180 Lighting Options, I have 3

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short is that I have roughly three options to illuminate my 180. I’m kinda leaning towards a mixed Reef, but if the equipment doesn’t allow it then at least be able to put a few of my favorite pieces and an anemones or two in it.

First Option - 1 Kessil AP700. I would love to get a mixed Reef going with this but I know it’s max limit is a 120, I believe that’s becuase of thebmax width the AP700 is able to cover. Would like some input on this for sure if it’s plausible for keeping coral, just by this light itself.

Second Option - 2 Chinese black boxes. Never really had to much experience with these things but I’ve seen some people pull off some great stuff with them. These lights came with the tank when I bought it used.

Third Option - 1 Kessil AP700 & Kessil A360N. With this option I figured put the AP700 on 2/3 of the tank for SPS, Zoas and other non-light demanding coral and on the other 1/3 of the tank have like an SPS island that the A360 is hanging over so it has the capability to get light penetration.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a 180 as well.
f39251a895e9b240225a93f8b96e7230.jpg

I have two A360s and a 60” 4 bulb ATI light. With this combo I get very few shading issues, but the center of the tank isn’t able to support SPS growth. I bought, but have not setup a AquaticLife combo light so I can easily add another a360 or two.

I’d suggest placing the ap700 in the center of tank and an a360 on either side.

But this will depend on what you want to grow/support. Are you thinking mostly softies or sps?

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think 2 of the normal sized black boxes will be enough to light a 6' tank. I would get at least 3 if you go that route.

OP
OP
Irishman

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d suggest placing the ap700 in the center of tank and an a360 on either side.

Think I might go this route for until I can fund other lights since I still have a while until the tank cycles and get coral in. How far away do you have the A360s from the water level? Think I should put the AP700 at the same height as it as well?

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I might go this route for until I can fund other lights since I still have a while until the tank cycles and get coral in. How far away do you have the A360s from the water level? Think I should put the AP700 at the same height as it as well?
Makes sense.

I have them about 16 inches off the water. My problem is that my tank has a big center brace that is a pain. It blocks the light and makes it difficult to clean the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back