2 Questions

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I'm buying equipment for my first salt/reef tank. I have a couple of questions so far:

1. Is a protein skimmer necessary with some live some dry rock and a good canister filter? Not doing sump at all.
2. There is a RODI unit at Chewy.com that says it does 50 gallons in 24 hours. Anyone have experience with these from chewy? it's only around $60, so it's a pretty good deal. We have one under our sink but it only spits out a gallon at a time and it's alkaline. Is it ok to use soft water then thru the rodi unit, or should I use straight tap water before it gets to the softening system? Also, do I really need the DI part of the system or can I get by with RO only?

Thanks,

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Don't go canister, they just collect waste and produce nitrates.
2. The GPD (gallons per day) is dependent on the pressure your water line provides. I'm sure it will work fine, but you may end up replacing the filters/cartridges a lot.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) i agree, skip on the canister filter
2) I have the exact one from chewy you are talking about. It is really slow and it's a pain in my butt. I only have 30 gallons between 2 aquariums and It takes way too long to produce water for water changes and my ato. Also this model has a 1:5 ratio. Every 1 gallon of clean water is 5 gallons of water going down the drain

OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have to go canister for now. So, that being said, protein skimmer?
It's really hard to keep buying very expensive things, but I may need to buy a higher cost RODI unit. Are the ones Home Depot/Lowes sells ok for aquarium use? Not sure if they include the DI part. I did the math and just to fill my tank the first time will be north of $250 if I buy premade water. That's from Petco. My LFS may have better pricing. Have to see

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a protein skimmer necessary with some live some dry rock and a good canister filter?
No, A canister is fine. It will filter out the detritus. You will need to clean it often. If you do regular water changes each week you should have no problem. Be sure to also vac your sand bed

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have to go canister for now. So, that being said, protein skimmer?
I like protein skimmers. Keeps nitrates low cleans really well. Some people use a skimmer for all of their mechanical filtration. I only use a skimmer and a refugium I have no other form of mechanical filtration

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. Is it ok to use soft water then thru the rodi unit, or should I use straight tap water before it gets to the softening system?
I would use straight tap water and not the softened water.
Also, do I really need the DI part of the system or can I get by with RO only?
RO will filter out some things but not all. DI will get what the RO does not. You can try without DI. Results can vary

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of tank, bioload etc would factor into the answer. Using a canister filter brings all kinds of risks with it so make sure you get one that is easy to clean...…..often.

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not skimp on the RO/DI unit. Clean water is the most important ingredient in a successful reef tank. I can't stress this enough. The BRS RO/DI is incredible value and I'd highly recommend you invest in this piece of equipment above all else.

Do not use a canister filter. Does your tank have some sort of chamber in the back like an AIO tank? Even a simple hang on back filter would be fine as long as you have ample water flow from your powerheads.

OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not skimp on the RO/DI unit. Clean water is the most important ingredient in a successful reef tank. I can't stress this enough. The BRS RO/DI is incredible value and I'd highly recommend you invest in this piece of equipment above all else.

Do not use a canister filter. Does your tank have some sort of chamber in the back like an AIO tank? Even a simple hang on back filter would be fine as long as you have ample water flow from your powerheads.
I'm stuck with the canister for now. Will see how it goes with regular water changes. Ok, figured out BRS is Bulk Reef Supply. They have different units, any recommendation or are they all ok?

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stuck with the canister for now. Will see how it goes with regular water changes. Ok, figured out BRS is Bulk Reef Supply. They have different units, any recommendation or are they all ok?

I have the 5 stage value system. I have pretty good water in my town so its all I need. You really can't go wrong with any of the @Bulk Reef Supply RO/DI units. Give them a call and they can walk you through it. One of the best companies I've ever worked with. They don't try to up-sell and honestly care about their customers. Call them, tell them your budget and what you are looking for and they can help you out for sure!

OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 5 stage value system. I have pretty good water in my town so its all I need. You really can't go wrong with any of the @Bulk Reef Supply RO/DI units. Give them a call and they can walk you through it. One of the best companies I've ever worked with. They don't try to up-sell and honestly care about their customers. Call them, tell them your budget and what you are looking for and they can help you out for sure!
I think I've decided to go with the 150 gpd 4 stage value plus with water saver. It's only 1.5:1 so a big savings in water, which I'm always looking for here in dry SoCal... Now my only dilemma is where to have the waste go. I don't have a drain near where I plan to put it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Id skip and buy a hang on back with skimmer
That RO is very basic and will deliver very basic needs. Youre better off adding another $70 and buy something that will deliver quality water and built to last.

OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id skip and buy a hang on back with skimmer
That RO is very basic and will deliver very basic needs. Youre better off adding another $70 and buy something that will deliver quality water and built to last.
So, if I buy a HOB w/skimmer, do I still need canister? Or will it be in addition to the canister.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No canister needed
So, my last tank over 20 years ago had an hob and it was freshwater. You're saying the same kind of filter will work for saltwater? I've read many places that a canister with some live rock should be fine as long as it's cleaned regularly? Doesn't the canister move more water?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not the freshwater version. This:

1566513931313.png

Known as hang on fuge

OP
OP
W

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I don't know what fuge means. I am a dead new noob to saltwater. Every day is an education. I can't seem to find an HOB like that. The ones on BRS are like skimmers or something.
Never mind. I found it on the BRS site...Refugium. I found the exact one you showed in your pic, vette. So, with that is it the complete filter I need? No canister, sump, etc? How about a protein skimmer?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back