180g Stocking List

cheelayqeelay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 6' x 2' x 2' 180 gallon up and running... have several desired fish here, would appreciate some input on whether or not these are a good idea together/is it too many fish/how does this order look:

1. Ocellaris Clown (2x)
2. Diamond Watchmen Goby
3. Blue Green Chromis (3-5x)
4. Lyretail Anthias (1x male, 3x female)
5. Copperband Butterfly (still on the fence w/ it)
6. Melanurus Wrasse
7. Pintail Fairy Wrasse
8. Scott's Fairy Wrasse
9. Naoko's Fairy Wrasse
10. Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
11. Mystery Wrasse
12. Purple Tang
13. Yellow Tang
14. Blue Tang
15. Naso Tang

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go over each selection individually:

1. x2 Ocellaris Clowns- Good. I’m personally not a fan of the “designer” variants.

2. Diamond Watchman Goby- Many starve because they don’t eat prepared foods, or carry many internal parasites from sifting the sand all day.

3. Blue-Green Chromis- Mixed reports of success in groups. Many end up with one or a pair. Look into the more peaceful Chrysiptera damsels instead, especially Azure, Yellowtail, Talbot’s, Starcki’s, Rolland’s (only the yellow cap variety from Vanuatu is nice), etc. Keep no more than a pair of Starcki unless the tank is big, but you can have a mix of the others.

4. Copperband Butterfly- Not an easy fish to get eating, see if it’s healthy and eating at least something at the LFS. Many people do keep them in reefs with success.

5. Wrasses- All good if you ask me. I don’t see many issues, but you might want to check the Fairy Wrasse compatibility chart by a former user called evolved. He was a wrasse guru. Someone else can post it for you.

6. Lyretail Anthias- No issues as far as I see. Add smaller females and wait for one to transition. Remember Anthias need to be fed 3 or more times a day for optimal health.

7. Mystery Wrasse- Some people have issues with these and other wrasses. Beautiful fish though.

8. Tangs- Drop the Blue and Naso, both are unsuitable long-term in a 180. I would add a smaller species of Acanthurus if that’s what you wish, and a Cthenochaetus or Bristletooth Tang.

I’d also like to point out that the Yellow and Purple should ideally be introduced at the same time and it’s not guaranteed two Zebrasomas won’t fight at least in the beginning. It can get pretty rough and both fish have their tail spikes. Ideally in size, Yellow > Purple.

Get a Yellow from Biota. It’s about your only choice ATM and who doesn’t want more captive Bred fish? Lol.

Do you like angels?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheelayqeelay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Yellow from Biota. It’s about your only choice ATM and who doesn’t want more captive Bred fish? Lol.
I actually found a Hawaiian yellow at my LFS for a decent price... someone had traded it in.

Do you like angels?
I haven't given them too much thought because none of them have really caught my eye... maybe I'll dig into it some more.

Thanks for the post!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually found a Hawaiian yellow at my LFS for a decent price... someone had traded it in.

I haven't given them too much thought because none of them have really caught my eye... maybe I'll dig into it some more.

Thanks for the post!
I agree with the angels, if you want reef safe then the Genicanthus are as reef safe as it gets (If you can grab a female G. semifasciatus they’re beautiful, or the subdominant male G. melanospilos is also VERY nice but you need a male to start with then let it loose it’s pattern, it won’t loose it completely but won’t be what you originally had due to it not needing to display the pattern as much).

Also on the wrasses it’s recommended to avoid the scottorum complex but there’s more in the wrasse lovers thread and my 4’ build thread (I think if you search up 4’x2’x2’ “build” you’ll find it) on how I mixed multiple wrasses with two of them being highly aggressive species.

OP
OP
C

cheelayqeelay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to do a Blue Tang (naso outta the picture), would it be possible to add a very small juvenile very early in the stocking list? I’ve tried looking around a bit, but, having seen much in the way of adding something like a blue tang early on in a tank stocking process while they are very small.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to do a Blue Tang (naso outta the picture), would it be possible to add a very small juvenile very early in the stocking list? I’ve tried looking around a bit, but, having seen much in the way of adding something like a blue tang early on in a tank stocking process while they are very small.
Probably not, these fish grow fast meaning you wouldn’t be able to take your time. As a blue grows the aggression becomes a nightmare.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id start out all my tangs juvenile (but not babys), and be prepared to rehome some if they get too aggressive... Otherwise looks like a solid stock list to me.

Back