2 questions

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the first, I got a new frag at the lfs they are saying was a odd monti frag. It looked more like a maze to me but figured I'd pick it up since it was 10 bucks couldn't go wrong. Still curious what you guys thought it was or if I need to let it grow out more before deciding.
The second, this stag keeps bleaching out in chunks like this. I've cut it shorter twice now trying to get rid of the dead spot and a chunk dies again and doesnt seem to recover. I'm curious if this is a sign of disease. I notice an unpleasant smell on this everytime I pull it to cut, curious if I should just remove it incase it is something that spreads to my other acros since they are all growing and encrusting nicely.
20190310_112349.jpeg
20190310_112447.jpeg

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the first, I got a new frag at the lfs they are saying was a odd monti frag. It looked more like a maze to me but figured I'd pick it up since it was 10 bucks couldn't go wrong. Still curious what you guys thought it was or if I need to let it grow out more before deciding.
The second, this stag keeps bleaching out in chunks like this. I've cut it shorter twice now trying to get rid of the dead spot and a chunk dies again and doesnt seem to recover. I'm curious if this is a sign of disease. I notice an unpleasant smell on this everytime I pull it to cut, curious if I should just remove it incase it is something that spreads to my other acros since they are all growing and encrusting nicely.
20190310_112349.jpeg
20190310_112447.jpeg
Got a better pic of the "monti" my clowns wanted in all the photos was making it hard to focus.
20190310_113430.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the first one, that is a monti. I just do not know the name. I could be wrong:rolleyes::)

On the seconded question, do you have your tank parameters?

#reefsquad some help please

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the first one, that is a monti. I just do not know the name. I could be wrong:rolleyes::)

On the seconded question, do you have your tank parameters?

#reefsquad some help please
I'll run tests now. Just got kid down for nap

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean towards lepto on the first one. The lines are what points me that direction.

As for the smell on the Acro, they all stink ;) just something about them. Your tank parameters might help determine the issues with it though.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with lepto. The smell is just a normal SPS/acro smell. What you have tried to do by cutting above the necrotic area is the right thing. Did you dip the acro? Any visible pests (flat worms, etc.)?

Awaiting the parameters. Are they stable?

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 77, ph 8, dkh 8, nitrate 10, spg 1.027 calc 310, mag 1240. Mostly stable. Temp ranges from 77 to 79 depending on time of day. Spg is slightly up. Usually 1.026, calc is down I'll haveto keep an eye on it will dose some calc tonight usually is 400, admittedly I havent tested calc in 3 weeks.

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with lepto. The smell is just a normal SPS/acro smell. What you have tried to do by cutting above the necrotic area is the right thing. Did you dip the acro? Any visible pests (flat worms, etc.)?

Awaiting the parameters. Are they stable?
I do dip corals when I get them. Havent dipped this one in when cutting. No pests I'm seeing. Even during recent night checks. Unless you count the bristle worms, spaghetti worms or random skinny stars (found one in sump media but never since) also found an asterina star (I think) a few months back removed and havent seen another. The bristle worms have multiplied like crazy getting a six line to hopefully start eating them.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For gun guys... there’s nothing like the smell of Hoppe’s No. 9... for SPS guys there’s nothing quite like “that” acro smell...

OP
OP
kintle

kintle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For gun guys... there’s nothing like the smell of Hoppe’s No. 9... for SPS guys there’s nothing quite like “that” acro smell...
Give me the hoppe's anytime. I like the smell. The acros was to see if I could. 3 of the 4 are doing great so far so I'll call it a success. For the one stag I have no idea why it's not happy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back