OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is "normal" Maroons are pretty normal...

An update on my pair. While doing a water change yesterday I knocked the divider off. They immediately went after each other. I separated again and they continue to look at each other through the divider. They basically just swim in circles around each other it's not just the female attacking the male, male tries for the female too. There is no medical reason for them to still be in QT but I am hoping seeing each other for a while will help them get along in the future.

Beats001 it should only take about 3 days for torn fins to heal assuming you are feeding high nutrition food. Your guess is as good as mine when to try again though..
Its all very interesting, lets see if anything works.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maroons are flat out the most difficult to pair clowns. It's not uncommon for people to never find a mate for their larger Maroon. It really is on a fish by fish basis. The smaller the pair, the better the luck and the older and larger the female the more difficult.

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maroons are flat out the most difficult to pair clowns. It's not uncommon for people to never find a mate for their larger Maroon. It really is on a fish by fish basis. The smaller the pair, the better the luck and the older and larger the female the more difficult.
That sucks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Theres a reason they are similar color to the devil himself and talk about them biting the hands of owners !!! Let me say this about maroons . . . . . . . . .

Whats%2BNew%2BNAV%2B2017.png

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your first one in tank was 2", it's a good chance it may have been female already, adding larger could mean you have 2 females

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies guys. Its difficult to know when the little one has had too much. his fins are torn, he is still able to get away from the big one, but there was an attack, every 3 minutes or so, so i separated them for the 3rd time. I am going to give the little one a rest, he is just in the sump. I got a Caribbean anemone today, lets see if the big one shows any interest. @hdsoftail1065 How bad was the little lightning in your situation? was its fins torn? May I just shouldn't watch, but my little one, just didn't submit. Maybe its an idea to put them in a small container and hope the wee one does the submission move.
The small one was beat up pretty bad, fins roughed up. It is all back to normal looking good now. I was leaning towards pulling it out, or finding an acclimation box for it's own protection. Using a divider in my tank wasn't an option. This last week they feed together with no signs of aggression. The "sometimes" swim around each other with no aggression. I must have worked. I hope I didn't just jinks myself.

I posted the same situation on October 20 and had the clowns a couple of weeks prior, if that gives you any idea how long it took mine.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clown-pairing-how-long-does-it-take.481935/

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your first one in tank was 2", it's a good chance it may have been female already, adding larger could mean you have 2 females
That could well be the case. I wander is there a way to know by looking at the fish?

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The small one was beat up pretty bad, fins roughed up. It is all back to normal looking good now. I was leaning towards pulling it out, or finding an acclimation box for it's own protection. Using a divider in my tank wasn't an option. This last week they feed together with no signs of aggression. The "sometimes" swim around each other with no aggression. I must have worked. I hope I didn't just jinks myself.

I posted the same situation on October 20 and had the clowns a couple of weeks prior, if that gives you any idea how long it took mine.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clown-pairing-how-long-does-it-take.481935/
That's an awesome looking Maroon in the pic. Very distinctive markings. I'm glad it's worked for you.
Someone pointed out that my two Maroons could both in fact be female. That could be it. I might go my two out a bit and try get some juveniles to pair them with.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could well be the case. I wander is there a way to know by looking at the fish?

Not that I personally know.
Typically an inch and a quarter max to assure still male unless it's been kept in check by a female.
Best approach normally is to add that size or preferably even smaller to your larger existing.
You might need to make a choice between the two(I'd pick smaller of the two unless you are really drawn to larger) and take a break to let things calm down, try again later w/ a very small male, intro in a container.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beats101 I hope you don't mind me posting this in your thread, since we are essentially having the same issue anything I learn could hopefully help you.

I've once again tried to pair my guys. They went after each other as soon as the divider went down. I fed them first and then did a water change thinking all that would leave them less likely to go after each other. However much of the same as before. The smaller male is stuck in the corner and as soon as he leaves the female goes after him. This 25 seconds of video pretty much sums up the last hour.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a very pretty maroon female you have. Mine are fighters too. It’s a known thing with these guys. They are turning out to be hard to spawn, in my case anyways. I’d sure like to know how to get them to spawn. I have a couple of other species that I’ve been able to spawn, nameley blennies and gobies. I have yet to have any of my 8 pairs of various types of clowns spawn. If anyone has any tips, pass them along. I can trade research and experience with culturing copepods and other first foods if anyone can help

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beats101 I hope you don't mind me posting this in your thread, since we are essentially having the same issue anything I learn could hopefully help you.

I've once again tried to pair my guys. They went after each other as soon as the divider went down. I fed them first and then did a water change thinking all that would leave them less likely to go after each other. However much of the same as before. The smaller male is stuck in the corner and as soon as he leaves the female goes after him. This 25 seconds of video pretty much sums up the last hour.

Yours is a male I can tell by size and it's lighter color, and more so that it twitches in submission to the female.
She's being about the normal amount of roughness for a maroon, if she refused completely it would probably have been killed by now.
Yours will most likely work out, though it will look pretty rough for a bit still.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a very pretty maroon female you have. Mine are fighters too. It’s a known thing with these guys. They are turning out to be hard to spawn, in my case anyways. I’d sure like to know how to get them to spawn. I have a couple of other species that I’ve been able to spawn, nameley blennies and gobies. I have yet to have any of my 8 pairs of various types of clowns spawn. If anyone has any tips, pass them along. I can trade research and experience with culturing copepods and other first foods if anyone can help

It's probably about 2 years of age that they are of spawning age, not sure how old yours are.

OP
OP
Beats001

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your male is kinda fighting back there. My female even attacks when my male is up in the corner. I'll give mine another go now my female is settled in her anemone. Worth a go I reckon.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably about 2 years of age that they are of spawning age, not sure how old yours are.

Well I almost got that far with my first set but they each met their own fate. The oldest I got is not quite that old but could be. Most clownfish are marketable size, generally speaking, in 8 mos give or take right? Right now maroon wise I have a Blood Orange pair which is part maroon I guess and a male lightening with a gold bar female. What do u think?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pm me.

Jet Sled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2a955ec33c30c43c6d455b1f30c4a958.jpg

These are my two maroons (currently in qt r/t velvet a coral beauty brought in). I added the larger female (wild) after I already had the small male (tank raised) about 2 weeks later or so. I let them duke it out and he for sure got some nipped fins. but he submitted and now they always stay together. I just went with the notion of let the strongest survive and it worked out well in the end. I think having such a bigger size difference makes it a lot easier!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I almost got that far with my first set but they each met their own fate. The oldest I got is not quite that old but could be. Most clownfish are marketable size, generally speaking, in 8 mos give or take right? Right now maroon wise I have a Blood Orange pair which is part maroon I guess and a male lightening with a gold bar female. What do u think?

I think it's 6 months at earliest, and that may vary among breeders slightly.

If your clowns are mature enough but have not spawned yet I've heard claims that a heavy protein varied diet may help, I think oyster eggs or nutramar ova have been claimed to help, but I've never had to try anything special myself.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2a955ec33c30c43c6d455b1f30c4a958.jpg

These are my two maroons (currently in qt r/t velvet a coral beauty brought in). I added the larger female (wild) after I already had the small male (tank raised) about 2 weeks later or so. I let them duke it out and he for sure got some nipped fins. but he submitted and now they always stay together. I just went with the notion of let the strongest survive and it worked out well in the end. I think having such a bigger size difference makes it a lot easier!

Hey the one looks like a blood orange. I’ve got a pair of those that I’m trying to breed. My female is getting big. They’re over a year and half old. Hopefully soon I’ll have a spawn.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back