2.7g Pico Pest Tank Office Build

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've obtained a 2.7 gal cube for next to nothing and decided to set it up as a pico reef. It is sitting in my cubicle at my job, so excited about this one. I've been itching to start a new reef tank and here it is! This will be the smallest SW tank I've never done.. (smallest was 9 gal, which I absolutely loved and miss). I am looking forward to the challenge!

My goal is to have pest corals- Xenia, Kenya, mushrooms and gsp. Some zoas too. Livestock would be some sort of invert, maybe pompom crab or sexy shrimps, I haven't decided yet. No fish. Of course some CUC.

The filter is the one that came with the tank and is rated for 7 gal. I replaced the filter media with a piece of established sponge from my main tanks sump. I hope the filter and flow will be strong enough. if not, I have a filter for 10 gals and a pump for nanos on standby.

I have this light coming in by the end of the week. Don't need lights at the moment while the tank cycles.
ABI 12W Tuna Blue LED Bulb Coral Reef Optimized. Spectrum PAR38

Right now I took some rock from my main tank, but will have to get more to fill up. Debating if I want to add sand, or leave it as BB.. what do you guys think?

IMG_9250.JPG

IMG_9251.JPG

IMG_9252.JPG

IMG_9253.JPG

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool and following along!

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bunch of freebie "pest" corals from my reef club (Thank you, Andy, if you are here!). I put them in this morning.
Some pulsing xenias, blue cloves, green polyps, teal green and red mushrooms and lots more GSP (I threw these in my sump of my main tank as there's already some in my pico). They're all on good sized rock chunks, none were plugged!

I had to remove some rock, not too much as I like the rocks as it is now! Some rocks has yellow sponges on it for an added bit of colors too.

This pic was taken about an hour after putting the pieces in the tank. They still need to open up. I am already mesmerized by the pulsing of the xenias.

jjRgL9t.jpg

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you- no fun updates really.

I had a terrible ammonia spike last week- a snail or crab died in the tank and caused the spike. It took me about 4 days to stabilize it again. Lost my pulsing xenias but everything else is coming back. The zoa bunch on the upper rock lost their green color and is ugly brown. Hoping the color will come back in time.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a nice xenia too. I will replace it soon.

I bought an Aquaclear 50 to create a refugium. Modded it per some instructions I've seen. I will let it cure a few days before putting it on the tank and adding chaetos and floss.

IMG_0142.thumb.JPG.8f2a769fac1187f36799299695440c45.JPG

I added a neon green Kenya tree today too. I hope it becomes a centerpiece (photo was taken when it was temporary in my main tank until I could get it to work).

IMG_0130.JPG

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater is Ehiem, I forget the wattage- rated for up to 10 gallons I believe.
The goby is a Yellow Clown Goby. Great little guy, always out in the open and tons of personality! I am still trying to fatten him up, he was pretty skinny at the LFS.

and thank you :D

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater is Ehiem, I forget the wattage- rated for up to 10 gallons I believe.
The goby is a Yellow Clown Goby. Great little guy, always out in the open and tons of personality! I am still trying to fatten him up, he was pretty skinny at the LFS.

and thank you :D

Would the filter fit into a standard 2.5g tank?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back