180G build thread

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a work in progress. Got a used 180, believe its an aqueon megaflow, with a metal stand. 72x24x24.

Got it a few months ago and have been slowly working on the build and acquiring equipment. Will be a mixed reef with mainly LPS/softies, maybe a few sticks but I like the flowing coral look more.

So far I have a 36" bashea sump and Jebao DCP 10000 for a return pump. I have gotten some of the smaller plumbing parts already, bulkheads, gate valves, some blue and black pvc along with a BRS inkbird controller and 2-300w titanium heaters.
Future will be getting icecap 4k gyres, probably the new Maxspec Jump skimmer and looking at noopsyche k7 pro lights.
TLBU9944.JPG

Screenshot 2020-09-16 173929.jpg

I got the tank and stand home and the tank was covered with coraline.
IMG_2100.JPG

I water tested and filled with vinegar.
EBPS7958.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG

No leaks and after about 3 weeks I drained and the coraline just wiped off with a pad.

IMG_2170.JPG
IMG_2171.JPG
IMG_2193.JPG

The metal stand did not have feet so I decided to add some leveling feet, 6 in total rated at 1000lbs a piece
Screenshot 2020-09-16 174158.jpg

IMG_2159.JPG

Drilled the holes and used a rivenut tool and mounted them

NYIH4917.JPG

WIll probably repaint the stand.

I also acquired a lot of rock used and began bleach soaking it.
IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

This is where the tank will go. I also decided to build a mixing station next to the stand.

IMG_2234.JPG

Which I documented under the DIY section if interested.
I plan to eventually skin both the mix station and metal stand. I have a plastic drip tray, and will probably do 1/2" board in the bottom of the stand.

I have gotten some of the plumbing parts. Originally I was going to do a single durso style drain in each overflow with the return coming out.
IMG_2080.JPG

After tons of research I decided to scrap that idea and go with a herbie style in each over flow and plumb the returns over the back into the over flow.

Again a slow work in progress, hoping it gets wet in the next few months. Will probably get the gyres in the next month or so and then begin cycling. 1600303481052.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icecap gyre 4K is in the way. Will be adding a second later on.

installed 2 GFCI outlets, one near the mixing station and 1where the tank will be. This ended up being a bigger job then I thought. I am fairly handy and have installed numerous outlets and light switches, but since these need to be wired in series, with a load and line input/output it just took longer and some trial and error.

Got a 4channel dj power station for the mixing station. Still deciding where to mount it. The outlets are on the top and doest fit where I originally thought I would put it based on my design inspiration. Second spot is a little high for the cord and doesn’t support a dril loop.

will be ordering 120lbs of sand shortly, might not quite be enough but that’s the max amazon will let me order at a time. Only want about an 1” but will order more if needed.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first choice for a non-custom build would have been the Aqueon 180 Megaflow, and it seems you are doing a fantastic job. (Hint for any stubborn areas that need cleaning— make a paste out of “Bar Keeper’s Friend” and use a rag and elbow grease. Rinse off well.)

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first choice for a non-custom build would have been the Aqueon 180 Megaflow, and it seems you are doing a fantastic job. (Hint for any stubborn areas that need cleaning— make a paste out of “Bar Keeper’s Friend” and use a rag and elbow grease. Rinse off well.)
Thanks! The vinegar soak for a month did wonders. The stuff thats left is on the teeth of the over flow which I can live with.

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the rock has been sitting in water/bleach for over a month. Took it out and pressure washed it. Put it back into a clean container with fresh water and prime. Will probably soak for a week until I get the sand.

Im going to start with 120lbs of
Screenshot 2020-09-24 135729.jpg

Will probably need more but amazon limits to 3 bags at a time.

Should have the water station moved into place and wired, stand and tank in place this weekend. Will be mocking up the plumbing and seeing what else I need for plumbing parts. May take longer since I will probably get schl 80 parts since I am going for a black/grey/blue look. Or I may just spray paint schl 40 that I can get locally at lowes.

