20 Gallon Long Mixed Reef Build

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef Buddies! I am new to the reefing hobby for the past year and a half. Started with a 20 gallon long tank and have been cycling a 40 gallon long for the last 8 mos.

My 20 gal is now packed with corals, but I wanted to share my progression of the tank, its ups and downs, and maybe get some advice from the experienced reefers out there!

Here are pics of the initial setup and about 10 months later. I'll post more pics of the current setup soon.

IMG_6897.jpeg IMG_9015.jpeg

OP
OP
RiceKrispy Reefer

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial tank setup in february 2020

IMG_6897.jpeg

Initial Tank setup, super simple:
20 gallon long tank
Random Wooden stand
Jebao wavemaker
Cheap skimmer
Marineland Power filter, for mechanical filtration
20 pound of live rock
Carab Sea Fiji Pink Live sand
API Master Test kit
Fluval Aquasky light

Parameters holding steady after one month
IMG_6953.jpeg

March 2020, approximately 2 months into my cycle. Not a huge fan of the aquascape, but got some cheap rock from different friends and rolled with it.
IMG_6955.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RiceKrispy Reefer

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 months later, filefish and emerald crabs didn't make it. Added a bicolor blenny and yellow watchman goby. May 2020

IMG_7467.jpeg

OP
OP
RiceKrispy Reefer

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Played with the aquascape some. Blenny jumped out so got a lid and added some chromis. Added a maxi mini too

June 2020
IMG_7840.jpeg

OP
OP
RiceKrispy Reefer

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to think bigger. Started to do way more research! Started to think more about corals. Then saw a sweet deal on some fish and added a royal gramma and bicolor angel fish......YES I KNOW NOW THE TANK WAS TOO SMALL! So i eventually gave them away lol
IMG_8049.jpeg

OP
OP
RiceKrispy Reefer

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
August 2020...Had some bubble nems, GSP, shrooms (again way too early, but I realized too late). Also decided to upgrade the light finally to a AI prime 16HD!

IMG_8305.jpeg

I have a tiny room, so the tank is in front of my bed lol. Super quiet.
IMG_8659.jpeg

OP
OP
RiceKrispy Reefer

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
October 2020: Stable parameters, tank finally maturing. Didn't make too many changes. Added lots of zoas, soft corals. Had a kole tang in the tank briefly for a friend. Helped with algae for a few days. Gave me the itch for a bigger tank one day...

IMG_8802.jpeg

OP
OP
RiceKrispy Reefer

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest game changer....a hang on refugium! This added so much stability to my tank...so I was able to start really upping the coral game. December 2020
IMG_9150.jpeg

IMG_9008.jpeg
IMG_9009.jpeg

Razorp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the tank looking? I’m thinking about turning my aquaclear 110 into a refugium. Haven’t made up my mind yet. I’m still running a skimmer and I understand on a smaller tank, that both will strip too many nutrients

SuperDave531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build Have you noticed a significant pH swings from day to night when lighting your display AND your fuge concurrent? Just curious

OP
OP
RiceKrispy Reefer

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build Have you noticed a significant pH swings from day to night when lighting your display AND your fuge concurrent? Just curious
Unfortunately I work as an ER resident and my shift schedule prevents me from having consistent lighting of the fuge all the time. But when I check my water the PH stays pretty consistent. I also have a pretty big coral bio load that keeps things constant

OP
OP
RiceKrispy Reefer

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the tank looking? I’m thinking about turning my aquaclear 110 into a refugium. Haven’t made up my mind yet. I’m still running a skimmer and I understand on a smaller tank, that both will strip too many nutrients
The tank is doing great actually! All healthy corals right now! I actually tried using aqua clear as a refuge in for a while. But I liked the breeder boxes better because I could see the chaeto and the shape allowed for better lighting! Aquaclear does allow for more water flow through it tho! I just wanted to make sure the chaeto had the best lighting and this helped with the growth!

OP
OP
RiceKrispy Reefer

RiceKrispy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for a cover? Looks plastic?
Sorry for the late reply! I used diy plastic roofing insulation from Lowe’s and cut to size! Helped a lot with decreasing evaporation, but did lower PAR some! So take that into consideration

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back