180g FOWLR Stocking list - beginner to saltwater, 35years cichlid keeper

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am imminently converting my 180 over to a saltwater system.

My intended stock list is as follows

Emperor Angel
Picasso Trigger
Power Blue Tang
Harlequin Tusk
Cuban Hogfish
Pakistan Butterfly
Dogface Puffer
Zebra Moray
Miniatus Grouper
Pinkface Wrasse

OP
OP
MeanGreenStompa

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this is likely overstocking, I am also, from what i read on butterflyfish, concerned the Pakistan may be too mild for the rest of the intended fish.

The one fish that is 'set in stone' I think, is the Picasso Trigger, I've wanted one since I was a small boy.

Any thoughts on this list, alternative fish, stocking order?

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a butterfly fish is going to survive with the rest of that crowd. That is a lot of large fish and I would try to reduce it to no more than 5-6 fish. IME the grouper becomes very aggressive when large and can do a lot of damage. I would caution about adding one of those to any tank. I don't know much about the particular wrasse. They can be aggressive or weak. I also think the tusk is a little on the weaker side with some of the more aggressive fish.

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have much to add other than look at the Koran angel compared to the emperor (or both!) Personally I like the circular lines in the juvi emperor but they lose those as they age, where as the Korean keep them and look very similar!

lg_67194_Emperor_Angelfish.jpg emperor here lg_67285_Koran_Angelfish.jpg
And the koran

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with dropping the butterfly. If you wanted to try a butterfly that could run with the big boys, check out the racoon.

Coming from cichlids uou may be leaning a bit towards overstocking. Aggressive salt water fish do not like being crowded. I'd start with your favorites and be careful. Filtration will also be a bear with that load. Look into a refugium, the best addition you could have to maintain optimum water quality with little maintenance.

OP
OP
MeanGreenStompa

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did wonder, shame as the Pakistani Butterfly is another fish I've loved from afar for years, but yes. Let's remove it from the list.

Revised.

Emperor Angel
Picasso Trigger
Power Blue Tang
Harlequin Tusk
Cuban Hogfish
Dogface Puffer
Zebra Moray
Pinkface Wrasse

I am pondering if there might be conflict from the Wrasse to the Tusk, if so is there another option I am overlooking? I want to maximize color and shape and swimming behavior differences. I have also omitted a Lionfish from the list, despite liking them, as I have read triggers and puffers can snip them.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do have to be careful with harlequin tusk and other wrasses, I never included other wrasses with my tusk, but some have, so some research may point you toward some suggestions.

My last volitan just passed away, he spent 7 yearz with a picasso and yellow belly dogface puffer. This is the 3rd tank I've had with an arothron puffer, triggers, and a volitan lion. Tanks running more than 10 yearz with no issues.

OllieGreen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be a little worried about the harlequin tusk. I've never had one myself but I've heard they can get really aggressive. with most of your fish he should be fine but I've known them to bully smaller fished like wrasse until they die. They are also a big risk to inverts if you ever plan on keeping them. However they are a beautiful fish and in a tank that big they might do okay.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you intend to keep any corals or invertebrates?

If you do - some of those fish will snack on them - quickly.

If you don't - how do you plan on controlling algae & nutrients? That is a large bioload and will go through a significant amount of food.

OP
OP
MeanGreenStompa

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No intention of keeping inverts other than what may come from the live rock I guess. My intention was to keep a second 3ft tank next to and slightly raised, with macroalgae as a 'scrubber' refugium. I'm leery of using a sump as the tank isn't drilled and I worry about the hardwood floor... I live on the coast and seafood is pretty cheap around here. I also planned to supplement by throwing some of macroalgae in there as it overgrew.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back