62266966203__65A74092-8B4E-4931-96F3-82101BF84A47.JPG IMG_2267.jpg IMG_2268.jpg IMG_2271.jpg

62266966203__65A74092-8B4E-4931-96F3-82101BF84A47.JPG IMG_2267.jpg IMG_2268.jpg IMG_2271.jpg

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome!! Let me know how those leveling feet work out for you!
will do. I estimated that this will weigh close to 2000 lbs when full of rock,sand and water. Im on a concrete slab so not worried about that. Its gonna be sitting on hardwood floors and I may have gone over kill since these 6 feet support 1000 lbs each but Id rather over do it on something like that.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this build! Will also be setting up a 180 in the next month or so. How do you like the standard 180 tank? Was thinking about the exact one you have.

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this build! Will also be setting up a 180 in the next month or so. How do you like the standard 180 tank? Was thinking about the exact one you have.

I had a specific length in mind (6') and wanted something at least 2 feet wide. I will be honest this wasnt my first choice as I was looking at some custom built tanks but cost was going to be north of $2k. I wanted to do a rear drilled tan with a shadow overflow, but was also mindful on the cost.

I found this one used about 3 hours from me and couldnt pass up the price. Its designed to have a 1" durso style drain in each overflow and a 3/4" return. While many people have ran these setups, they have a reputation for being noisy, finnecky and they have no redundancy. So I will be doing a herbie style drain in each overflow and plumbing 3/4" returns over the back.

So again wasnt my first choice but so far I have no complaints. Build quality seems good, even as a used tank.

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the ADJ PC-4 power station I mounted to the mixing station, put a heater in, thermometer and mounted the wires/power brick on the pump. Turned out pretty well in my opinion.

So I will get it into position and then move the stand in.

Also got my Icecap 4k, ordered 120lbs of sand and a boat load of plumbing fittings. Still hoping to get stand/tank in This weekend. Hoping plumbing parts will be here next week. Had to split between a plumbing fitting company because they had black schedule 40 parts for great prices and BRS for the lengths of black/blue 3/4" and 1" pipe. The plumbing company had pipe in various colors, but they charge extra for pipe handling along with shipping. If I got the pipes from them as well shipping would have been over $50 when BRS does free shipping over a certain amount.

IMG_2272.jpg IMG_2273.jpg IMG_2274.jpg

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank stand is in. 120 lbs of sand arrived, plumbing parts hopefully by end of this coming week so I can move tank in and plumb. I got 2 plastic drip pans, they fit and I could silicon them in the bottom of the stand. After discussing with the wife, going to make a wood floor in the bottom of the sump, coat with the plastic dip and then silicon in with a lip around. Then I will put the plastic drip pans under the tank floor. The leveling feet have about 2" clearance and another 1" from the metal beam around. Should give plenty of room for towels and air drying in case something gets on the hard woods. Mixing station is in place and plugged in.

IMG_2278.jpg

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in!!!

So I got all of my black schedule 40 plumbing parts along with some more blue and black pipe from BRS in 3/4" and 1."
Also got some more DI resin and have had other new filters other then the membrane. Plan to change these all out fresh before I start filling for the first time.

Also went to lowes and got some 1/4" RO fittings, since the RO/Line is running from the laundry room on the other side of the wall from the mixing station, I want to have a valve to run some of the ro/di water into the drain to reduce the TDS creep going into the system.

Went to the LFS and got Dr Tims one and only and ammonia chloride for cycle.

Have a shelf cut out and put flex seal on it. This will go in the bottom of the stand for the sump. I will silicone it in place.

Should be dry tomorrow, will put into the stand and then the sump and start plumbing.

Got a Tunze ATO off ebay. Still debating on if I am going to run the ATO directly from the top brute or get a separate 15-20 gallon container for top off.

I tested the chlorine in the rock container and total/free chlorine both tested zero after I had the rock soaking in fresh water plus prime. Decided to drain and refill again with fresh water and some prime anyway. Let it sit for a day or 2.

Should get plumbing done tomorrow and or into the next day. If it gets done should get the rock work started monday possibly into next weekend.

Before anyone asks, yes I leveled the stand with the leveling feet, went pretty easy and tank is level on the stand. FYI anyone who is moving tanks, the rolling dollies are your friend!!!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the sump in, got all my plumbing laid out and ready to start this project today!!

