2 Maroons fighting

Jet Sled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey the one looks like a blood orange. I’ve got a pair of those that I’m trying to breed. My female is getting big. They’re over a year and half old. Hopefully soon I’ll have a spawn.

I did not even know about blood orange just looked it up looks like it’s a captive bred ORA? The little one or big one looks just like the blood orange? Interesting!

Last edited:

Jet Sled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at pictures of maroons and I wonder if they are both blood orange? They both have that clear section on the tips of their fins. Normal maroons don’t appear to have this, but I’m a clown noob so I don’t know

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beats001 did you try and pair them again? In the 3 days mine have been together again the male has taken quite a pounding. His fins are pretty torn up again but at least this time he has alternated from the very top of the water line to the bottom of the tank and does fight back a little. Other then the damage the female really goes after ALL of the food in an attempt to prevent him from eating. I've switched to feeding pe calenus and brine since they are smaller foods then mysis so the male can at least grab a few pieces. As long as he doesn't get to the point where he's not moving or eating I'll leave them be, but the divider is standing by just in case.

This has certainly been an interesting experience, while I have kept many different kinds of fish I've only had a few different clownfish. The naked girl in my avatar is my oldest fish, I got her when there were very few "mutant" varieties back in 2006.

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beats001 did you try and pair them again? In the 3 days mine have been together again the male has taken quite a pounding. His fins are pretty torn up again but at least this time he has alternated from the very top of the water line to the bottom of the tank and does fight back a little. Other then the damage the female really goes after ALL of the food in an attempt to prevent him from eating. I've switched to feeding pe calenus and brine since they are smaller foods then mysis so the male can at least grab a few pieces. As long as he doesn't get to the point where he's not moving or eating I'll leave them be, but the divider is standing by just in case.

This has certainly been an interesting experience, while I have kept many different kinds of fish I've only had a few different clownfish. The naked girl in my avatar is my oldest fish, I got her when there were very few "mutant" varieties back in 2006.
I haven't attempted to pair again yet. The big thunder Maroon is settled in the new anemone on one side of the tank. I am actually tempted to get another one for the other side o the tank for the smaller one, then put him in it. Waiting for lfs to get a nice magnifica in. I want one anyway, so nothing to lose. @andrewkw, I am very interested in your story.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not even know about blood orange just looked it up looks like it’s a captive bred ORA? The little one or big one looks just like the blood orange? Interesting!

Yeah! The Blood Orange was one of their successes. So the other one is an Orange too? That’s great. I believe they used a maroon and a regular ocsellaris. I’m attempting to try and spawn them.
I found this clownfish “calculator”. The way it works is that you enter in the two species that you desire and it will tell you what the results are, like what species you’ll get. I’m exited but it’s a ton of work keepin all those ranks clean.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad to say my female has killed my male. I have been under the weather the past few days but this morning the male was still fine. I just went to feed them and he's dead and the female is still attacking the body.. :(

Jet Sled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad to say my female has killed my male. I have been under the weather the past few days but this morning the male was still fine. I just went to feed them and he's dead and the female is still attacking the body.. :(

Darn that sucks! Sorry for your loss

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. :(

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I can't help but feel my urge to pair them is what did him in. While it wouldn't be ideal I do have another tank the male could have gone in if they never paired. What is everyone's opinion on trying again? Considering I drove these guys from 6hrs away I can't just go pick up a new one tomorrow. May try again in the new year.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next one might work, might not, you might not ever get her to pair up.

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I can't help but feel my urge to pair them is what did him in. While it wouldn't be ideal I do have another tank the male could have gone in if they never paired. What is everyone's opinion on trying again? Considering I drove these guys from 6hrs away I can't just go pick up a new one tomorrow. May try again in the new year.
That sucks, I guess we all knew that could happen. It's a real difficult one to get right it seems. Maybe better getting them as 2 babies and putting together. Makes me scared to try my two again. Thanks for the info @andrewkw

NoSurfnAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What species of clownfish was it?

NoSurfnAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, I guess we all knew that could happen. It's a real difficult one to get right it seems. Maybe better getting them as 2 babies and putting together. Makes me scared to try my two again. Thanks for the info @andrewkw

Don’t be scared. I’m sure it will be fine. Get one that is a lot smaller than the female.

NoSurfnAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got several pairs of clownfish. I can’t decide which is my favorite. I’m trying to get some spawning going on. I’ve been at it about two years. Most of my clownfish were purchased as juveniles, so I’m waiting for them the mature sexually. I’m almost at a 2year mark, but no action from them. Some of my non-clown species, like my blennies, have been spawning like crazy and I’ve been hatching and raising some. Now my LFS wants a big number so I’ve hatched a bunch of them.
I so anxious to see my clowns mature sexually. I’m not exactly certain when that is. Some say around two years, but then I’m also reading how some here have had their clowns spawn at a really young age like 1yo. I’m feeding them a lot (TDO & Fert Frenzy), about 3-4 times a day. The lights stay on for 14hrs and the water temp is set at 80. I’ve tried a few things but no luck. I’ll just have to Wait and see. Here is a pic of my Blood Orange clownfish. I have about 8 different pair. Some that are paired are of different strains so that I can produce a different coloration and/or different strain. I don’t know if it will work with some, but I’m hoping. I’ve only been breeding for about 1.5yrs. I’ve still got a lot to read and learn. Thanks for letting me share.
eb3a21c4a90d7168b53b10ff65a81756.jpg

If anyone with experience breeding clownfish can give me some pointers I would be grateful. I have learned a lot, but there’s still a lot I am unsure of. Thanks everyone. Happy holidays to everyone[emoji491][emoji490]

NoSurfnAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lightning Maroons, see my posts above. I also posted a video of them as well.

I think I am going to want to try another male but probably won't get a chance until next year.

So before the male died, did they spawn or start to get ready to? I’ve got one Lightning Maroon paired with a regular maroon. They are very young still.

NoSurfnAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lightning Maroons, see my posts above. I also posted a video of them as well.

I think I am going to want to try another male but probably won't get a chance until next year.

Here’s my lightening maroon and his mate. He’s the male the regular maroon is the female. I was upset because I had a 2yo gold bar Maroon that I was going to pair the lightening with. My return pump stopped overnight and the gold bar was killed a long with all my other maroons. It was a six bin setup and I had a lot of my broodstock places there. I lost like half of my fish that day. It was about a month ago.
Here’s an image of my Ligtening Maroon.
8589f4cfea96d622703f12f8d7f01401.jpg

NoSurfnAZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For some reason they are abundant here. Even at Petcos where I live sell lightening Maroons. Why don’t you just go to petco or LFS and just order instead of driving all that way. As much as you’d spend in gas, it would cover the fish and shipping too. I’m sure you know this already. I was just curious why u had to drive all over.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear it ended up bad for your male. Clowns are nasty and super difficult to pair. I paired a female back I paired to wild maroons back in 2000 and it was very difficult but still worked with 2 small ones introduced at same time. then in 2007 the female died and male turned female, few months later I tried to add a male and it killed 2 before accepting the third. it even chased one back into the net while I was removing him. she died couple years ago at 16 years of age and I still have the male (now female in its own tank as its very aggressive to risk with fish in my tank. I added 6 pairs of designer clowns (not maroons) in last 3 months to different tanks and it went super smooth I didn't even see noticeable aggression. I still love the maroon clowns character and behavior of the pair I had as I notice a load of difference. Male even while dosing submission would never be above the tank it would always be below near sand level and after he would get charged and submit he would go up to the female and I could see it clearly that he would "kiss"the female on the cheek at the level of those barbs maroons get. as nasty as it is it was nice to see a small maroon clown defend its nest against a 20 times large semicirculatus.
they also took to the anemone much faster as they were wild.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back