.

And what we’re trying to do is hopefully stop people from wasting there money and supporting a company that bashes there customers with insults

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed my shadow overflow box and will be running this next weekend. I'll provide some updates and hopefully get some help in the event I do it wrong. Would be a shame if this didnt work..

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed my shadow overflow box and will be running this next weekend. I'll provide some updates and hopefully get some help in the event I do it wrong. Would be a shame if this didnt work..

Depends what you expect? A silent overflow?

Not going to happen. Sorry, I got sucked in by that too.

If you want an overflow that can do low volume flow while sacrificing the E-drain on your BA, there’s no better overflow for your needs!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 of these and they are all silent? I also have seen minimal salt creep. I clean them maybe twice a year and it's not near as bad as the pics shown here? I guess all of mine are setup in that sweet spot.

Push some real flow through it (eg anything more than 300 gph) then do a blockage test to test the e-drain.

Then come back and let us know how many towels you needed to dry the floor before your wife noticed

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let us know if you need anything.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one from BRS during Black Friday. I haven't had a chance to install it. This makes me wonder if there is a few people that are having problems at are vocal or it most people are having problems.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one from BRS during Black Friday. I haven't had a chance to install it. This makes me wonder if there is a few people that are having problems at are vocal or it most people are having problems.
The overflow will function perfectly fine. We have over 4000 out in service. BRS uses them as well. Yes you will always here some negative feedback, but it's all relative to how it was installed. If you need any assistance just shoot us an email.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow will function perfectly fine. We have over 4000 out in service. BRS uses them as well. Yes you will always here some negative feedback, but it's all relative to how it was installed. If you need any assistance just shoot us an email.

There’s no issue with how these are installed.

The issue lies with the engineering, and the flow rates that the people that are encountering issues are using.

I have a 180. I put 4.5 x through the sump- that’s 800gph.

The ‘weir drop’ at this flow rate creates a large enough splashing sound that it disturbs my wife’s work in the home office while on calls. I also can’t hear the tv very well.

The ‘solution’- run it so there is no weir drop, by putting the water level at 0.5” below the top of the outer box.

The issue with that is- your BA e-drain doesn’t have space to purge to create s siphon and you end up with water on your floor. Despite using the ‘never fail, never flood’ triple redundant BA.

This isn’t an issue with the BA- because a couple people produce an overflow with an outer box that’s higher than the shadow, allowing zero weir drop while maintaining safety from floods. They’ve been mentioned above.

Unless you have a 55 gallon, and run 4x through the sump, your either going to get noise, or reduced safety factor.

Oh, and the salt creep. Because of the ill fitting lid. But all you need is some super thin spline and some silicone grease.

The other boxes have a lid that actually works, fwiw

Frankly- is return the shadow to BRS and get either of those.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I strongly urge you to return it to BRS.

The overflow does not work as advertised. The company will not help you when you have issues because they cant. There is no solution to the many issues. I have run bean drains for over a decade, I know how they work yet I was still blamed, and given zero help on how to fix the issues. I certainly would have tried any solution synergy offered before throwing my shadow in the trash and going custom, but they offered no solutions.

There are MANY people who have the same issues. All of them have been blamed for the issues. None of them have received any help in solving the issues, because they cant be solved without changing products.

I am vocal about this. I do not want anyone else to have to deal with this nightmare like I have. I have nothing to gain, no alterior motive. My money is already gone and I have already had to deal with getting a custom overflow made and installed on a running tank. I have already had to deal with personal attacks and threats from synergy. I am not trying to gain anything. I am only trying to help others avoid the horrible situation I was in when I chose a shadow.

Please, return your shadow and avoid all the problems that it brings.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly urge you to return it to BRS.

The overflow does not work as advertised. The company will not help you when you have issues because they cant. There is no solution to the many issues. I have run bean drains for over a decade, I know how they work yet I was still blamed, and given zero help on how to fix the issues. I certainly would have tried any solution synergy offered before throwing my shadow in the trash and going custom, but they offered no solutions.

There are MANY people who have the same issues. All of them have been blamed for the issues. None of them have received any help in solving the issues, because they cant be solved without changing products.

I am vocal about this. I do not want anyone else to have to deal with this nightmare like I have. I have nothing to gain, no alterior motive. My money is already gone and I have already had to deal with getting a custom overflow made and installed on a running tank. I have already had to deal with personal attacks and threats from synergy. I am not trying to gain anything. I am only trying to help others avoid the horrible situation I was in when I chose a shadow.

Please, return your shadow and avoid all the problems that it brings.

I second this.

Send. It. Back

Worst $170 spent on my tank.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any second now, all posts not by the OP will be deleted by mods and this thread will be moved to feedback LOL :D. That’s what happened in the past when people start talking about it.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any second now, all posts not by the OP will be deleted by mods and this thread will be moved to feedback LOL :D. That’s what happened in the past when people start talking about it.
That's news to me. I will place my bet that they won't be deleted. How much are you wagering?

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll agree with the nay sayers. I was excited about mine and NEVER got it to quiet down. This was at 850gph and the noise could be heard in ever room of my home. Worst money I ever spent on the reef for sure.

@mixer911 has been very prompt in responding to my concerns but after several conversations, I never found a solution. Was told it’s something I’m doing. Was told it was my power heads causing turbulence. Was recommended I stuff the internal box with enkamat. Terrible advice. Anyway, I got in touch with EMS and @TaylorPilot and my overflow is SILENT. No water fall noise, no drain noise, no salt creep. It took me a few nights to get used to it being silent when I went to sleep lol. Return the shadow and contact Taylor. He’ll hook it up!

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not now it won’t since he called it out.

He isn’t lying either- happened a year ago in s similar thread

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you think we don’t look out for our users. Threads that are feedback threads are moved to the feedback forum. Threads that are discussions are allowed. The issue comes when certain members cannot drop an issue and go out of there way to complain and post about something relentlessly. Sometime things do not work out and people need to move on instead of carrying on. We are adults here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back