First item, 1" emergency drain bulk heads a 3/4" full siphon drain bulk heads.... Wanted to use PVC schedule 80 bulk heads, have had them sitting around for a month +, never fitted them.... and they dont fit. Schedule 80 bulk heads are bigger than the ABS schedule 40 bulkheads....which I knew but never took into account....This tank was drilled for the smaller ones....Son of a.... So I looked online, I know BRS has them but they wouldnt get here until end of the week, lowes doesnt have the right ones and also only has 3/4" ones not 1". Checked on amazon and I could get them Tuesday. Call to the lfs (which local is 40 minutes away) and they have them!! Jump in the car and get home, perfect fit and back in action.

Both sets of bulk heads are in and tightended. Installed the 1" emergency drain lines, will probably have to cut them down a little as I think they are sitting above the weir teeth. I cut them at 23" but with no glue they dont slide down as much as I thought they would into the bulk heads. Also installed the 3/4" full siphon drain lines in the over flow. Cut them at 12" and put a strainer on the top of each one.

First 3/4 drain is assembled as I am lining up the sump to be directly under the left set of drains. I went with a union and then the gate valve and its a straight drop in. Have started the second 3/4" full siphon drain but gotta figure out if I want a second union somewhere on this run. Right now it goes bulk head - union - gate valve - 9" drop of pipe to a 90 to shoot from the right drain over to the drain area of the sump. I am not gluing the drains into the sump.

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the sump in, got all my plumbing laid out and ready to start this project today!!

First item, 1" emergency drain bulk heads a 3/4" full siphon drain bulk heads.... Wanted to use PVC schedule 80 bulk heads, have had them sitting around for a month +, never fitted them.... and they dont fit. Schedule 80 bulk heads are bigger than the ABS schedule 40 bulkheads....which I knew but never took into account....This tank was drilled for the smaller ones....Son of a.... So I looked online, I know BRS has them but they wouldnt get here until end of the week, lowes doesnt have the right ones and also only has 3/4" ones not 1". Checked on amazon and I could get them Tuesday. Call to the lfs (which local is 40 minutes away) and they have them!! Jump in the car and get home, perfect fit and back in action.

Both sets of bulk heads are in and tightended. Installed the 1" emergency drain lines, will probably have to cut them down a little as I think they are sitting above the weir teeth. I cut them at 23" but with no glue they dont slide down as much as I thought they would into the bulk heads. Also installed the 3/4" full siphon drain lines in the over flow. Cut them at 12" and put a strainer on the top of each one.

First 3/4 drain is assembled as I am lining up the sump to be directly under the left set of drains. I went with a union and then the gate valve and its a straight drop in. Have started the second 3/4" full siphon drain but gotta figure out if I want a second union somewhere on this run. Right now it goes bulk head - union - gate valve - 9" drop of pipe to a 90 to shoot from the right drain over to the drain area of the sump. I am not gluing the drains into the sump.

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg
Nice, good luck with the plumbing!

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So plumbing is done, it lined up pretty nicely and clean. Both 3/4" full siphon drains are plumbed into the 2 holes(bulkheads) in the sump for filter socks/cups. The 2- 1" emergency drains dump right next to each other in the same drain compartment. 3/4" return line goes from the pump to a T then 2 true union ball valves then up the back of the tank and over into the over flows. The over flows had cut outs for 3/4 lock line. So I used a lock line Y and 2 - 6" sections of lock line to split them into the tank. I had a buddy 3d Print some random flow generators to see how they work. May end up extending the lock line by a few sections on each line as it just barely exits the overflow and will give limited adjust ability.

My wife and kids have been bugging me all day, "Why isnt there water in the tank yet," so my wife being the smart butt that she is, put a bottle of water in the tank....

So I will let the glue dry over night at least. Will start the aquascape tomorrow with the hopes of getting it wet tomorrow. But that may be next weekend.

Oh... Side note, Ive had the Bashea Biofuge sump sitting around for a couple of months since I got it on sale. I also bought 2 filter cups knowing I didnt plan to use the socks. So at some point months ago I was able to replace 1 of the socks with 1 of the new cups....But now I cant remember how in the hell I got it in there and now cant figure out how to get it out.........

8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

Back